• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Polishing the Engine

powderpimp1

Expert
Ok so iv polished almost every thing on my sled. Next i want to polish the engine and under hood area but the cyl head is magneisum and iam unsure what products to use and steps to do it in. does anyone know how?

P.S. If anyone has pics of this please post.

Show up some pics of what you've polished so far! IMO, the under hood probably wouldn't be worth the time, you'll never see it, too hard to get to, and it'll be a complete b!t@# to keep up with!
But if you must, I would start in a small spot with a ROLOC disk on a die grinder. If you haven't used them before, they are like a scotchbrite pad (about 2 1/2") that attach to a gun style die grinder. I would start in an inconspicuous spot with a medium grit, and progress finer until you achieve your desired result. You should be able to polish it just like aluminum.

Good Luck!!

powderpimp1 said:
Ok so iv polished almost every thing on my sled. Next i want to polish the engine and under hood area but the cyl head is magneisum and iam unsure what products to use and steps to do it in. does anyone know how?
P.S. If anyone has pics of this please post.

Check with a local chrome shop if they do magnesium.
We were warned not to, for fear of starting them on fire.

Before chroming, parts are polished. This step maybe a problem. But do check with them.

Look into the Eastwood Co. They have a polish kit that will polish alum and Magneisum. They also have all the powder cooat stuff a guy could want.

Isnt it just the cam cover thats Magneisum? if so trade someone for an aluminum one.

It looks like only the cam cover is mag. @kennyspec & I thought the stator cover could have been mag also, but based on an application of muractic acid, only the cam cover reacted with bubbles.

Back