• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Quick Coolant Level Question

Jaybaar

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
16 SR Viper LTX DX
03 Yamaha RX1
My coolant reservoir reads full when cold, however when the sled is up to temp the bottle is completely empty. Is this normal? I noticed it because the check engine light came on along with the temp warning (not the triangle). I slowly cracked the cap a little fluid came out and the light went off. Is the reservoir supposed to be empty when at full temp?

Thanks!

Can anyone answer this question? I'm heading out this weekend :bash:

It should expand past the full line when warm, maybe you need to shine a flashlight through side of bottle to verify it’s disappeared cause our red prestone we use is really hard to see in the light

It should expand past the full line when warm, maybe you need to shine a flashlight through side of bottle to verify it’s disappeared cause our red prestone we use is really hard to see in the light

Awesome, thank your for the info Fortress, much appreciated!

usually when cold, i make sure the reservoir under the cap is full and the overflow is full to the cold level. they usually self adjust from there and spit out what they do not want.

with conditions this year, you are dipping off for fresh snow when you can? packing the running boards with snow/ice helps too.

usually when cold, i make sure the reservoir under the cap is full and the overflow is full to the cold level. they usually self adjust from there and spit out what they do not want.

with conditions this year, you are dipping off for fresh snow when you can? packing the running boards with snow/ice helps too.

Thanks Maim for the additional info! Just to be clear I only see one reservoir (pictured) which is filled to the cold line. Are you saying I should fill that completely and let it puke out what it doesn't need?

As for dipping into the snow, no that wasn't possible. This was the maiden voyage and I didn't want to go to far, I ended up on a pond with almost zero snow and 45 degree weather so I'm not surprised she got hot. Sunday I'm heading almost three hours north where this a lot more snow and will definitely do as you suggested!
20210305_103913.jpg

Your sled doesn’t have the extra overflow bottle. Fill to the cold line only when cold. Level will go up when warm and may even completely fill the bottle if really hot. It is hard to see the level if it’s completely full. Sometimes you need to shine a light behind the bottle. The tube is for excess overflow if the sled overheats.

Your sled doesn’t have the extra overflow bottle. Fill to the cold line only when cold. Level will go up when warm and may even completely fill the bottle if really hot. It is hard to see the level if it’s completely full. Sometimes you need to shine a light behind the bottle. The tube is for excess overflow if the sled overheats.

Thank you 72Gran and to everyone else who replied with assistance! I feel better knowing I have the proper amount of coolant, now I just need some cold temps and snow! :Rockon:

Back