• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Radiator and Fan Kit...updates and reduced price coming fall of 21

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
From the day the sidewinder was released I was dissapointed to see no radiator and fan on it. Up until this model, Yamaha had worked a radiator and fan into all models. I am a big believer in the rad and fan for the minimal snow dust conditions.

I welded up my prototype rad and did plumbing fit up yesterday. It's all comming together nicely. I incorporated a bleeder in the upper most connection elbow as I believe it will be needed. Hope to fill it Monday and do some preliminary testing.

Will update thread as I progress on the product.

image.jpeg

What hood work have you done to let the air in.
Great idea, interested in the results.

And I agree with you, that sled has too little of cooling surfaces. If you are not in perfect conditions I gotta believe it's going to run hot quickly.
MS

Awesome work!! Now you just need colored heater hose to Match the colored Charge tubes and the Bling will be complete!!

From the day the sidewinder was released I was dissapointed to see no radiator and fan on it. Up until this model, Yamaha had worked a radiator and fan into all models. I am a big believer in the rad and fan for the minimal snow dust conditions.

I welded up my prototype rad and did plumbing fit up yesterday. It's all comming together nicely. I incorporated a bleeder in the upper most connection elbow as I believe it will be needed. Hope to fill it Monday and do some preliminary testing.

Will update thread as I progress on the product.

View attachment 126035
That is awesome! Cant count the number of times where I know radiator and fan have been only thing cooling mine in past. Was surprised myself when the Winder didn't have one. Only thing I wonder is will the extra underhood heat affect belts.

What hood work have you done to let the air in.
Great idea, interested in the results.

And I agree with you, that sled has too little of cooling surfaces. If you are not in perfect conditions I gotta believe it's going to run hot quickly.
MS

To start I am gong to test with no mods to hood and see what happens. Some prefer not to modify panels so hoping to make kit fit and work with no major alterations.

The apex and vector pull air from under hood and evacuate out by footwell. It's not an exposed radiator relying on open air flow. It relies on fan for airflow.

I personally don't think the radiator is necessary my BTX LE with scratchers down I never get warm even running down a hard pack ice trail and plowed roads that 2.25in lugs don't even push in the real need is an intercooler fan when engine and intercooler gets heat soaked by a plugged front grill I get passed by my cousins NA Nytro. If I can keep a 153 cool the short tracks should too a set of scratchers is much cheaper.

I can say my ltx will get hot in low snow conditions.

I like your idea and Looking forward to seeing the results

I personally don't think the radiator is necessary my BTX LE with scratchers down I never get warm even running down a hard pack ice trail and plowed roads that 2.25in lugs don't even push in the real need is an intercooler fan when engine and intercooler gets heat soaked by a plugged front grill I get passed by my cousins NA Nytro. If I can keep a 153 cool the short tracks should too a set of scratchers is much cheaper.

Ice scratchers will surely keep it cool when running on trail, however many guys see them as a hassle and don't want to deal with them.

On trails in PA and NY there is sometimes some slow speed bare road riding into towns to get to food and gas establishments. This is where a radiator and fan setup will really shine.

I hear you on an intercooler fan....that's my next sidewinder project. A fan and reversing polarity switch so air can be blow outward as well to clear an iced up intercooler.

Ice scratchers will surely keep it cool when running on trail, however many guys see them as a hassle and don't want to deal with them.

On trails in PA and NY there is sometimes some slow speed bare road riding into towns to get to food and gas establishments. This is where a radiator and fan setup will really shine.

I hear you on an intercooler fan....that's my next sidewinder project. A fan and reversing polarity switch so air can be blow outward as well to clear an iced up intercooler.
I have a cat grill that I frogskined I will be testing it in munising this next weekend and Wyoming the weekend after if that works that would be the simplest solution.

I'll add my 2-cents to this discussion.
I to have a BTX LE also, I only have about 600 miles on it from my first trip North.
I did almost all trail riding and my heat gauge never went over half way.
I wonder if the 2.25 lugs work as a big fan pushing air onto the heat exchangers?
And as far as the scratches, they help but are a real pain as they dig in or get bend when you back up.
I think your rad. Is a great Idea, but may only be needed in a few instances.
I think the intercooler fan will be a great addition, it must have been thought of by Cat or Yamaha being that there is a empty slot in the fuse box even labeled for it

Keep up the good work, you just keep coming up with ideas to make Great sleds even better!

Keep working on it. A lot of us are interested. Mine ran at the perfect temp until it got HOT! There are times when there's very little snow or ice to even scratch. Especially pulling over to discuss directions then get back on your sled & you're already hot. I'll be watching your results...

I am going to try a radiator in my winder also. Going to mount in right behind the innercooler and if need be, I will stop and turn on the fan....pushing it into the innercooler. Why? I do a ton of off-trail and that innercooler gets packed full. Kind of an easy way to get rid of the ice and will definitely get air going thru there.

Back