• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Power Timer Giveaway & News from AREA 51

Rockmeister

TY Advertiser
Website
www.yamaheater.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Attak - LOVE my sled!!!
Hi Guys!

Have been very busy so news From Area 51 has been rare.
Figured you would like to hear about some stuff!

We have been working diligently on a number of projects, one being the Power Timer.
We have been calling it the Smart Timer.

Mainly because it IS Smart!

Imagine this:
Out on a ride, you stop for a friendly trail stop.
You shut-down your sled & not long afterwards, all your electronics shuts down.
Even your GPS as the battery doesn't like the cold.
And you would really like to be able to check out your GPS prior to taking off again!

So later you wire your gps directly to your battery so it will stay on at trail stops.
The problem now becomes you forget that it is on and it kills & damages your battery by draining it.
(Everytime you run your battery totally dead, it damages it some)

Enter the Smart Timer:
It detects that your sled is running and automatically starts your electronics, such as GPS you have connected to it.
When you shut your sled off, it detects that your sled is off & starts a timer.
When the timing period ends, it will shut down all powered devices & wait until your sled is started again.
While it is off, the timer current draw is incredibly low.
So low in fact, that it would take over 10 YEARS to even partially discharge your battery.
(Your battery will self-discharge MUCH faster)
Timer is a very small sealed unit. Approx 2 x 1.5 x 1"

So, from now on you simply wire your GPS or other devices & let the timer remember to turn itself on & off, you simply enjoy using the stuff!
You forget & put your sled in the Trailer/Garage?
Not a problem, the timer takes care of it!
You remember nothing, you forget nothing.
No dead battery. Easy, you just ride! : ) :sled1:

There are a few things I want to run by you guys:

Naming:
What name would you suggest for the Timer?
(Or do you like our working name now?)

Timing:
The timing is selectable.
Default = 1 Hour (Selectable from 1/2 a minute thru 16 Hours)

Am thinking a 1 hour timing as default. (Will accomodate most trail stops?)

Connections:
Will have a Plug&Play model for Apex/Nytro Etc (Japan Chassis) sleds & Viper/Sidewinder (Procross) chassis for sure.

What kind of connections would you suggest for a universal model, such as older sleds, and/or brands we don't make a P&P unit for?
Input Connections?

Output Connections?
How would you like to connect your GPS? (Or other stuff?)

Wires:
How long should wires be for a universal fit?

Am sure I/We/You will think of things to add here, am open to positive suggestions!

Here is the Giveaway part!

Looking for good answers to the above.
You can post or PM your best answers for all items, or just one or anything in between
(Or a positive idea not on the list)

The best answers as determined by us, will receive a free Smart Timer!
Thinking 3 Giveaways now, however the number may increase with great timer ideas!

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Rock :-o

Last edited:

sounding good rock. on the power supply i have on the et410, i had an old motorcycle harness i stole the double female bullet connectors from to hook both it and my tac into to get it to work. might be different for the sx chassis sleds but all the pogos i have worked on have those connectors.

Hi Maim!

The timer will only work on sleds with batteries.
Are you saying the power connections from the battery have Bullet connectors?

Was thinking a Ring Connector For Hot & one for Ground & connecting directly to the battery as a universal model?

Name=> Smart Power Down
Time - hour is great default if no concerns with battery life I don’t see big advantages to custom selectable
Connecting by plug and play can’t be beat.
Wire length I think you’re the expert

I’m interested for my Viper are they available and what is the cost?

Hey yamadoo!
They will be available for your Viper very soon.
We are getting ahead on other products right now, then will be building these in production.
Cost, not sure yet.
Will most likely do an introductory price to get them out there, & then raise them to regular price.
Yours could be free from the Giveaway : )

that will work rock. if the universal leads are long enough to get to the battery on a winder or viper, it would work on all older sleds.

On the Winder & Viper, it will be P&P under the dash.
Short leads on that one, no need to run directly to the battery.

The universal will be quite different, with ring terminals on the ends to connect directly to the battery(s).
One wire question is how long to make the leads so they get to the battery and to a place you may want to mount the unit.
(Am thinking 18"?)

The 2nd wire question is how to leave the output connection?
As a wire you crimp to?
As a connector with pigtails (wire) hanging out of it you connect to?

plan on mounting it on the hood behind windsheild on an rx sled and give enough cable to get to a battery with ring terminals crimped on.

as for the output, make it so it matches up with your smart supply plugs for the sled as the device will most likely be plugged into that once they have one.

:-o
Hi Guys!

