• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Relationship between rear springs and control rods

YukonMP

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Venture MultiPurpose 2020 VK Professional ll
I'm trying to understand how these things work in my sled. As I look at my skid I think the control rods limit loading on the rear of the skid, the longer they are the less weight can shift backward. Therefore we say we have transfered it forward. It seems to me that stiffer rear torsion spring settings work the same way. I think it is like tromping on the gas into the good old days of rear wheel drive muscle cars ... the thing squats right down on the back and the front lifts. To keep the front end from lifting I can use either or both but I'm noticing it is a lot easier to adjust the springs than it is the control rods.

So do I have this figured out or I am once again full of hooey?

A cpl companies (maximum and bender) made a big hand nut that went on the control rod. You could turn them even with gloves on. They also had older style that was a simple jam nut style with lines. This was on the old pro action skids ofcourse.

Now about what they do. The spring is for how much weight it will hold up. More you weigh or harder you ride moguls the stiffer you want the spring. The control rods couple the front and rear of the suspension (also limits transfer or promotes it). When the front of suspension is compressed it extends until hits the blocks and brings the rear up with it at that set angle. When the rear comes down the mogul or transfer on acceleration it hits the opposite block and stops transfer or begins to bring the front of the skid up or down with it at a set angle

Back