• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear Heat exchanger/ Updated

steiner

Staff member
Installed a rear exchanger into my 07 Attak. Mocked it up but did not like how low it came down. Decided to do a little modding to see if it could be higher..

Attachments

• IMG_2992 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2992 (Medium).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,028
  • IMG_3006 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_3006 (Medium).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,054

cut slots to remove the factory crossover tube.
Made a cardboard template of the rivet holes before test fitting the exchanger.
With the rear rivets removed from the protectors I removed the crossover tube and slid in the exchanger.

Attachments

• IMG_2997 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2997 (Medium).jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,024
  • IMG_3000 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_3000 (Medium).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,024
  • IMG_3003 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_3003 (Medium).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,007
With exchanger in place I made same marks where to cut the cast aluminum to help get the exchanger higher into the tunnel

Attachments

• new photos 021 (Medium).jpg
    new photos 021 (Medium).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 993
  • new photos 023.jpg
    new photos 023.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 979
  • Attak rivets.JPG
    Attak rivets.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 990
Added some neoprene to the pipes to help prevent any damage if the exchanger rattled slightly. The mounting tabs here also needed to be modded to fit its new location. The rear of the cast tunnel also need to holes for the pipes to be elongated up for the new location. Can also see in brown marker where the cast section needs to be trimmed for the tunnel ext to fit on its new angle/position

Attachments

• new photos 023.jpg
    new photos 023.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 994
  • new photos 025.jpg
    new photos 025.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,001
  • new photos 026.jpg
    new photos 026.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 995
New position of the rear tunnel ext. Used the most forward hole to start then angled it up as high as it would go to make the ext and cooler fit nice.
Trimmed the plastic hose cover to fit. Used a ss nut as a spacer on the protector and also used ss bolt and nylon lock nut to hold it into place.

Attachments

• new photos 029.jpg
    new photos 029.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 994
  • new photos 030.jpg
    new photos 030.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 980
  • new photos 028.jpg
    new photos 028.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,000
Great job Steiner! ;)!

your gonna love having a rear heat exchanger. i removed my stud protector pipes from the tunnel as ill never ever stud the machine for the conditions i ride in but after those bars were removed it got rid of the ice problem almost completely. good work

Got 135 miles withit now. Works good. Have not overheated on these warm days with marginal sticky snow. With running studs I found out that I need to add some more to the protectors. The way it was in the pics above the studs where hitting the exchanger. Have some solid 1" plastic sticks added on now. Now I need to get out and test again.
You can see in the second pic of the damage the studs did to the exchanger before I added the extra palstic strip

Attachments

• new photos 035 (Medium).jpg
    new photos 035 (Medium).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,010
  • new photos 034 (Medium).jpg
    new photos 034 (Medium).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,021
Here is a pic of the completed project. You really cannot tell that the tail of the tunnel is up an inch over stock.

Attachments

• new photos 038 (Medium).jpg
    new photos 038 (Medium).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 999
Just put on another 400 miles. The 1" x 3/4" plastic strips are doing the job. I painted the exchanger black to aid in finding any new hits from the studs. Exchanger is still black

Little update. Using the plastic bars kept the pics off the cooler but the trade off was the large holes I made to rivet them on tore out the lugs on the track.
Made some new ones now out of aluminum. You can knock the weld job. I did not do it . My friend's buddy did it as a favor for us.

Attachments

• IMG_4907.jpg
    IMG_4907.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 786
  • IMG_4913.jpg
    IMG_4913.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 760
Changed the protectors slightly for the new Ice Attack track. Don't think I need as deep as protection as I needed for the studded Ripsaw. The Ice Attack has full paddles verses the Ripsaw that has fingers that can lay over when contacting the protectors allowing the studs to penetrate deeper. I had another set of tunnel protectors and the shelf so I modified them. If this does not work I can always put the other ones back on.
Started with some 1" square tubing. Cut a slot in it to allow it to slip over the factory protector. Adjusted and fitted it in place. Added a reinforcement strip to the cut side. As the 07 does not come factory with a rear cooler I needed to space the protectors down a little bit under the muffler area where they attach. I also stiffened up the tunnel mounts of the protectors with some 3/4 tubing so they will not collapse allowing the studs to hit the exhaust.

Attachments

• IMG_5454.JPG
    IMG_5454.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_5455.JPG
    IMG_5455.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_5457.JPG
    IMG_5457.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 656
  • IMG_5462.JPG
    IMG_5462.JPG