• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Quieter muffler

Mooseman

I'm not all knowing. Post your question in forum.
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'07 Venture MP (gone)
'07 Phazer FX (gone)
'09 Phazer GT (gone)
'10 RS Venture GT (My current ride)
'10 Nytro FX (son's)
I'm going deaf, literally. I have tinitus in both ears. I've always found my MP loud. Is there a quieter muffler I could add on? Im planning to do the tunnel close off to enclose the exhaust and exit to the rear after this season.

Maybe a bike muffler? Quad? Car?Since it will be enclosed, I don't care about looks. Muffler on there now looks like a small car's.

I find most of the noise on Phazer comes from the track unless I'm really on the throttle. I wear ear-plugs under my helmet but the noise is really low frequency and cuts right through.

Riding it yesterday, I noticed it's more the intake noise I hear. Exhaust is lower tone but may be reverberating in the tunnel. I used to have it piped out the back but the flex pipe I was using rotted out. When I do my tunnel enclosure, I'll redo it hopefully in stainless along with header wrap for the heat, which may also help with noise.

I don't think there's anything I can do with the intake noise. I know cars and trucks use resonators to attenuate that but it's mostly at higher RPM noise is an issue. Since these engines are so high strung and almost always in 10k RPM, intake noise is more prevalent.

Riding it yesterday, I noticed it's more the intake noise I hear. Exhaust is lower tone but may be reverberating in the tunnel. I used to have it piped out the back but the flex pipe I was using rotted out. When I do my tunnel enclosure, I'll redo it hopefully in stainless along with header wrap for the heat, which may also help with noise.

I don't think there's anything I can do with the intake noise. I know cars and trucks use resonators to attenuate that but it's mostly at higher RPM noise is an issue. Since these engines are so high strung and almost always in 10k RPM, intake noise is more prevalent.

I find between 40-55kph it's perfect. But after 55+ I find it's so loud it'll make you dizzy after prolonged use.

Did you find extending the exhaust out the rear suppresses some of the noise?

I think it did at the time. I just completed the enclosed tunnel and exit out the rear but we don't have enough snow here yet. I did trailer and ride a bit in North Bay on the weekend before and found it quite loud. Might even be responsible for my permanent tinnitus.

You should also check your donuts as mine were gone fairly early in its life, which I replaced with copper donuts. If you find your exhaust loud, this is a possible source.

I think it did at the time. I just completed the enclosed tunnel and exit out the rear but we don't have enough snow here yet. I did trailer and ride a bit in North Bay on the weekend before and found it quite loud. Might even be responsible for my permanent tinnitus.

You should also check your donuts as mine were gone fairly early in its life, which I replaced with copper donuts. If you find your exhaust loud, this is a possible source.

I find it significantly loud and I’m not sure if it’s a mixture between the exhaust, intake, or tunnel/track

What do you mean by donuts,

Looking forward to your report on your mods Mooseman, hopefully you will get some snow. I wear ear plugs on any extended runs of 5 minutes or more.

I think the problem with the MP muffler is that the damn thing is so solid it is going to last forever and I'm never going to get to try something else.

Exhaust donuts.
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/copper-exhaust-donuts.94508/

However, looks like Sledtoyz is gone. Ulmer Racing has them but at a significantly higher cost. There is another fix I found.
Flex joint/donut elimination kit

I have had the flex joint fail on me as well as the pipes crack. Could have been me since I haven't heard of others suffering such catastrophic failures, at least not on these sleds.

Ohhhkk,

So the exhaust cracking/separating is a common thing? I haven't even inspected mine to see!

Like I said, mine has been the only one I have seen fail on this platform although my son's flex joint failed on his '09 Phazer, but he abuses it badly.

I'm hoping the noise is down. I'm probably gonna have to trailer to Pembroke or North Bay. Ear plugs are ready just in case.

Take the airbox lid right off and try it. It will be louder, but the resonance will be much different. Just don't try it when its raining LOL. Might point to the culprit whether its exhaust or intake that bothers you the most.

So, after 300km's this weekend I have narrowed the noise down to the exhaust/track. I can differentiate noise from intake and exhaust/track.

I think the main noise I am hearing though is my track, again after 55km/h it increases and gets very loud. Has anybody remedied this?

Without having done any real riding and just going around the yard, I found my exhaust is quieter. Probably because it goes straight out the back and doesn't reverberate in the tunnel. I'll be posting about it at some time.

I can't say anything about track noise since mine isn't the stock one.

Without having done any real riding and just going around the yard, I found my exhaust is quieter. Probably because it goes straight out the back and doesn't reverberate in the tunnel. I'll be posting about it at some time.

I can't say anything about track noise since mine isn't the stock one.

What track are you running, and do you notice that it’s loud/quiet?

Also after looking my track is half clipped, also definitely will need new slides this season

Back