• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rattle in clutch?

Irv

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 40th Anniversary Vector.
1995 XLT SP (Son's)
I am just curious if it is normal to hear some rattling in the primary clutch?

Tonight as I was just going over a few things I decided to fire the sled up and noticed the primary clutch seemed to be rattling excessively.

I noticed it initially when I bought the sled and after doing some mtce but tonight I paid particular attention to it and to me it sounds excessive,
it is a steady constant rattle.

I removed the side panel to have a closer look and found it very easy to move the clutch weights behind the rollers, which I assume is where the noise is coming from, is this normal or is something going on that should be looked at?

Yamaha makes a kit to minimize the noise you are talking about. I have my dealer install one on my 05 Vector ER every other year. They only work for a short period of time and then all that rackett gradually returns. It's normal.

Vectornut said:
Yamaha makes a kit to minimize the noise you are talking about. I have my dealer install one on my 05 Vector ER every other year. They only work for a short period of time and then all that rackett gradually returns. It's normal.

Thanks Vectornut.
What does the dealer charge to do this and how many miles are you accumulating in 2 yrs?

Budweiser said:
My buddy has a 2010 Vector. It rattles like a diesel at idle. 2500 miles and no issues so....

Thanks.
Just thought there would be a permanent fix for this issue by now but good to know it doesn't cause any issues other than a bit of embarrassement when your buddies come over to look and listen to your new sled. :o|

IRV. The kit is about $40.00 I think. I have them check over my clutch and have them install it. I bring the clutch directly to them for service. I do about 1,000 miles per year. I have been considering a P85 drive but am still thinking. I'll probabily live with this annoying situation for as long as I own this otherwise wonderful sled.

Vectornut said:
IRV. The kit is about $40.00 I think. I have them check over my clutch and have them install it. I bring the clutch directly to them for service. I do about 1,000 miles per year. I have been considering a P85 drive but am still thinking. I'll probabily live with this annoying situation for as long as I own this otherwise wonderful sled.

Thanks for the info ;)!

My RS Venture has the same rattle. Yea it irritates when the sled is idling but typically it doesn't indicate a problem. I am 3 seasons & 3500kms into it with this sled & it has never been a problem.

I Have a 05 vector yamaha payes for the part and .75 labor that is why the dealer dosnt like to do it it takes 1.5 tell him you will pay the differnts
I think I still have the service note there is no time limit .
STEVE

CLUTCH RATTLE

we have had 05, 06 and now have 2010 Vectors. All have had the annoying clutch rattle, that's yamaha. At the snowdeo in Colebrook NH this spring we tried the 2011 models, the power steering is great. I talked to the tech since the new sleds are without the clutch noise. He said it is an easy procedure to swap out what he called "buttons" to eliminate this noise. I will try it out on our 2010's late this summer. It doesnot affect the performance but it is annoying.

Re: CLUTCH RATTLE

djofwitsnd said:
we have had 05, 06 and now have 2010 Vectors. All have had the annoying clutch rattle, that's yamaha. At the snowdeo in Colebrook NH this spring we tried the 2011 models, the power steering is great. I talked to the tech since the new sleds are without the clutch noise. He said it is an easy procedure to swap out what he called "buttons" to eliminate this noise. I will try it out on our 2010's late this summer. It doesnot affect the performance but it is annoying.

I read on here or another forum about the actual problem,, it is a loose fitting clutch/splines on end of the crank.

After I read that I checked mine and sure enough, the clutch does not fit snug/tight on the end, it is loose and can be moved slightly side to side.

I have never had a clutch off one of these sleds but I am thinking maybe a bit of grese in those splines might make a difference?
The only grease I know that would stay there would be Bel-Ray waterproof grease, that stuff is super sticky/tacky and thick.
Thoughts???

It's a Yamaha primary. When used on a 4 stroke Genesis they can be noisy. 3 cyl 4 stoke clutches have ALWAY rattled due to the firing pulses of the engine. Annoying yes, but normal.

Back