• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Power steering oppinions please.

I have about 1300 miles on our 11's standard Apex's. The power steering is amazing. I have pretty much gotten the sled dialed in. I have Ohlins up front so needed to adjust them, plus I have the 13mm sway bar added. Shimmed skis. One hole up on the limiter. One to two clicks harder on rebound up front from stock.

Sled is amazing for how little effort you need to exert on a days performance ride. I switch to my friends 07 Apex GT and it almost feels like going from an Apex to a Viper. The ride height on the 11 is higher and the power steering just reduces all the effort. I can not focus more on my set up line for each corner , more time focusing on seeing through corners, less time hanging on and fighting the sled in the corners. Yamaha makes the sled able to be set up for the rider, not set up for the average rider.

I switch to my friends Rev and XP and those sled do feel lighter yet, but they also bounce all over the trail and don't feel secure to the snow.

Very pleased.

Power steering is all its been racked up to be and more. My 2011 XTX is my 6th Apex, The EPS elevates it to another level. I am 53 years old and still like to ride hard when with the boys, First 155 mile trip and I wasn't all beat up from muscling the front end.

Hope this answers your question, this is just what this sled needed! Nice job Yamaha, this sled will keep me loyal for many years. Sorry SkiDoo, like the 1200 (wife's sled) and its suspension, but my sled of choice is still the Apex!

Direct Attack said:
At what mph does the power steering kick in and out or is it on all the time. Could some one explain this to me ?
I understand that it is supposed to taper off after 40 mph. I rode one and the steering seems to remain effortless at all speeds. This was a direct comparison riding my sled , then a EPS, then back to mine in same trail.

I got to demo the 11 se,xtx,nytro,nytro xtx over the weekend. We were the first ones there, they werent totally ready but they took a group out anyways.It was the best demo ride ever. We went maybe 15 miles on the lake and trails with no guide in the back, just the lead guy. He went at a pretty good clip at times so it really gave us a good impression on the sleds. I ride an 07 rtx so thats what i based my impressions off.
Apex se,xtx were really impressive. Little to no darting whats so ever. They both had woodies doolies on. Very close for non darting as my snowtrackers, but not quite the steering accuracy.Motor seemed quiter than mine and a meaner growl to it.Very impressed with the lack of engine braking on all the new ones. If that used to bother people, its a non-issue now.Compared to the nytros the power steering was very noticable,but i didnt think it was all that much easier than mine. I liked it no doubt though.Steered way easier than the revs i ride with.Suspension was pretty plush, but not the eye opener difference from my rtx as i thought it would be. the mono sucked up the small stuff great but lost it composure pretty fast in the really rough stuff. I wasnt super impressed with the way the xtx hooked up or handled the rough trails. I thought there would a bigger difference from my 121. Granted the conditions werent ideal for the longer tracks.Overall the apex's were some of the smoothest sleds for trail riding Ive ever been on,impressive. As far as the nytros,everything Ive heard about them is true. The first thing you notice is how darty and twitchy that front end is.They did just have standard carbides on them.Loved the seating position, but not the bar placement.Too high sitting down and they seem to go up and out when turning. They could be a fun sled if you could settle the front end down. Surprisingly the nyto se 121 went through the 1 foot or so rough stuff on the lake the best out of all the sleds we rode. It was the only one i could sit down on through this section and not get pitched off the seat. If money wasnt an issue i would buy a apex xtx out of all the machines.

As you said, ". If money wasnt an issue i would buy a apex xtx out of all the machines."

I could not agree more XTX is incredible

went back to riding my polaris xlt for a day and comparing that to my old 07 attak man did it steer light. well after riding my apex xtx with power steering and going back to riding that xlt....well what a difference. its hard to believe, uncomfortable best explains that xlt now

My XTX is just sitting in my driveway waiting to be dialled in and driven hard. Need some time off to enjoy it before winter is gone!!!!! Come on 21st get the whole day off to go riding

zeke-xtx said:
My XTX is just sitting in my driveway waiting to be dialled in and driven hard. Need some time off to enjoy it before winter is gone!!!!! Come on 21st get the whole day off to go riding
I'd gladly beat... i mean uh ride it for you!

Best Ever!!!

Switched from Polaris to Yamaha with the RX-1 in 2000...then bought a Warrior, Apex, Nytro, Nytro XTX, and now a 2011 Apex SE...absolutely incredible!! Riding with shims and Bergstrom Triple Points and this thing feels as light as a 440 fan...also have a 07 Apex that is really dialed in so I can switch back and forth to feel the difference...as my friends that have ridden the 11 tell others "don't ride that Apex SE...you won't want to ride your sled anymore" ;)!

Back