• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Real World 1500 Mile Low Down of new Ski Doo XR-S 900 Turbo vs. SideWinder

VX1R

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Ordered: 2025 SW LTX-LE Final Edition
Current Riders:
2018 SW LTX-LE
2002 SRX Custom
Rough Trail: 2023 Lynx Xterrian 900TurboR
Vintage Riders:
1980 Enticer 300 Twin
1986 Inviter
1998 Phazer Mt. Lite
1996 Phazer Mt. Lite Mod
Here's a link to an interesting article that was just posted today on Snow Tech Magazines web site that gives their thoughts on the new Ski Doo 900 Turbo sled and how it stacks up to the SideWinder after they logged 1500 miles on the new Ski Doo Turbo.

It's a good read and really lays the cards on the table as to what Ski Doo is looking to accomplish with this new sled/motor combo in comparison to the SideWinder:

https://www.snowtechmagazine.com/2019-ski-doo-renegade-x-rs-900-ace-turbo/

I think the guys that ordered the 900t are going to be in for a rude awakening. They think with a tune they are going to run 125 MPH easily and outrun the stock Winders. Perhaps on their happy meter, but ain't even gonna be close to that on GPS.

You just know the good ones that people are demoing are ringers and pumped up on "boost steroids" around that 175 and 180 mark. The slow ones that are getting demoed will be the actual production versions. Theres no way Doo is going to let that four stroke beat their flagship 850. Saw a vid where the 900t got downright thumped by the 850, which isn't saying much as a GOOD 1200 will hang with the 850. So the hand writing is on the table per say.

To make matters worse. EVO is over at DooTalk now thumping their chest telling people how there going to get 3 and 400 HP out of them with bigger turbos, so now they think they are going to be tuned winder killers too. Too bad.

I think the 900t is going to be a decent sled, it will be better after a year or two when they bump it up to 180, its just too bad they didn't turbo the 1200. A 1200 factory turbo would have been the bees knees!

You don't buy a sled like that to race and be the fastest. That's why you buy a Sidewinder. I'm thinking the 900T will be a great saddlebag trip sled that will be very reliable and great on fuel. I'm also thinking it should ride and handle pretty good and be light weight for a 4 stroke. I'm pretty sure there will be no competition for the Winder when it comes to performance.

I think the guys that ordered the 900t are going to be in for a rude awakening. They think with a tune they are going to run 125 MPH easily and outrun the stock Winders. Perhaps on their happy meter, but ain't even gonna be close to that on GPS.

You just know the good ones that people are demoing are ringers and pumped up on "boost steroids" around that 175 and 180 mark. The slow ones that are getting demoed will be the actual production versions. Theres no way Doo is going to let that four stroke beat their flagship 850. Saw a vid where the 900t got downright thumped by the 850, which isn't saying much as a GOOD 1200 will hang with the 850. So the hand writing is on the table per say.

To make matters worse. EVO is over at DooTalk now thumping their chest telling people how there going to get 3 and 400 HP out of them with bigger turbos, so now they think they are going to be tuned winder killers too. Too bad.

I think the 900t is going to be a decent sled, it will be better after a year or two when they bump it up to 180, its just too bad they didn't turbo the 1200. A 1200 factory turbo would have been the bees knees!

I guess it depends what you are used to. I'm guessing most people who ordered a 900T will be coming off a 1200. They should be happy with this sled.

If you are coming off a SW, 9000 cat, or 850, you may be disappointed.

No comparison to a sidewinder at all!
It's only a replacement for their 1200 with a little more power.

The media thinks skidoo can do no wrong. I like how they say the throttle response is slow and not like a two stroke or winder, and in the same breath say it better like that for track spin and directional changes? Make up your mind do you want quick throttle response or not? And to say the winder doesn’t handle like a g4 in trails is bs, I’ll take my winder any day and I’ve rode 3 different 850s and only one winder

No comparison to a sidewinder at all!
It's only a replacement for their 1200 with a little more power.

That is exactly right, but some of the Doo faithful think its going to run speeds in the 125 which even tuned is not going to happen.

Don't get me wrong the Doo is going to be a great sled, but too much new there to for me as a first year. Clutch (unproven on the three cylinder four-stroke) , chassis (which is weak & problematic on the 850), engine and turbo setup (not the same as the Can-Am so they say) . I have to say I was thinking about it (for about a day), but will wait to see how it shakes out and wait for the power to go up the second or third year. I loved my 1200's so much, but Doo needs a lesson in selecting good shocks, building a stronger front end, front end geometry & ride, steering effort and handling. The Winder, even though heavier, rides and handles better than I could ever get my 1200's to over many years of tuning.

