• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear Slide Springs for Heavy Rider

Derailed

Veteran
I’m looking to stiffen up my rear suspension with the heavier springs. The two springs appear to be about $400 so I want to make sure I’m getting the right part (dealer hasn’t been much help).

Yamaha lists 2 options:

Part number: 8JXG74731000
Product name: Left Side Heavy Suspension Rear Spring
Class: Trail / Cross Country
Unit Price: CAD $196.77
Features: For better suspension with an increased load or rider weight. * Angle: 85� * Wire Diameter: .405 * Number of coils: 6.75 * Coil Width: 3.65 * Length: 18.50 x 5.48 * Spring Type: Square * Weight: 22 lb.

Part # SMA8JP477100
Product name: Right Side Rear Spring
Class: Trail / Cross Country
Unit Price: CAD $159.95
Features: For better suspension with more pre-load adjustment for ride height. * Angle: 75� * Wire Diameter: .405 * Number of coils: 6.75 * Coil Width: 3.65 * Length: 18.50 x 5.5 * Spring Type: Square * Weight: 18.5 lb.

Does anyone have experience with either of these springs? Are you able to tell me which spring is the heaviest?

What I’m confused about is that I also looked for springs through Arctic Cat as I was told the heaviest spring was:

Part number 1704-710/711
Angle: 75* Wire Diameter: .405 * Number of coils: 6.75 * Coil Width: 3.65 * Length: 18.50 x 5.5 * Spring Type: Square

The stock spring specs are:
Part number 1704-710/711
Angle: 94* Wire Diameter: .405 * Number of coils: 6.75 * Coil Width: 3.65 * Length: 18.50 x 5.5 * Spring Type: Square

So based on the specs for the springs it appears only the angle is tighter from the stock to the heavy duty spring. In that case I’d be led to believe that Yamaha’s 75deg spring would be the best option but that’s not really the indication I get from the discription.

Thanks in advance for the help.

One step up would be the springs off a 2014/15 SE Viper. Lots of them either for sale or sitting in attics. I just sold my set for $50. We all went lighter and factory did same in 16.

Yamaha canAda web site they have stock on "Heavy " springs and are weigh 22 lbs which I'm guessing they are thicker springs but not listed correctly. ( guy has bought these ones seem to be stiffer in sled, hasn't rode it yet. ) mostly for the Linq gas can on back of sled .But the LESS torsion angle will increase preload to increase ride height with heavy loads. , looks like the other is being discontinued. ( limited available)
https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/eshop/d...oup=SM&unitYear=2018&items_per_page=12&page=1

Attachments

• IMG_5876.PNG
    IMG_5876.PNG
    153.4 KB · Views: 863
  • IMG_5877.PNG
    IMG_5877.PNG
    164 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:
I would like to know this as well, I'm bringing tgr sled to have the suspension setup next week and the shop already told me thr stock torsion springs are too soft for me (225lbs without riding gear) but very confused on what to buy.

Would certainly much prefer spending less than $400 for 2 new springs :S

I'm in Toronto so hoping to find something local.

Wish you guys were closer have a heavier 1 way too stiff for me. Fett bros suggested this for my Viper.

If you put a linq gas can or heavy luggage on the tail . Heavy springs is a must . Last year with the gas can full original springs , coming out of corners on the gas the suspension bottoms hard hitting bumps . If you are crusing or off throttle it's ok

Here the actual listing in the tech book for u, so u probably want the 22 lb ones

Attachments

• IMG_5884.JPG
    IMG_5884.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 791
From what I can see SMA-8JP47-56-00 was replaced by 8JX-G7474-10-00

And SMA-8JP47-56-00 by 8JX-G7473-10-00

The new part#'s is what I see in Yamaha Canada's website for Heavy Springs.

Just order the part Yamaha will superceed to latest part#

How are you guys putting heavier springs in I’m 280lbs. I have ZR 9000 turbo limited .When I set springs lowest setting on cam with one on the blocks I can only get Two inches of sag, this is on a 137, my springs are to heavy, are you talking on the shorter 129?

Is your spring rate diff on the cats ? It's a 137

Last edited:
How are you guys putting heavier springs in I’m 280lbs. I have ZR 9000 turbo limited .When I set springs lowest setting on cam with one on the blocks I can only get Two inches of sag, this is on a 137, my springs are to heavy, are you talking on the shorter 129?
I'm on a 129, haven't ridden it yet though just going by what the suspension tuner guy told me.

I wish I could get it to sag more, the snow misses the flap, gets hot. I looked for lighter springs but not successful.

Back