• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Quebec Lanaudiere St-Zenon/Manawan photo ride-report13/02/10

towing

Expert
Saturday morning 8:30, cloudy -9C

My wife and I started our ride from la Glacière in St-Zenon.

DSC07637Medium.jpg

The first target was to go to meet at Réserve faunique Rouge-Matawin restaurant our friends Coyote and jdventure that had started their ride from St-Donat. So we took the #63 trail to Mt-Tremblant park. Perfect freshly groomed trail to start...

DSC07640Medium.jpg

We quickly got on the #63 in the parc that have not been grommed up to the junction to the #33 trail but was not so bad. The clouds had disappeared and let place to a sunny clear sky...

DSC07650Medium.jpg

FCMQ guys stopped us to make a quick trailpass check...

DSC07651Medium.jpg

The #33 trail have been groomed and was pretty fast. Few minutes later we were at our meeting point at Rouge-Mattawin

DSC07656Medium.jpg

We don't wait very long and our friend jdventure arrived

DSC00688Medium.jpg

With Coyote, the only guy that is able to take 200 pics in a ride while driving :Wow1:

DSC07668Medium.jpg

The next target is to fuel up in St-Michel des Saints before getting north. The #33 trail down St-Michel was in great shape

DSC07658Medium.jpg

The snow cover is not thick but very good up to the junction for the Taureau Lake tour near St-Michel. We continued on #318 trail to go at gaz station near The Central in St-Michel. The 2 to 3 miles near St-Michel village were a little sandy but have to pass.

DSC07661Medium.jpg

The target is now to go lunching at Repos or Manawan via #33 trail. From St-Michel, we took the shortcut over the lake to auberge du Lac Taureau

DSC07664Medium.jpg

I had never seen the Taureau reservoir so low at this time of the year, it is near completely emptied. We had to be very careful because the ice cover is uneven with 3'-4' hidden drop that surprised us a couple time.

DSC07665Medium.jpg

The picture don't show how deep we were but I would estimate that the level is around 40' lower than the summer level, maybe more... very impressive...

DSC07666Medium.jpg

In front the auberge Du Lac taureau ...

DSC07670Medium.jpg

We took back the #33/360 trail that is on the border beach...

DSC07673Medium.jpg

In the 1 to 2 miles next, the trail is on the border and there is sand spots sometimes but it's not long and it became ok after with good snow cover.

DSC07680Medium.jpg

Near auberge CanadaVenture junction, we keep the #33 trail and went north in repos direction. Beautiful fast trail !!! just had to be carefull with few icy curves in the first section, it was riding really good.

DSC07687Medium.jpg

This trail is not outstanding for scenery but for the trail itself. It's a wide fast long strech trail. I love my sled in these kind of trail and my sled also seems to love them...

DSC07692Medium.jpg

Few miles before the #345 junction, the trail transfered on a couple lakes (not groomed) and is well marked and indicated. The trail is again groomed on the other side and we arrivied at #345 junction

DSC00692Medium.jpg

It was 13:00 and the Repos was 1.5miles south so we went there but there was alot of sleds around

DSC00695Medium.jpg

so we decided to make the 20 miles more to go to Manawan for the lunch. #345 trail, go...

DSC00703Medium.jpg

It was a little bumpy in curves but at good speed, the skid topped the bumps and we quickly arrived at Manawan indian reserve

DSC00734Medium.jpg

We ate at " La reserve " . The exterior of the restaurant looks not so good but the food was very good and service was nice.

DSC00731Medium.jpg

We fuel-up and went back on the #345 trail that we kept up to St-Zenon. South to the Repos, there are many fast strechs... very nice trail

DSC07718Medium.jpg

We took a break ...

DSC00766Medium.jpg

Near this little fall...

DSC00778Medium.jpg

After the break, we continued and the grooming on this section was near perfect. Maybe some of you will recognize this place, the sign that we see on this pic, similar as a railway sign indicate a moose crossing!!

DSC00789Medium.jpg

We arrived at #360 junction at took dam direction. The groomer have just passed !!! perfect...

DSC07733Medium.jpg

It was already late and the darkness arrived quickly.We crossed the dam and just few miles farther we crossed...

DSC00810Medium.jpg

Lucky guy I was, the first of the bunch on this hard base trail topped with an even powder coating ... a pleasure to ride up to the Cabanon where we stopped for the last fuel up.

DSC00812Medium.jpg

And we go back at our starting point, La Glaciere where our friends had booked for the night. For my wife and I, it's the home return run... total: 280 miles on dreammeter

To conclude, a very nice ride. The only less good trail condition were only few miles very near St-Michel Village on the 280 miles we made. The rest of the circuit was very nice and the more north we got , the better the conditions were and more snow coverage we got. Few sledders we talked to, told us that more north than we got was even better. It also seems that there are very few sled on the weekdays, less than usually so the trails conditions over the week keep outstanding. If you have the chance to get there outside of the weekend, you will have even betters conditions... And the last advice, if you try the Taureau reservoir trail, keep the trail where everybody ride, don't go farther than auberge du Lac Taureau on the ice and resist the temptation to explore the lake, it's dangerous and few sleds already sunk in doing that. No people injured yet but don't get in statistics...

:Rockon:

Alain

Back