• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Prep for 2 up riding 2016 SR viper RTX 12

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Viper RTX
Looking to upgrade rear torsion springs to accommodate 200lb combined passenger and 2 up seat load on a129 skid viper RTX

I am 200 pounds and I trail ride with my kid at around 100 pounds on a 2 up seat on my 14 RTX and have not had any issues with the stock springs on the second position of the adjustment block. I have ridden on the lake with my wife at around 150 pounds and it felt fine. I have the upgraded 4 position adjustment blocks and would think if you put those on and cranked them all of the way up you would be fine. The problem with heavier springs is if you ride by yourself then you are stuck with way too much spring. I know Barn of Parts has the 4 position blocks on his site.

If wanting a backrest for the 2nd rider, I know my friend with his Viper went with an Artic Cat setup as Yamaha did not offer one. I'm not sure of the details but will see him this weekend and find out what he used.

I have the cat setup which works really nice, it is a seat, backrest, new bumper (seat mounts to this), and heated hand grips. The only drawback is the cost it runs almost 1K all said and done.

My only complaint is that it requires bolts to mount it and my cover doesn't fit with it on so while it only takes a few minutes to put on/take off it isn't fun when it is cold and everything is covered in snow/ice. If you have an enclosed trailer this wouldn't be a concern.

Yep, that's the setup he has; although he did not mention how much it cost. Then again, he's an optometrist so...:drink:

As for removing the two-up seat setup, he only puts it on when his son take his girlfriend/soon-to-be-wife along but does have an enclosed trailer so the cover issues is probably something he hasn't had to contend with.

I am 200 pounds and I trail ride with my kid at around 100 pounds on a 2 up seat on my 14 RTX and have not had any issues with the stock springs on the second position of the adjustment block. I have ridden on the lake with my wife at around 150 pounds and it felt fine. I have the upgraded 4 position adjustment blocks and would think if you put those on and cranked them all of the way up you would be fine. The problem with heavier springs is if you ride by yourself then you are stuck with way too much spring. I know Barn of Parts has the 4 position blocks on his site.
Received the BOP 4 position blocks today. Any tips on the install would be appreciated.

Lift up the back of the sled up high. Release the spring tension by unbolting the mounting bracket behind the front idler wheel. The blocks have a retainer clip holding them on. Use a screwdriver to work it off. The new blocks just slide on and the clip pushes back on, you can use a socket to tap it on if need be. put the blocks on 1 and retension the springs. It can be a little tricky putting the bolts back in. Once you have it all back together you can use a wrench to adjust the new tension blocks.

My only complaint is that it requires bolts to mount it and my cover doesn't fit with it on so while it only takes a few minutes to put on/take off it isn't fun when it is cold and everything is covered in snow/ice. If you have an enclosed trailer this wouldn't be a concern.
I have this seat on both our sleds. The bolts are a pain so instead I found some 1/4" pins and drilled the holes to match. With a washer on either side I hold them in with cotter pins. The seats are easily and quickly removed. 3 years in and no issues!

Back