• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Problem - Should I Cut the Tunnel Protectors?

Sevey

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder RTX
Would like to hear from anyone that has removed their tunnel protectors.

Last season I cuffed a ditch pretty hard and took on some damage. As a result the tunnel is no longer 'true'. The exhaust pipe from cyclinder one (port side) should be about 1/4" higher than the tunnel protector but on my sled is only 1/8". There is evidence that the protector has even contacted and slightly dented the exhaust. Likely from another hit of jarring of the sled.

I am going to try and shimm the tunnel protector down with a small aluminum plate by drilling out the rivets on the bracket that holds the protector. That may buy a little space.

The only other idea I could come up with is remove the front half of the tunnel protectors right up to the heat exchanger.

Anyone have any ideas here? Is there anything I need to be concerned with if they are removed.
Thanks
MS

I would remove them if you don't have studs, I'm running an ice cobra 1.6" and I had grizz tunnel cooler block off plate in and it helped but I think it held more heat on low snow days so I'm taking out tunnel potectors out to reduce ice buildup and hopefully heat. Just another summer project.

I have fabricated a block off plate at the rear as well. It works well.

So I have cut two small plates to shim the mounting bracket, but I don't thing 3/16 + 1/8 is going to be enough. The mounting bracket is still too far away from the exhaust pipe to increase the spacing. Worth a try but I think the grinder with a cutting disc is going to have to make an appearance.

I will just remove the section of protectors ahead of the block off plate to the front heat exchanger. That should cut down on icing pretty much.
MS

A lot of the icing happens in the rear always from exhaust heat. If you're not running over 1 3/4" track, it's not going to hurt anything to ditch the protectors completely.
I have a few pairs of them I the shelf if you want a straight set..

Thanks !
The tunnel protector is actually not bent, nor is the exhaust. But something has been compressed for the spacing to have changed.
Sounds like the easiest is to just chop them out. Appreciate the confirmation.
MS

Been running without tunnel protector for 5 years now with no issue. Track is 1 1/2 " ripsaw, original owner took them off to help with ice build up. Since installed a tunnel block off plate, day and night. Only reason to keep the tunnel protector is if you are planning on running a studded track as far as I'm aware.

I would remove them if you don't have studs, I'm running an ice cobra 1.6" and I had grizz tunnel cooler block off plate in and it helped but I think it held more heat on low snow days so I'm taking out tunnel potectors out to reduce ice buildup and hopefully heat. Just another summer project.
how do you like the ice cobra 1.6 I'm looking at swapping my 1.75 out for one, i have 12,000KM on my track now has some lugs cracked along the edges from ice building up at the rear, terrible issue, any recommendations for a fix for that?

How do you like the 1.6 pre studded? I'm about to order one!

Good, just enough grip when it's icey and better floatation than the stock track. Got mine from dealer in Ontario for cheap. Knapp Yamaha, they promised best price and free shipping.

Good, just enough grip when it's icey and better floatation than the stock track. Got mine from dealer in Ontario for cheap. Knapp Yamaha, they promised best price and free shipping.
Sweet, you know the funny part i found that dealer on kijiji and called him this morning for a price and he's got the best price and free shipping to the maritimes only thing its backordered, but will be putting one on!!!

You won't regret it. Would not go any other way after fixing to many tunnel coolers from studs flying out.

Back