• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rage or Renegade???

mil

Hello everyone. I have sold my old snowmobile (MXZ700 -00) and will buy a new one this weekend when it´s the big "Snowmobile Day" in Sweden where I live. I have to decide if I´m going to buy a Yamaha Rage or a Ski-Doo Renegade 600 SDI. Please let me know what´s good and what´s bad with Rage/Vector/Warrior. I´m 35 years old, sometimes my 5 year old son use to follow me. I´m an "allround-driver". Loking forward to interesting information, thank´s. PS! here in Sweden the gas cost´s more than 5 dollars a gallon. How´s the fuel consumtion for Rage/Renegade?

rage/renegade

Mil,

I have been trying to make the same decision all week, but the people on this board have swayed me with honest opinions towrds the RS Venture vs a Ski Doo Grand Touring. I have a Grand Touring and a 03 ZX chassis Renegade right now. The Renegade is a fun, smooth sled. I have the 600 H.O. engine not SDI and I get about 14 mpg with it normal riding. It does seem to go thru alot of oil, but I have not messed with the oil pump at all. I rode the SDI REV version for a week last year and it ran nice, but it still smelled like a 4 stroke and you will need to burn at least 91 octane and synthetic oil in it I believe.

The big thing holding me from buying the Venture tomorrow is the suspension. I hate to buy an untested suspension and be sorry, although I realize the design has been around awhile in other sleds.

Have you riden a REV style chassis yet? I myself could not get used to it. My knees seemed to banging the cowling all the time and it was cold.

Good luck on your decision. If I go with the Venture I am selling my Renegade, and I hope it compares to the Renegade in the deep snow and off the trail.

The new skid on the venture will be fine. The motor will out last the 600 by a looooooooooooooooooong ways. Better gas mileage. "MUCH" better oil mileage. ;)! By the way the rage skid is not the same as the 05 ventures. It's like the warriors. :ORC :4STroke: <-------------just remember this.MM.

I was on the fence in the spring between a mxz600sdi and the vector.
I was riding a 02 mxz700 that I was very happy with. I bought the vector
It has a similer skid to my old do with improvements as the anti bottoming spring plus the a arm front suspension.
The sdi had a ring problem and was looking at not buying $30 oil with better gas mileage.
Last year on a trip in quebec my friend had a new cat 660 turbo and he saved $35 a day over my doo on gas and it was so quiet and no smell
that lead me tword the vector as its lighter than rx1 and cat
Id chance the 4stroke :4STroke:

Rage or Renegade SDI

Good question. I just bought the RS Rage. I leaned towards that because I think it will have a little more speed, and 20+mpg and oil changes once a year. Either one is a good choice.

I would go with the Rage over the 600 SDI. Ski-Doo has had major problems with the rings in that motor. You check out http://www.hardcoresledder.com and read the posts in the Ski-Doo section. The board owner (who is friends with VT.RX1, the 12,000 miles a year rider on this site) owns a 600 SDI and there are some good threads on the ring problem.

Are you up by the border with Finland near Oulu?

Hello Suisse Sledder.
No, I live about 250 km from the border to Finland.

Well, I´m deciding tomorrow or Sunday what kind of sled I´m going to play with this winter. The only thing that I might not like with the Yamaha Rage is the weight. Do you guys know exactly how much the difference is? On the other hand, there is no electric start om SDI 600 and I´ve heard that the Precision-skis are really bad.

Go for the Rage

I would go with the Rage you will have motor with a better powerband wider, smoother, and more peak power. Read the Dyno test on the Top they said the Vector gets awesome fuel economy. The fourstroke just is a great motor I have an RX-1 and have never been let down. There is no getting around the ring issue. In order to be clean and get better fuel economy the only way a 2-stroke can do it is to get LEAN what does that mean? Less oil in a 2-stroke the less oil you have the less lubrication you have. Less protection for pistons, rings, and crank bearings. The Rip Saw track on the Rage is awesome. I rode a warrior quite a bit last year and it was easy to handle and rode great. The rear shock has a compression clicker to dial in the ride. Have fun. :4STroke:

mil said:
On the other hand, there is no electric start om SDI 600 and I´ve heard that the Precision-skis are really bad.
The stock Yamaha skis aren't very good either. Most people changed to either Simmons or C&A's, so both sleds are probably equal on that point. The 600 SDI is very easy to pull start. In my opinion, the difference is in reliability. I'm guessing the areas you ride don't have a lot of traffic and breaking down would be an issue. The rings seem to go out on the 600 SDI at around 5,000km and the engine is toast. Ha det god med din beslut.

My brother's 04 Renegade 600SDi got 16-19 mpg last year, that's hard riding. Oil consumption pretty low.
There were ring issues in 04, they "claim" are resolved for 05. Brothers sled has 4000 miles and is fine.
And I believe the 05 sdi's run on regular fuel.
I'm on the fence also for next year. I'll see how both sleds review for this season.
And the SDI's "do" have electric start. Very nice starts like fuel injection, no choke.

I gotta say Rage

I think I too would go with the Rage. I think that the reliability of a Yamaha (especially the 4-strokes) would be the biggest reason, especially because its sounds like you are somewhat of a backcountry rider.
The SDI did have ring and seal problems, but Ski-Doo claims to have the resolved now.
The weight of the Rage isnt as big of a deal as some would lead you to believe. I believe the Rage is around 540 pounds dry (not sure how much that is in kg) which is only about 50 pounds more than any 2-stroke mountain sled. Also, the weight is very centralized so it doesnt feel heavy. Due to the fact that Yamaha runs the exhaust straight back under the seat, you dont have all the weight over the front like you would have on something like a Polaris Storm RMK (800 triple with triple pipes).
I havent really heard ratings for fuel economy on an RS Rage. No one has really gotten the chance to ride theirs yet, so thats difficult to say.
I can tell you that the RX-1s typically got around 16 mpg. Im only speculating here, but I think that it will get around 18-20 mpg.
One other thing to consider, cost of parts. Living in Sweden, parts for the Doo might be much cheaper than parts for the Yamaha. I know that here in the U.S., Ski-Doo parts are insanely expensive (a drive belt goes for $120). In comparison, a drivebelt for a Polaris is around $80.
So, in summary, Id say go with the Rage. Its got better reliablity, wil have better durability, will get bette fuel milage and all in all will be a better overall ride than a Renegade.
Hebi

Back