No way am I saying the Cat is better, in fact far from it, Cat needs lessons on weight loss, quality, chaincase engineering and rising rate rear suspensions.

They all have their strong and weak points. IMO

The Doo 900t is going to be a good first year sled IMO, but is going to have some teething pains and its not going to be nearly as fast as some think, not even close. Its also going to be lacking in the front end again like previous Doos compared to the Cat. I hope they comes out with a better & faster mousetrap next time. I'd be more apt to buy one at 200 HP stock.

Last edited:

Would be a good idea to finish what you promised the EVO-loyalists here first.

I believe the 900 will be a nice unit. But if comparing a XRS 900T to a Sidewinder LE 17/18 it will fall short in almost every catagory.
It will probably be better on fuel but that will be about it. After owning a SW LE and a XRS 850 I know my Winder will out perform and out handle the XRS 900T. I believe the 900X would be a better choice for handling over the XRS for sure.
I know this by comparing my Sons TNT 850 to my XRS 850 this past season. His sled handled like a slot car compared to my XRS.

The extra height of the XRS compared to the TNT makes a huge difference. I don’t believe the extra weight of the 900T will make it handle better but rather be worse.

Now for the delema’s.

Can’t get good shocks on a 900T X package compared to the XRS.
Then Yamaha blew it in my eyes for 2019. They basically threw away there flagship LE models. Can not get a 137 Sidewinder for next season with QS3R Shocks all the way around.
The electronically controlled QS3 shocks are cool but no comparison to the QS3R Shocks in my eyes. Plus I think the average trail rider would want a 1.25 track over the 1” and 1.6” options they are offering.

Just my take on it.

I agree with everything you mention Don, except the XRS in 4s version will be best choice with the weight of 4s for pounding. No way in hell I would touch a X with Junk shocks in heavier 4s. I think the doo will handle BETTER in 4s xrs version, you are comparing a 2s, and yes the light 2s in X version does handle more slot car like but we are talking bout 900t here not the light 850.

Its just nice to finally see DOO giving 4s gang real shocks for first time, and the new g4 ergos are very very good IMO, and is a big reason Id consider one above all. It should be a very nice big mile model with fantastic economy above all, which is what BRP is targeting, not the winder crowd. Post like EVO is claiming is really misleading many BRP buyers. I would not take that engine over 200hp with that tiny stock turbo. I think it would do well around 180ish though.

Agree 100% YAM really scaled back too far losing ALL Qs3R shocks, I would buy an RR Cat instead if I was looking for 19.

2020 should bring a better tuned 900t, agree Mike it needs a season or two for brp and aftermarket to get it to a MIN 180hp for a nice trail turbo. It will NEVER compete with the winder and we both know our Hurricane tunes are near impossible to beat for reliable power with knock protection and switch on the fly that makes for a true overall experience from trail to race instantly.

I do love my tuned winder with best shocks in the biz, and incredible front end handling. Id like to see longer lasting chaincase/gears, oil tank seal and above all some more miles per belt. But at 270hp being pressed corner to corner Its respectable.

Id like to see YAMAHA come back in 2020 with alot more choice and 129 rtx needs to be there for me. And lets keep these prices in check, they keep going up with cheaper shocks! The 998 engine is a true sweetheart turbo that is proving over and over it can handle big boost for many many miles and keep ticking along without a hitch.

Dan

Last edited:
I'm glad I bought my 17 Winder and didn't wait till 19. I'm sure the 18 buyers feel the same way. There is no way I would buy an SRX with that track and electronic nightmare shocks. I'm thinking a cold Winter with lots of ice build up under the tunnel will be taking out wires. Guys will have to get used to riding those sleds with the shocks set at factory default settings. Oh and the prices of the 19's is mind blowing!!

I found the part about under hood heat build interesting and agree. My Winder has that issue for sure, even more so with added power.
Also, it is true that the meat of the sales are in the 150hp range. However that always seems to climb as the years go by. None of the guys I ride with are on 600's anymore, but 12 years ago, we all were. In 5 years from now, the meat of the sales could be in the range closer to 180-200hp
Most sled buyers want more power each time they trade up. Few ever go down in power when trading.

I think it (900) will be a nice sled for many. My possibly unfounded concern, and knowing anything can be trashed, is, will they bend and buckle like some of the 2 stroke doos when hitting things that maybe shouldn't have done as much damage? I feel the sw cat chassis is pretty dam strong (except for the tunnel extention in some cases), and I've hit stuff this year in cowpath trails, that would make me cringe, yet zero damage to the front. Or the skid. I think the sw weight is well placed in strength, and the steel tubing attaching critical areas is a good design. JMO. And the stable high speed handling and bump absorbing ability are excellent, once skis are replaces and skid dialed in.

Back