• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Raised my Seat by 2"

Hoxtongue

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Apex RTX
Been looking at the WRP seat but based on exchange and money invested into other sports I couldn't justify spending that much. So I did some research and purchased a piece of 2" thick 14x24" 2.5 (51#) foam from a local mattress supplier. They charged me $20 bucks for the piece and another $12.00 for the spray adhesive.

Here are some pics. Note I didn't remove the seat cover completely seeing it was under a heat shield and figured it may be a bear to line up.

IMG_2605.JPG
IMG_2606.JPG

I then lined up the piece and traced the outline with a marker and cut it using an electric knife.

IMG_2607.JPG

Then started shaving the sides but at this point I didn't glue the extra foam seeing I wanted to make sure the existing cover would stretch over the new piece.
IMG_2610.JPG

When I was done, I made sure it was much smoother than this pic seeing you could see any imperfections under the cover. I ended up using a drywall sanding sheet to finish smoothing. After pulling the cover over I realized that it's pretty stretchy and I wouldn't have any issues with the extra height. I sprayed both sides, let it sit for 2 minutes then put it in place. I then finished up by cutting small pieces and filling in any gaps.

Last edited:

Here it is, just needs to be stapled. Didn't have 1/4" so off to the store. This was one of my test fits so I still had some bumps to smooth out. I'm sure it won't be as good as the WRP, but for $30 bucks should be much better.

IMG_2613.JPG

Just installed it and it looks and feels much better, I will take pics tomorrow in the daylight.

Last edited:
The real issue with the first gen apexs seat is the foam is too soft and the longer yo drive it the lower you got. I'm sure this will help some. I had a wrp seat on my 07 apex I sat up more than the 2 inches that the seat was raised due to that I didn't sink into it.
I am I think will do the same as you are with my 16 apex seat because it is hard, but yet the 16 only sits me 1 inch lower than the wrp seat. You have inspired me to do this.

Here it is stapled and installed. Looking forward to seeing the difference, but we are losing snow pretty fast.....
DSC_6509 copy.jpg

This looks great !! I need to do the same on my Vector. Thanks for the pictures...

Looks great! I'm going to do this to my Attak. How is the firmness compared to the factory foam? Did yours have the straps coming from the storage compartment going thru the foam and hook to the cover? I'm not seeing them in your pics.

I did the same along with MTN bars from apex. great mod and now my sit to stand much better !

Looks great! I'm going to do this to my Attak. How is the firmness compared to the factory foam? Did yours have the straps coming from the storage compartment going thru the foam and hook to the cover? I'm not seeing them in your pics.
I only peeled it back to the storage compartment and I didn't see any straps? After I installed it we lost all our snow...but sitting on it in the garage its much better than stock

I've been thinking about doing that mod to my Warrior. I'd like to get one of those WRP seats, but there is the price of it, but the main reason for me is that I have a Seat Jack that I still want to be able to use. I really doubt that I can run a WRP seat and be able to use the Seat Jack. I don't know if I got an Apex seat if the Seat Jack will still work either. If I mod my seat like you did then there wont be any issues and I would have a better seating position. You did a nice job and it looks factory. Is the foam you used a firm foam ? I'm itching to do something with my sled since we really don't have enough snow to ride. Plus with the money I save doing this mod instead of buying a seat maybe I can afford a mono skid. LOL

I've been thinking about doing that mod to my Warrior. I'd like to get one of those WRP seats, but there is the price of it, but the main reason for me is that I have a Seat Jack that I still want to be able to use. I really doubt that I can run a WRP seat and be able to use the Seat Jack. I don't know if I got an Apex seat if the Seat Jack will still work either. If I mod my seat like you did then there wont be any issues and I would have a better seating position. You did a nice job and it looks factory. Is the foam you used a firm foam ? I'm itching to do something with my sled since we really don't have enough snow to ride. Plus with the money I save doing this mod instead of buying a seat maybe I can afford a mono skid. LOL
Here's the details from the foam I purchased. 2" thick 14x24" 2.5 (51#) Rode all day on Sat and it was a huge upgrade, very comfy and finally came home without sore knees. Took a bit of time to get used to sitting higher.

Thank you very much Hoxtongue. I never gave the seat mod much thought before , but the last time I went riding about a month ago (we lost most of our snow since then ) my knees were aching by the time I got home. Guess I'm getting older. This is great too since its cheap. The money saved may go towards a mono skid since the bumps are starting to bother my back as well. My cousin told me I would start getting aches and pains when I got into my 40's. LOL.

Thank you very much Hoxtongue. I never gave the seat mod much thought before , but the last time I went riding about a month ago (we lost most of our snow since then ) my knees were aching by the time I got home. Guess I'm getting older. This is great too since its cheap. The money saved may go towards a mono skid since the bumps are starting to bother my back as well. My cousin told me I would start getting aches and pains when I got into my 40's. LOL.
I just turned 49 in December...feeling the difference as well. For the little riding I do (little time to get out) I was either going to get out of the sport all together or just try and make this a little more comfortable. Really should have done it a long time ago.

Back