• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Power steering?

MMStewy

Veteran
I haven't seen how the new power steering system works on the new Apex, but I think Yamaha is definitely onto something here. I suspect the sled still uses all the steering linkages with a power steering assist similar to highway vehicles. Correct me if I'm wrong.
But think of this. A sled with a completely "fly-by-wire" power steering system that eliminates all the complexity and the weight of the steering linkages, and uses a simple power steering pump and hydraulic actuator to steer the skis with very little input from the bars.
That would be a game changer!

Any failure of any one of the parts will result in a total loss of steering. There is a reason they don't do this in sleds or cars and trucks for that matter. Wost case is you have manual steering.

Look at toyota there having enough problems with Throttle by wire..... :drink:

Is that Fly By Wire, or Die By Wire. Took Honda 3 years to get the Manual Trans Civic to drive anywhere near decent with the Drive By Wire throttle. Don't think we will ever be ready for that!

Nissan/Infiniti/BMW etc all have drive by wire 1 big difference is that on the others VS Toyota if you floor the gas and step on the brake at the same time the computer kills the throttle.

srvfan said:
Nissan/Infiniti/BMW etc all have drive by wire 1 big difference is that on the others VS Toyota if you floor the gas and step on the brake at the same time the computer kills the throttle.

Yes but they talking about steer by wire. BMW has had drive by wire since 1988. Yes unlike Toyota gas and brake at the same time kills the throttle :) VW/Audi and Mercedes also use similar systems.

I am an European Auto Tech so I know this stuff well.

The car industries up in northern part of Sweden is testing fly by wire steering on cars.

But I dont see that big difference in a snowmobile except adding weight. The complexity of steering in a snowmobile is not that big or heavy.

A hydralic pump, oil tank and so on... yes... heavy.

The yeps is simply power assist. If it fails, you get normal steering. Will it fail? No! It is bullet proof in the ATVs which get jarred, swamped, big huge tires, tracks, etc.

Basically an electric motor with a polymer that is flexible that grips a cog that adds assist. Everything is in line and connected. Very simple and works very well.

There are aftermarket companies like Highlifter that sell power steering units similar to Yamaha's and Honda's. Will work on any ATV or Snowmobile. Just need some skill.

MMStewy said:
A sled with a completely "fly-by-wire" power steering system that eliminates all the complexity and the weight of the steering linkages, and uses a simple power steering pump and hydraulic actuator to steer the skis with very little input from the bars.

Just like a tractor ;)! John Deere had this for years, hydraulic steering.

I appreciate innovation, in fact, it's my job to develop new technology, but I have mixed feelings about Yamaha's decision to go with power steering on a snowmobile. Obviously this implementation took a great amount of effort from a lot of smart people and it does address the complaint of heavy steering on four-strokes but so would have dropping 50-pounds. This innovation seems to have ignored the KISS principle altogether.

From my point of view, just because you can do something technologically advanced doesn't mean it's the best way to achieve your goals. My preference would have been to cut the addition of moving parts and electronics in favor of a simplified design (clearly the EXUP system isn’t the easiest way to achieve the same gains). I'll give into fuel injection and electronic ignition but nix all the other magic and give me a stronger sub-frame, less ice buildup and something below a 2-grand bump in price.

birkebeiner said:
MMStewy said:
A sled with a completely "fly-by-wire" power steering system that eliminates all the complexity and the weight of the steering linkages, and uses a simple power steering pump and hydraulic actuator to steer the skis with very little input from the bars.

Just like a tractor ;)! John Deere had this for years, hydraulic steering.

Just remember that a tractor tops out at what, 20 kph?

And note: One of the most frustrating aspects of heavy equipment. A leaky hydraulic steering system means that you keep losing your steering. My Case 580 has hydraulic steering, got to add fluid about every 5 hours or you lose steering.

Back