• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Quick ? On skid removal and driveshaft bearing

rtx moose

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder LTX LE,2007 RTX,2000 SRX700
Do you need to pull the skid to remove brake assembly and change the driveshaft bearing or just loosen track?

Should be able to just loosen track all the way. You can access the 3 bolts that hold the caliper/brake/bearing assy inside tunnel. IF splines on shaft aren't too goofed up, you can pull the whole assy off. Some like to support track shaft near that side with something to keep it somewhat straight. It goes between cross shaft and track shaft.

Attachments

• trrack shaft holder.1.jpg
    trrack shaft holder.1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 151
Should be able to just loosen track all the way. You can access the 3 bolts that hold the caliper/brake/bearing assy inside tunnel. IF splines on shaft aren't too goofed up, you can pull the whole assy off. Some like to support track shaft near that side with something to keep it somewhat straight. It goes between cross shaft and track shaft.
Wow! You can probably charge $20 for that tool...smile.

Once you loosen up your track grab driveshaft inside tunnel and see if you can push it up and down. If so its time for new driveshaft , bearing and brake rotor.
Best is to remove suspension.

I find it easier to remove skid and split the brake.. IT CAN be done by leaving skid in and not splitting brake.
Just find it easier with no tension on the drive shaft. Have also used a chunk of wood as shown above.. To me its easier to get the brake/bearing on square and flush with tunnel/shaft without the tension on the drive shaft..

Last edited:
I have done it with track tight but it’s better to loosen it up some. Believe it or not I can get my Milwaukee power ratchet on two of the bolts but you have to break them loose by hand. You can force the whole rotor and brake assembly off the end of the driveshaft with a little judicious force. When it gets close and you don’t think it’s going to go just tap the end of the driveshaft with a plastic hammer. When it’s time to put it back together put a ratchet strap from driveshaft to primary to fight the track weight. If you end up needing to change the bearing it’s best to undo the banjo bolt and take it to a press. A bolt and nut with some washers will keep the brake fluid from coming out of the brake line.

I just loosed track & R&R'd brake assembly. Zero issues. Skid stayed in sled. I know....doesn't make it right

To reassemble I used a rachet strap to shaft above & med size bar below to line bolts up. zippity zip zip.

Last edited:
I just checked mine again, I just loosened the track all the way, remove the 3 bolts that holds the calliper to the tunnel, remove the brake pads and mine came right off.

Thanks but I turned the track While on the stand and you could hear the grinding inside the caliper housing,so off to the dealer for my last warranty claim before it runs out

Back