• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Primary clutch exploded

69redmach!

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX SE
7300 miles. Thunder Racing clutch kit. I was doing 120 mph across a lake and this happened. Debris broke my secondary too and air box and hood. Pieces went right through my upper clutch guard.

Attachments

• Resized_20181229_095352.jpeg
    Resized_20181229_095352.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,363

Lucky you didn’t get hurt! Both sheaves broken of just the moveable? I’ve never seen them break that bad....

Outside of secondary only. Chunk missing. Never blew the belt and the belly pan was unscathed. Everything came out the top

Evo 260 tune. I've never blown a belt and rarely did top end runs.

Damn.....seems like more and more clutches coming apart.

How much HP/tune?

Switching over to a TEAM is more and more on my mind.

Dan
EEvvoEv

You probably had destroyed roller and the weight pass trough ..:-(. Sad!!!! Not the first time i see this:drink:

Our clutch need a lot of attention......

Did you have stock clutch arms or did you install aftermarket. ? Do you know what weight you were running and what RPM did It happen at? Very sorry for your misshap

9100 rpms. I had installed the complete clutch kit last year including rollers and arms. Probably had 2500 miles on this. I do mostly high mile trail rides. It was running well up until this point.

You probably had destroyed roller and the weight pass trough ..:-(. Sad!!!! Not the first time i see this:drink:

Our clutch need a lot of attention......

I'd guess thats the problem here. Worn rollers and those shorter than most, Heavy Hitters rolled right past the worn out rollers and bang, ripped them right out of the clutch as it was fully shifted out. Every one I've seen broke has had these HH weights in them.

The clutch did not completely explode though, which is good. I don't see this as a Yamaha clutch problem, other than the worn out bushings. The HH arms are just shorter than they probably should be. Fine with good rollers, but worn out bushings and they roll right off the roller. Set them side by side with most any other brand weight and you'll see how much shorter they are.

I'd guess thats the problem here. Worn rollers and those shorter than most, Heavy Hitters rolled right past the worn out rollers and bang, ripped them right out of the clutch as it was fully shifted out. Every one I've seen broke has had these HH weights in them.

The clutch did not completely explode though, which is good. I don't see this as a Yamaha clutch problem, other than the worn out bushings. The HH arms are just shorter than they probably should be. Fine with good rollers, but worn out bushings and they roll right off the roller. Set them side by side with most any other brand weight and you'll see how much shorter they are.
I did not like those HHs for setup either.....Daltons for me ever since.

Good to know Mike!
Dan

9100 rpms. I had installed the complete clutch kit last year including rollers and arms. Probably had 2500 miles on this. I do mostly high mile trail rides. It was running well up until this point.
really ok i though maybe it was higher rpm but 9100 is good that’s weird

7300 miles. Thunder Racing clutch kit. I was doing 120 mph across a lake and this happened. Debris broke my secondary too and air box and hood. Pieces went right through my upper clutch guard.
Man you are one lucky man,wow that's bad,i wonder what yamaha is going to say to this?? What tune you running,and any idea roughly what PSI motor was at when this happened.

Back