• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Question regarding gutting 2011 apex xtx exhaust

Nickster514

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2011 Apex XTX, 2010 Phazer RTX
Hey guys I found a post where someone gutted there stock apex exhaust on a 2006 I was wondering if I could do it on a 2011 apex. It has exup so I wanted to know if it will mess with the system or if I will have to do anything differently when gutting it. Thank you.

Have heard it being done on the RX sleds, not on a Apex but don't see why not.
However here in the states between loud exhaust and off trail riding it is endangering trails here with private landowners and town access trails going by residents houses.

Have heard it being done on the RX sleds, not on a Apex but don't see why not.
However here in the states between loud exhaust and off trail riding it is endangering trails here with private landowners and town access trails going by residents houses.
I ride in the Bush so no worries. I haven't found a single post where anyone gutted a 2011+ apex worried that gutting it will cause some issues with the exup system

I ride in the Bush so no worries. I haven't found a single post where anyone gutted a 2011+ apex worried that gutting it will cause some issues with the exup system
Depending on the age/mileage it may have a broken cable or other issues I have heard about on the EXUP so may be a non-issue

Exup is entirely throttle and rpm dependent. Gutting the exhaust won't disrupt its functioning. BUT, I seem to remember when I purchased my PCV from Ulmer, he added fuel up top to compensate for a lean spot in the factory map. This may or may not be an issue, but with less backpressure you might be leaning your motor out.

Exup is entirely throttle and rpm dependent. Gutting the exhaust won't disrupt its functioning. BUT, I seem to remember when I purchased my PCV from Ulmer, he added fuel up top to compensate for a lean spot in the factory map. This may or may not be an issue, but with less backpressure you might be leaning your motor out.

Out of curiosity how will I know if I'm leaning it out is there a way to find out? Also what kind of damage could that cause blow an engine overtime?

You'd need to add an exhaust sensor of some kind, like an AFR or temps. I'm fairly certain Ulmer uses an exhaust gas analyzer. I know on the turbo and supercharger exhaust they weld a bung for an AFR gauge.

You'd need to add an exhaust sensor of some kind, like an AFR or temps. I'm fairly certain Ulmer uses an exhaust gas analyzer. I know on the turbo and supercharger exhaust they weld a bung for an AFR gauge.
Do you know if gutting the 11+ exhaust is the same I didn't realize they were different from 2008 or something I'm assuming cut the baffles and the cone out and that would be it. Doubt it's much different.

2006-2010 were much richer on top for fueling. My 06 Attak turned the tunnel behind the exhaust pipes black until I installed an aftermarket exhaust. 11 and up are leaner up top, likely due to changing emissions regulations . As far as gutting it, no,idea what the 11 and up exhaust looks like inside, but I can't imagine its radically different.

2006-2010 were much richer on top for fueling. My 06 Attak turned the tunnel behind the exhaust pipes black until I installed an aftermarket exhaust. 11 and up are leaner up top, likely due to changing emissions regulations . As far as gutting it, no,idea what the 11 and up exhaust looks like inside, but I can't imagism its radically different.
i think the inside of my pipes are quite black actually so then i shouldnt worry about it running too lean at that point i assume. like the tail pipe portion seems to definetly have some carbon on them ill take a look before i cut it open.

i think the inside of my pipes are quite black actually so then i shouldnt worry about it running too lean at that point i assume. like the tail pipe portion seems to definetly have some carbon on them ill take a look before i cut it open.
I got to the exhaust and started cutting it open with a die grinder and I just kept running down the blades to nothing are there any better tools to use to cut open the exhaust? Perhaps a grinder?

Have never done this modification, but will say with Stainless steel it will wear your cutting material fast. I suggest a 3.5"-4.0" diameter cut off disc (aka zip wheel) used in a an angle grinder such as dewalt or milwaukee etc.
The cut off discs are available as thin as 0.045", so less to cut, less effort. I get mine from TSC.
Snap some pics and post with what you find and your planned mods, as I don't think many have done this mod.
If you're looking for more of a bark to the exhaust sound, fwiw, I tried the MBRP fart-can on my 11 Apex and could not get it off fast enough, the drone is unreal.

I've modded a few Apex mufflers. Like Winderall day suggests, get the thin blades for a small angle grinder. I just cut three sides of a square pattern, then fold it open and remove some baffling. Close it up and mig weld it closed.

Perfect thanks guys I'm going to pick that stuff up tonight and I'll take pictures of what I do thanks!

I've modded a few Apex mufflers. Like Winderall day suggests, get the thin blades for a small angle grinder. I just cut three sides of a square pattern, then fold it open and remove some baffling. Close it up and mig weld it closed.
Did you weld it while it was on the sled did you disconnect your battery? Might buy a welder but I'm worried about having to disconnect the battery it's a pain in the #*$&@ thanks

Back