• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear storage

radianguy

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha FX NYTRO XT Express
Has anybody used the skinz dry box or something similar on the back of a nytro, particularly an XTX. Not much room back there but should fit nicely and add a little storage.
Screenshot_20170418-093600.png

Were does it mount? Any pictures of it mounted ? I like the idea

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

On tunnel behind exhaust outlet.
Should be low profile enough so exhaust goes over top of case.
I don't have any pics, I was asking if anyone else used this or something similar.
I guess I will have to get it and try it!

I had a Skinz YTP400-BK tunnel bag on my stretched Phazer and plan to use it on the 08' Nytro RTX that has been stretched to 144" This is a great bag. I really like the stretchy elastic cord on this bag that is used to gather up bag material depending how full or empty the bag is. I relocated the tail lamp from under the exhaust to the rear of the tunnel extension. I think my tail lamp might be a little farther rearward than an XTX? Using an exhaust turn out, the Skinz bag will lay over he top of the tail lamp housing and stay under the exhaust turn out as long as I dont over pack the tunnel bag. This look like it should work. I will post some pics when I have time to mount the bag. G.B.
174_Yamaha_Tunnel_Pak_2008_Apex_MTX_Part_YTP250-BK.jpg

I am considering rear storage options as well on my "new to me" 2009 nitro (rear storage rack pics attached). My brother in law had a shovel (tunnel mounts you can see on right side) which I will replace with a new shovel and a small gas jug (1 gallon I think) on the empty spot next to the Yamaha small bag. Across under the muffler is another set of mounts, not sure what was located there, I think a tow rope, he did alot of back country riding and needed to be self sufficient and able to assist the stranded guy he found. Not a bad idea so with the trail tank I am thinking the extra gas is a total backup for me, more likely for a two stroker with me or a person in need... I like the hard case idea, seems like it makes sense, wonder if they make a smaller footprint option.

Rear Storage A.jpg Rear Storage B.jpg

Put a Apex Tunnel Bag on and use a shovel head as a exhaust shield using a Quick Fist Rubber Clamp!

That is a good idea. What shovels have served people well, I know many extending handle shovels break off at the exact wrong time... I have not researched them yet but assume some are built well, others not; snowbunje dot com seems to have some decent rope ratchets, etc that may come in handy from time to time. A rope ratchet was the only way to remove my brother in law from a mud bog last winter with the suction of the sled in the muck... don't want excessive weight though.

Heres what i did. Works Mint

Attachments

• 20161217_092904-1.jpg
    20161217_092904-1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 499
The hard case is a nice way to go. I was working on my freshly powder coated a-arms tonight pressing in Ulmer bushings and measured my rack for the gas can I have and located the Yamaha waterproof bag that came with my sled as well. Right now my sled has five Yamaha bags, small one in pic on rack plus the waterproof bag which is located where the gas can will go, tank bag, windshield bag and front trunk bag. With a small backpack I think I can overnight without luggage and be prepared for some of the Allagash waterway which is pretty much "on your own" territory, need a range of 160 miles without gas. Rear ratchet straps hold a shovel and carbon fiber hatchet. Planning to carry a kevlar tow rope / rope cumalong combo that I will have to piece together, "be prepared" is my motto, long hikes in gear suck! I will post some pics when I have it all set up to share with others, in the meantime, I like to see what people have pulled together as well, good ideas to build off...

The box in the OPs first post, I had that for awhile. Put heat tape on the top and still melted the crap out of the box. This was on my 136. You may be ok with an exhaust turnout and the little bit of extra room with the 144.

Nice setup Lman, what brand shovel did you go with, looks like it is all aluminum for the exhaust deflection... I have similar ratchet straps, look strong. I like the Yamaha trunk, what PN is that item, i don't think I have seen it. Mine came with two Yamaha bags, one small one and one "waterproof" bag like I use boating. I am considering replacing the waterproof bag for a 1.3 gallon gas jug when on long rides as the Allagash where we go is 160 miles gas to gas. I have the trail tank and depending on how hard on the throttle my BOL used to put a 2.3 gallon gas jug on the back and came into camp one day "on fumes". Trade offs... but your setup is one of the cleanest yet, great job.

Back