• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Questions on making my Vector LTX an XTX

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Vector LTX GT.
WEBSITE
www. Moosehead Lawn Care.com
YAHOO
colemanbodemer@yahoo.com
Hi guys. So my 2008 vector ltx gt has 22,000 miles on it right now, and still on the original track, so I am going to be replacing it this summer. I know you can fit a 1.75" track on them, with the tunnel protectors removed, which I am fine with, as I never run studs. My goal is to make it more of a crossover type sled. I have seen some other people on here, take a stock 144 rear suspension from a Nytro xtx, or Apex xtx and put it in there Attack/ Apex ltx. Now from what I have learned, all you really have to do is change out the mounting brackets in the tunnel for the new suspension, drill out the old rivets holding the mounting brackets for the old suspension and just rivet the new mounting brackets in place. And also from what people have said since the LTX models have the tunnel extension already there is no need for a longer tunnel extension, you just have to make the snowflap tip back more, Barn Of Parts has this kit. VX1R Has done some thing like this before also. I am really not big on the idea of extending the stock 136 mono shock (never really liked sleds that had rail extensions). So my ultimate goal would be for my vector ltx, to be a vector xtx, with the stock nytro xtx rear suspension and a 1.75" paddle track, making it better for crossover/ off trail riding. What do you guys think? I would be doing the swap over the course of the summer time, providing I can find the 144 nytro skid. It looks like it should be simple enough. I do not know, what are your thoughts? Here are two photos of a couple of guys putting the 144 suspension on there Apex's.
VX1R 004-lr.jpg
dscn1777 (2).jpg

You'll have to talk to Barn of parts and/or VX1R to be certain, but your existing tunnel extension and cooler may not work? The cooler may simply be hanging down too far in its current position, even without the tunnel protectors, but I'm not certain? See how the VX1R sled, pictured above, has a tunnel extension that follows the same line as tunnel, verses leveling out like your LTX? You may have to do whatever is necessary to achieve this on your sled so you will have the necessary clearance underneath. I know I had to rework the rear of my 2008 LTX to accommodate an aftermarket suspension, but may not be the case if you find a CK 144".

Otherwise, sounds like an awesome project! Post pics of your progress if possible! ;)!

You'll have to talk to Barn of parts and/or VX1R to be certain, but your existing tunnel extension and cooler may not work? The cooler may simply be hanging down too far in its current position, even without the tunnel protectors, but I'm not certain? See how the VX1R sled, pictured above, has a tunnel extension that follows the same line as tunnel, verses leveling out like your LTX? You may have to do whatever is necessary to achieve this on your sled so you will have the necessary clearance underneath. I know I had to rework the rear of my 2008 LTX to accommodate an aftermarket suspension, but may not be the case if you find a CK 144".

Otherwise, sounds like an awesome project! Post pics of your progress if possible! ;)!
Yeah, I hear you!! Just trying to gather as much info as possible before I even think about doing this. The other picture is off a 2008 apex GT short track, all he did was bolt the 144 in, and add the tunnel extension and he was good. Really hoping I do not need to mess with having to do a different tunnel extension, if that is going to be the case, might not be worth it. I do love how the 2 sleds above look pretty close to stock!! I will keep you guys informed what I find out. Keep the info coming though to try to help me out on this!!

Just trying to gather as much info as possible before I even think about doing this.
Have you ever ridden a sled with the CK 144 suspension? After logging that many miles on a 136" mono, I'm afraid you might be disappointed in the ride quality of the CK 144".

In my honest opinion, it's really hard to beat the ride quality of a properly set-up 136" mono. It really all depends on the kind of riding style that YOU prefer.

Have you ever ridden a sled with the CK 144 suspension? After logging that many miles on a 136" mono, I'm afraid you might be disappointed in the ride quality of the CK 144".

In my honest opinion, it's really hard to beat the ride quality of a properly set-up 136" mono. It really all depends on the kind of riding style that YOU prefer.
No I have never ridden a CK 144. I ride 50% on trail and 50 % off trail, so would just like to set my sled up for more off trail/ crossover riding. Btw I like a stiffer ride, :). Right now I am going through at time 2 feet of powder with my vector, lol. The throttle is pined at times, lol. I sent messages to Barn of parts/ VX1R just waiting to be hearing back from them. I will keep you informed. Does the 144 suspension ride stiffer? Right now I have my mono shock set up very stiff, as I like a stiff suspension.

No I have never ridden a CK 144. I ride 50% on trail and 50 % off trail, so would just like to set my sled up for more off trail/ crossover riding. Btw I like a stiffer ride, :). Right now I am going through at time 2 feet of powder with my vector, lol. The throttle is pined at times, lol. I sent messages to Barn of parts/ VX1R just waiting to be hearing back from them. I will keep you informed. Does the 144 suspension ride stiffer? Right now I have my mono shock set up very stiff, as I like a stiff suspension.

If you're an off-trail / on-trail rider, then the CK 144 might suit you. The approch angle isn't as steep, so it won't trench like a mono.

The CK 144 just isn't as plush. As you mentioned, however, you prefer a firm ride, so maybe a non-issue for you. :) I would recommend at least test riding a sled with the 144 if such an opportunity would arise. You may decide that you prefer the 144 for the way you ride. I would just hate to see you spend the money and go through the efforts of modifying your sled, just to maybe end up hating it.

The Nytro XTX came stock with lighter torsion springs than the Apex XTX did, so that may be something to consider when/if you locate a donor.

These are just my opinions, as there's a broad spectrum of opinions on this subject. I hope I'm not confusing you. :confused:

Last edited:
Something else to consider...

Installing a longer / deeper lug track is going to load your engine and drivetrain more. You may want to seek some advice on gearing and clutching changes.

Something else to consider...

Installing a longer / deeper lug track is going to load your engine and drivetrain more. You may want to seek some advice on gearing and clutching changes.
Yeah I know that. That is minor though, lol. The most important thing to find out, is would the stock CK 144 would on my vector ltx, or would I be needed a tunnel extension. And I would be having all summer long to get the sled ready for winter. I already kind of knew I would be having to change the clutching/ gearing

well they did make a vector xtx 146 with the 1.75 lug from factory. i would start with that gearing combo as it should be really close.

well they did make a vector xtx 146 with the 1.75 lug from factory. i would start with that gearing combo as it should be really close.
That is a really good thought, thanks for telling me that!! Again this is just some thing I wanted to do, I have been contacting the guys who have built the Apex's into the 144's. I sent travis (Barn of parts) a message to see if he had a 144 suspension, he did not. I was on Craigslist looking out west/ middle of USA (forget the state it was) and there was a nytro 144 suspension for sale for $300 dollars. It did come with out the shocks though. Just trying to see if the stock LTX tunnel is fine to just run the 144 in it how it is. Like would the 144 compress enough to have the track hit the heat exchanger? That is the big question right now, wish some one had done this mod to a LTX so I would know. I will keep you all informed as I get more info.

Back