Have been very busy so news From Area 51 has been rare.
Figured you would like to hear about some stuff!

We have been working diligently on a number of projects, one being the Power Timer.
We have been calling it the Smart Timer.

Mainly because it IS Smart!

Imagine this:
Out on a ride, you stop for a friendly trail stop.
You shut-down your sled & not long afterwards, all your electronics shuts down.
Even your GPS as the battery doesn't like the cold.
And you would really like to be able to check out your GPS prior to taking off again!

So later you wire your gps directly to your battery so it will stay on at trail stops.
The problem now becomes you forget that it is on and it kills & damages your battery by draining it.
(Everytime you run your battery totally dead, it damages it some)

Enter the Smart Timer:
It detects that your sled is running and automatically starts your electronics, such as GPS you have connected to it.
When you shut your sled off, it detects that your sled is off & starts a timer.
When the timing period ends, it will shut down all powered devices & wait until your sled is started again.
While it is off, the timer current draw is incredibly low.
So low in fact, that it would take over 10 YEARS to even partially discharge your battery.
(Your battery will self-discharge MUCH faster)
Timer is a very small sealed unit. Approx 2 x 1.5 x 1"

So, from now on you simply wire your GPS or other devices & let the timer remember to turn itself on & off, you simply enjoy using the stuff!
You forget & put your sled in the Trailer/Garage?
Not a problem, the timer takes care of it!
You remember nothing, you forget nothing.
No dead battery. Easy, you just ride! : ) :sled1:

There are a few things I want to run by you guys:

Naming:
What name would you suggest for the Timer?
(Or do you like our working name now?)

Timing:
The timing is selectable.
Default = 1 Hour (Selectable from 1/2 a minute thru 16 Hours)

Am thinking a 1 hour timing as default. (Will accomodate most trail stops?)

Connections:
Will have a Plug&Play model for Apex/Nytro Etc (Japan Chassis) sleds & Viper/Sidewinder (Procross) chassis for sure.

What kind of connections would you suggest for a universal model, such as older sleds, and/or brands we don't make a P&P unit for?
Input Connections?

Output Connections?
How would you like to connect your GPS? (Or other stuff?)

Wires:
How long should wires be for a universal fit?

Am sure I/We/You will think of things to add here, am open to positive suggestions!

Here is the Giveaway part!

Looking for good answers to the above.
You can post or PM your best answers for all items, or just one or anything in between
(Or a positive idea not on the list)

The best answers as determined by us, will receive a free Smart Timer!
Thinking 3 Giveaways now, however the number may increase with great timer ideas!

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Rock :-o

Very impressed... you basically created a RAP module. In the automotive world that’s what we call it.
Retained accessory power module.
Keeps things live until there is a input to power down. In your case your using a predetermined timer countdown.
With all the add on electronics we use now on our sleds this is AWESOME!!!:-o

24in of wire with zip ties. Will this somehow tie into the 12 volt accessory plug on the sled or will we have to wire directly to it?

Name: ez time(r), time-off

Last edited:
plan on mounting it on the hood behind windsheild on an rx sled and give enough cable to get to a battery with ring terminals crimped on.

as for the output, make it so it matches up with your smart supply plugs for the sled as the device will most likely be plugged into that once they have one.

We can make a P&P for the RX for ya maim!
If there is enough demand, will make many P&P for the RX/RS Sleds.
Let's hear it guys, is there enough demand for RX/RS Sleds?

For the RX1 the wire would be Looong to get to the dash from the battery. (Maybe that is the reason to make the harness for the RX/RS no matter what?)
FYI Generally the RX/RS stuff will also fit on the older SRV SRX Electric start Vipers also. (Need someone to test this exact case, who has a SRV SRX to test with & wants free stuff?)
(What the heck do we call the 2-stroke Vipers that everyone will understand now that we have a new Viper??)

Like your thinking about mating to the Smart Supply, was thinking the same.

Last edited:
:-o

Very impressed... you basically created a RAP module. In the automotive world that’s what we call it.
Retained accessory power module.
Keeps things live until there is a input to power down. In your case your using a predetermined timer countdown.
With all the add on electronics we use now on our sleds this is AWESOME!!!:-o

Appreciate your comments!

Hardest part was getting the idle current draw down to insane low levels, while still being stable & accurate in sensing.
The less current things run on, the more sensitive they tend to be to outside noise etc, & less stable.
The unit is still barely running when off, checking to see if you start the engine ready to power up again.
However the idle current is so low, you can leave it connected to your battery all summer & it wont hurt a thing.
Easy, like making things easy!

Back