• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Primary Clutch stuck to Stub Shaft - Help!

Once you get pressure on it sometimes just a little heat pops it off without damage to the bushings.

:dunno:

Ya - I had the same thing happen to me this summer. Although I didn't take the pto housing off. Primary was completely stuck on. Bent 4 pullers, wrecked my impact gun and still nothing. Tried heat - nothing worked.

So - in an effort to help you save some time and not turn this into the giant screw up I had - I will share what another told me to do. Take your bent puller. Cut approx. 1.5" off the end with the grinder. Fill the bolt hole with grease, then add gear oil. Use white plumbers tape on the puller threads (add a lot). Push the puller in the bolt hole and mix the slurry up so its goo. You will feel when you have good hydraulic pressure, and the air is out. Then start threading it in.

Hit it with the impact gun and keep going - and stand back. When mine come off, the clutch drove the impact gun into my side. Felt like I had internal organ damage - no joke. Also sounded like a gun went off - bang!

Had I done that from the start - I would have turned an 18 hour screw up into 30 minutes. Now I know. Never had this happen before, so am thankful guys helped me out.

In the meantime, I had damaged the threads in the pto shaft from the pulller bending - which needed to be cleaned up with a tap. Because we were tapping on the end of the puller when it was under tension, I damaged the pto bearing, so that had to be replaced. The grease/oil slurry would have saved all that.
MS

Ya - I had the same thing happen to me this summer. Although I didn't take the pto housing off. Primary was completely stuck on. Bent 4 pullers, wrecked my impact gun and still nothing. Tried heat - nothing worked.

So - in an effort to help you save some time and not turn this into the giant screw up I had - I will share what another told me to do. Take your bent puller. Cut approx. 1.5" off the end with the grinder. Fill the bolt hole with grease, then add gear oil. Use white plumbers tape on the puller threads (add a lot). Push the puller in the bolt hole and mix the slurry up so its goo. You will feel when you have good hydraulic pressure, and the air is out. Then start threading it in.

Hit it with the impact gun and keep going - and stand back. When mine come off, the clutch drove the impact gun into my side. Felt like I had internal organ damage - no joke. Also sounded like a gun went off - bang!

Had I done that from the start - I would have turned an 18 hour screw up into 30 minutes. Now I know. Never had this happen before, so am thankful guys helped me out.

In the meantime, I had damaged the threads in the pto shaft from the pulller bending - which needed to be cleaned up with a tap. Because we were tapping on the end of the puller when it was under tension, I damaged the pto bearing, so that had to be replaced. The grease/oil slurry would have saved all that.
MS

Very good suggestion! My issue is the end of my puller inside the shaft seems to have mushroomed or just bent in there so I can't get the puller out at all, which sucks big time. Maybe the dealer will call me tomorrow and they fixed it......... Highly unlikely, I will more likely owe them money for their time and still need to cut it up

Yeah I figure worst case I need to replace the inner sheave if I have to cut it in half, or I get a PB80. Would love to save the stub shaft but that might be hard. Dealer price for a new one is almost the same as Hurricane's so I would just get that. What a royal PITA, lesson learned though, only brand name piler from now on, I got this one at a local parts supplier and it was black metal. Sucks!

Well here’s hoping that your dealer has seen this before and has a remedy without damage!
Your situation would have been made worse if riding season was here and you were missing out because of that Dam stubborn clutch. Who knows what one is capable of destroying when snow is calling and your machine can’t answer that call with you.

Very good suggestion! My issue is the end of my puller inside the shaft seems to have mushroomed or just bent in there so I can't get the puller out at all, which sucks big time. Maybe the dealer will call me tomorrow and they fixed it......... Highly unlikely, I will more likely owe them money for their time and still need to cut it up

I know this doesn't help - but I think you have a 'worst case scenario' on your hands.

I gather using the impact gun in reverse will not drag the mushroomed puller back out? Even if it hurts the threads on the pto shaft?

If you can get it out, i guess you have to start cutting the shaft off. There are shafts out there, you can always pull a shaft out of wrecked sled. Call travis from BOP, he has some.

Keep us posted. I spent an insane amount of time this summer messing with mine. I understand your frustration.
MS

I know this doesn't help - but I think you have a 'worst case scenario' on your hands.

I gather using the impact gun in reverse will not drag the mushroomed puller back out? Even if it hurts the threads on the pto shaft?

If you can get it out, i guess you have to start cutting the shaft off. There are shafts out there, you can always pull a shaft out of wrecked sled. Call travis from BOP, he has some.

Keep us posted. I spent an insane amount of time this summer messing with mine. I understand your frustration.
MS
Yeah unfortunately the puller is able to thread 99% of the way out then gets stuck so yeah, worst case scenario. I was going to get a new primary anyways so I'm not the most worried about that moreso salvaging the Stub Shaft but I can likely get one from Travis as well.

Really annoying for sure, but better now than mid season that's very true!

Ok, Update from Dealer, they said "You are F$%^$&&%" lol Awesome! Nothing they can do he said. They he sounded worried and asked me how I got the stub shaft out with the clutch on, he through I just ripped the bolts out of the case..... o_Oo_Oo_O I said no, I spent 1.5hours with a tiny 10mm and went a few turns at a time until I got all the bolts loose and could pull the stub shaft out :home: He sounded impressed lol Then he's like best case scenario I'm looking at $2500 in parts..... yeah

I am ordering a PB80 as we speak so that's good. Now I just need to find a Stub Shaft.

Ok, Update from Dealer, they said "You are F$%^$&&%" lol Awesome! Nothing they can do he said. They he sounded worried and asked me how I got the stub shaft out with the clutch on, he through I just ripped the bolts out of the case..... o_Oo_Oo_O I said no, I spent 1.5hours with a tiny 10mm and went a few turns at a time until I got all the bolts loose and could pull the stub shaft out :home: He sounded impressed lol Then he's like best case scenario I'm looking at $2500 in parts..... yeah

I am ordering a PB80 as we speak so that's good. Now I just need to find a Stub Shaft.
Weld a couple nuts on the end of the puller and get a slide hammer on it, similar to cannondales suggestion. The puller is garbage anyway.
Worth a try.

Weld a couple nuts on the end of the puller and get a slide hammer on it, similar to cannondales suggestion. The puller is garbage anyway.
Worth a try.
I will try that for sure, but I need a new clutch regardless, and I hated the rattle, so it's like a backwards bonus...lol

Ordered PB80 with the new Cap and Dual Spring setup, should be here Friday not really anyone running that clutch who posts in here so will be interesting to try it out.

Now to get my stub shaft free lol

Ordered PB80 with the new Cap and Dual Spring setup, should be here Friday not really anyone running that clutch who posts in here so will be interesting to try it out.

Now to get my stub shaft free lol
Keep us updated on the pb80!!!

Back