• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear Suspension Bushing question

chrishall

Pro
I have a 2005 RX1-ER. I noticed that the plastic bushings in the front and middle of my suspension are almost gone.

I noticed that the Apex suspension calls up different part numbers for these bushings than on the RX1. Does anyone know if the Apex bushings are new and improved, or are they a different size?

If thet are different sizes, can someone tell me where to purchase better ones than these? Yamaha Canada is charging $10.00ea for them so it will cost me $80.00 for cheap parts.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Bushings

Do yourself a favour and remove the suspension and install all new oil-lite brass bushings in the areas that need bushings, and also ask your dealer for the upgrade kit for the 05 mono suspension. This includes revised bushings, but I would still put in the oil-lite brass Good luck... :rocks:

I just recieved the upgrade kit for my rear suspension in the mail and it had no bushings in it. I was planning on installing the kit this weekend and while looking it over to see how much work was involed I noticed the bushings were bad.

Where do I get these oil-lite brass bushings from and do you have a part number.

The kit I recieved only included 2 stiffeners plates for each side, 2 rubber stops and a package of nut and bolts.

Chris

That kit sound like its for the rear idler wheels. The bushing kit should have larger steel shafts to replace the aluminum one and different bushings for the front and rear of the arm.

I talked to my local dealer about the wasted spacers and bushings in my 05 shorty. They said there was an upgrade kit. Supposedly it is comprised of steel spacers to replace the aluminum that is stock and a higher grade of plastic on the bushings that replace the old ones. It is my understanding that this is the same set up that is on the apex. My sled had 1200 mi. on it and my bushings were worn completely through and the aluminum spacers were chewed up pretty bad. I replaced my spacers with O-1 ground drill rod and my plastic bushings with 936 naval bronze.
I told my dealer that if yamaha thought that any kind of plastic was going to hold up under the forces that a skid must withstand they are kidding themselves. Heres one other thing , when yamaha makes those suspension arms it appears that the tubes in which these bushings are inserted are to size, when they weld the unit together. This causes the tube to warp so i had to fit each bronze bushing individually. Therefore i think it would almost be impossible to make a bronze upgrade kit that would fit properly on every sled. Which leads me to believe that is one of the reasons they use plastic. A plastic bushing can be stuffed in there and even if it's tight it will wear in very quickly. If you look at the metalurgical specs 936 naval bronze has about the best combination of corrosion resistance,wear properties and lubricity. It cost me about $85 to get all the materials. The problem with plastic is that it compresses. If the force on them was strictly rotary that would'nt quite as bad. However if you look at the way the forces are applied under your skid they heavily favor one side and the compression liabilty of plastic rears it's ugly head. IMO if you really want to fix this problem go to a machine shop and tell them what you want. Mine works super. Smooth as silk.

suspension bushings

Oil-Lite bushings can be obtained usually from any bearing supplier. I got mine from General Bearing and I think they come from the U.S. All you have to do is give them the size and lengh you want and they will do the rest. Make sure you vernier the size as this is the important part. I also removed any aluminum shaft that was in that mono suspension and replaced them with stainless steel. I also grease groved the shafts for easy lub. spread. I then put in 8 grease fittings in the aproppriate places and walla, a fantastic riding, workable skid. ;)!

I just took the rear skid out of my 03 RX-1 to give it a complete inspection and cleaning after 5000 miles. The only plastic bushings which are shot are the two for the shaft at the very front. I'm going to make a new shaft out of stainless steel and 2 oil-lite bronze bushings with tighter clearances. When I get more time I'm going to make oil-lite bushings to replace all the stock plastic junk. The oil-lite bushings with stainless steel shafts is a very good idea.

Extremely Worn Bushings

Here are couple pics of my bushings from a 2005 skid. I removed the skid for inspection because of all the complaints on this site. I found the bushings destroyed, take a look. This sled has around 2000 miles and riden easy. My A-Arm needs couple welds too, pics if you want. I am talking with the local dealer, of course they will not cover anything. I am disappointed, my 03 RX1 ER had 5200 miles, not a mark on the skid and bushings fine when I traded it for the 05. This 05 skid has paint coming off of all the welds, not a good sign, which is why I need to have someone weld couple areas on the A-Arm. I am going to get someone to weld on 5/16 grease nipples too. This should help, (approx. 8) at various points. Good luck to others who haven't inspected their skids yet.

Attachments

• 103_0398 (Medium).JPG
    103_0398 (Medium).JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 294
  • 103_0400 (Medium).JPG
    103_0400 (Medium).JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 104_0405 (Medium).JPG
    104_0405 (Medium).JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 104_0407 (Medium).JPG
    104_0407 (Medium).JPG
    29 KB · Views: 219
  • 104_0408 (Medium).JPG
    104_0408 (Medium).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 231
Extremely Worn Bushings

Here are couple pics of my bushings from a 2005 skid. I removed the skid for inspection because of all the complaints on this site. I found the bushings destroyed, take a look. This sled has around 2000 miles and riden easy. My A-Arm needs couple welds too, pics if you want. I am talking with the local dealer, of course they will not cover anything. I am disappointed, my 03 RX1 ER had 5200 miles, not a mark on the skid and bushings fine when I traded it for the 05. This 05 skid has paint coming off of all the welds, not a good sign, which is why I need to have someone weld couple areas on the A-Arm. I am going to get someone to weld on 5/16 grease nipples too. This should help, (approx. 8) at various points. Good luck to others who haven't inspected their skids yet.
where are these all loacated....i only know of 4,,,,2 on front arms and 2 omn rear arms

SUC_doo the thread you re-started is 2006. Suggest you start a new thread with your question, and link to the old thread. A new thread will get you some fresh eyes and opinions. Good information above, but I just spent reading from the beginning, all for nought.

Back