• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Primary rollers questions

ryama

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder R-TX
Starting to get my parts together for fall maintenance. And want to replace the primary rollers , before they cause problems. Is the general consensus , aftermarket.....or OEM being the better roller.

Last edited:

Starting to get my parts together for fall maintenance. And want to replace the primary rollers , before they cause problems. Is the general consensus , aftermarket.....or OEM being the better roller.
Best thing to do is remove them and measure the wear to see if they are within tolerance before replacing

just replace them with a quality roller, like Thunder products that Hurricane sells.

15.5mm rollers from a viper clutch. 7000+kms at 270+hp on mine.

just replace them with a quality roller, like Thunder products that Hurricane sells.
1500 miles 2019 srx and mine are still like new

5500 miles on my originals and they still look good. I do a quick check of my primary rollers after each ride, and did take them out for inspection at 5000 miles because of all the problems noted with them on this site.

Mine have been a bit loose since day one, when compared to other Yamahas that I have owned, but each time I tear it apart for inspection all bushings are perfectly round and show no new wear yet.

EcoTrail tune and then upgraded to Max Spool 16 tune 3000 miles ago. Also tried a primary clutch kit, but went back to stock ramps with added weight for lower engagement and more consistent WOT rpm.
Maybe they are lasting because I do not use studs (1.22 Ice Attack w/ 268? Or so Pre studded)

Not sure why mine are lasting, but I will say that this thing rocks on the trails. Low engagement makes for less track spin out of the hole and after 10-15 ‘ that track is hooked, With exception to ice of course!

5500 miles on my originals and they still look good. I do a quick check of my primary rollers after each ride, and did take them out for inspection at 5000 miles because of all the problems noted with them on this site.

Mine have been a bit loose since day one, when compared to other Yamahas that I have owned, but each time I tear it apart for inspection all bushings are perfectly round and show no new wear yet.

EcoTrail tune and then upgraded to Max Spool 16 tune 3000 miles ago. Also tried a primary clutch kit, but went back to stock ramps with added weight for lower engagement and more consistent WOT rpm.
Maybe they are lasting because I do not use studs (1.22 Ice Attack w/ 268? Or so Pre studded)

Not sure why mine are lasting, but I will say that this thing rocks on the trails. Low engagement makes for less track spin out of the hole and after 10-15 ‘ that track is hooked, With exception to ice of course!
Dennis,you still stock secondary everything? What was your engagement with the Dalton ramps and what primary spring did you run with his ramps?

Dennis,you still stock secondary everything? What was your engagement with the Dalton ramps and what primary spring did you run with his ramps?

Woody had my clutches machined with my first Eco trail tune, along with his moddded stock muffler back in beginning of 2018 season.
Primary faces machined so that the belt will use all but an 1/8”. Secondary coil pocket machined .070

Engagement with Dalton and Yamaha Blue/Brown spring was 3200, a bit higher with stock primary spring.

Now at 2800 cold, and a bit lower after clutches get warmed up with the stock ramps with weight added.

Did not want to spend anymore for part testing, so I used what I had, and it works really sweet. Retiree budget.

Last edited:
Woody had my clutches machined with my first Eco trail tune, along with his moddded stock muffler back in beginning of 2018 season.
Primary faces machined so that the belt will use all but an 1/8”. Secondary coil pocket machined .070

Engagement with Dalton and Yamaha Blue/Brown spring was 3200, a bit higher with stock primary spring.

Now at 2800 cold, and a bit lower after clutches get warmed up with the stock ramps with weight added.

Did not want to spend anymore for part testing, so I used what I had, and it works really sweet. Retiree budget.
Ha ha I like that retiree budget idea too,lol.

Keep an eye on your rollers even if running aftermarket ones. The bushings were shot in mine at 1800 miles when I checked them. I picked them up at the Milwaukee snow show last fall.

7A4BA724-B326-49BE-B22B-1397F0367B89.jpeg 992899F6-0C34-4AA7-B041-BBD9656912CA.jpeg If you are a do it yourself guy ... These replaceable Yamaha duralon bushings last very well in the original Yamaha rollers ( and you get to use the 14.5 mm roller) . The biggest problem I have found is the stock bushings move in the roller binding the roller, then u are only a couple hundred miles from disaster with weights going past the roller destroying clutch.These fit much tighter than the original bushings.

Last edited:
I just tore my clutches down and my stock primary rollers at 10000 Kms still look ok in my books... The bushings all look good, no uneven wear, the bushings haven't moved out of the rollers. Compared to a set of Nytro rollers I have I cant tell the difference. Not sure if I should replace them or not. I've been tuned for 9000 Kms.

Back