• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

QS3/QS3r/IQS Third position closer to #2 Mod

Do you ever use #3

• Yes

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • No

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Ride on 1 all the time don't ever adjust

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Ride on 2 all the time don't ever adjust

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Ride on 3 all the time don't ever adjust

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use all 3 positions most every ride

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
Who is interested? I will not valve any of these shocks softer since I believe #1 is borderline dangerously soft already. But I know many will never use #3 since it is hardcore stiff. Please take this poll so I can guage need and interest. Thank You!

Based on interest I will have the part I mod remade which would allow Modding of any and all positions separately without effecting any of the others.

For now I modded position 3 in a QS3R front shock to be softer especially at lower speeds under 35mph or so. This Dyno Chart shows that I was successful. Only position 3 was effected. The comparison stock shock and the modded shocks were both freshly rebuilt. I can do this mod to position 3 now for $20 with a refresh which is $30. If someone still thinks 3 is too stiff after this mod I can bring it closer to 2. This is a noticeable difference already. The sled or shock can be pushed up and down where stock it would not even move.
QS3 Mod Stock-vs-Mod Dyno2 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

First off, I know very little to nothing about shock theory. Just what I've understand from you, my son who used to work for Fox, and Fox themselves.
I would be interested in how you would accomplish softening #3 without softening #1 since the clicker is fixed according to Fox.
I asked Fox to make 3 feel like 2, 2 feel like 1, and 1 feel like .75 or so for my Wife's sled. Fox said they could not do anything with the clicker, but would re-valve so she would have a nicer ride. Not sure what that means.
You must be planning on eliminating the clicker and replacing with a 24 click needle valve like the rebound adjuster on a QS3r? Again, I know nothing.
Next re-build will be going to you for sure, Cannodale, since you are more comfortable thinking outside the box than Fox.

Going from stock HPG's up front to QS3R's, my impression is that 2 is noticeably stiffer than the stock shocks, and 1 is noticeably softer than the stocks. I have used 3 very rarely because it is so stiff; however, I have used it. That having been said, I find that I am switching from 2-1 and 1-2 fairly regularly depending upon conditions, and I am very happy with the shocks.

I use 1 and 2 most of the time. 1 could be a little stiffer, 2 is good all around setting and 3 is hard core big bumps. I could use a softer 3 and a stiffer 1. lol......
Sounds good for me also. QS3Rs.

First off, I know very little to nothing about shock theory. Just what I've understand from you, my son who used to work for Fox, and Fox themselves.
I would be interested in how you would accomplish softening #3 without softening #1 since the clicker is fixed according to Fox.
I asked Fox to make 3 feel like 2, 2 feel like 1, and 1 feel like .75 or so for my Wife's sled. Fox said they could not do anything with the clicker, but would re-valve so she would have a nicer ride. Not sure what that means.
You must be planning on eliminating the clicker and replacing with a 24 click needle valve like the rebound adjuster on a QS3r? Again, I know nothing.
Next re-build will be going to you for sure, Cannodale, since you are more comfortable thinking outside the box than Fox.
I will NOT eliminate the 3 position clicker. But based on interest I will tune each position seperatly or just mod 3 without effecting 1 and 2 which I have done already. Still stiffer than 2 but much closer. Frozen for your wife’s sled Valving and the clicker would need to be modded.

My sled is a mountain sled so with that in mind, I've only used position 3 once or twice. Mainly on a smooth groomed trail with lots of corners and I wanted the sled to corner flatter. (which it does)
Otherwise I usually run
#1 off trail/mountain (#2 in the rear shock if it's whooped out)
#1 slow trail speeds
#2 moderate trail speeds
BTW Steve, still loving the re-valve;)!;)!

I usually start the weekend on 1. Switch to 2 late Saturday afternoon. Back to 1 if I can catch some freshly groomed trails Sunday morning, but always end up pulling in the garage on 2.

My sled is a mountain sled so with that in mind, I've only used position 3 once or twice. Mainly on a smooth groomed trail with lots of corners and I wanted the sled to corner flatter. (which it does)
Otherwise I usually run
#1 off trail/mountain (#2 in the rear shock if it's whooped out)
#1 slow trail speeds
#2 moderate trail speeds
BTW Steve, still loving the re-valve;)!;)!
Thats interesting. This has always been my thought - #3 for perfect 1st tracks groomed trails for crispest "sports car" handling but I've never heard or read anyone else say it. #1 most of the time, #2 for whooped trails.

Stock NO
I had mine mine re-valved and they made the 3 more like 2.5.
I still don't use it, but i tried it on big fast bumps while playing around & it did the job.

Most of the time all of my shocks are set on 2. If I run on conditions that cause my to sled to overheat, I have no choice but to lower my sled by changing all settings to 1, and yes I do run and need Ice Scratchers. After 3 seasons of changing settings, I have found that all set on 2 except the rear on 1 allows for better cooling and pretty good aggressive riding.

But everything on 2 is where it is at for my style of riding. Best suspension I have ever owned because of those QS3R’s.
Have tried other Winders with cheaper shock package and not for me, so those could use some tweaking or change out!

So I would leave 1 & 2 alone but 3 is way too much. Maybe good for X game type guys!!

Stock NO
I had mine mine re-valved and they made the 3 more like 2.5.
I still don't use it, but i tried it on big fast bumps while playing around & it did the job.
Have you tried 1 since revalve? I worry about Valving softer since 1 is so soft already. Even groomed trails have that one oh #*$&@ washout or groomer pile once in awhile!

With my last/current set up, i use #1 on all 4 shocks until high speed bumps
Then i'll notch the rears to 2 starting with the back, but it's rare for me
I just don't bottom even with the softer springs i put in & the 4-way adjuster on low
I actually asked Hygear to make them softer so i can run more middle adjustments allowing me more adjustments either way

With my last/current set up, i use #1 on all 4 shocks until high speed bumps
Then i'll notch the rears to 2 starting with the back, but it's rare for me
I just don't bottom even with the softer springs i put in & the 4-way adjuster on low
I actually asked Hygear to make them softer so i can run more middle adjustments allowing me more adjustments either way
I hear ya. I am just paranoid since buddy with a new 9000 hit a small washout we all had gone over on trail 8 out of Shingleton New Years Eve day he was on 1 QS3 and took out his shoulder for rest of season.

Back