• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Remembering the '70's

VX1R

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Ordered: 2025 SW LTX-LE Final Edition
Current Riders:
2018 SW LTX-LE
2002 SRX Custom
Rough Trail: 2023 Lynx Xterrian 900TurboR
Vintage Riders:
1980 Enticer 300 Twin
1986 Inviter
1998 Phazer Mt. Lite
1996 Phazer Mt. Lite Mod
For anyone that was sledding back in the 70's I came across this interesting price comparison recently that I thought I'd share.....

I found it especially interesting to see the build numbers and the carry-over units from the previous year.

Any comments from any "Relic Riders?"

upload_2020-5-7_19-2-32.png

Last edited:

So approx 8-9x as much, i wonder what the change in dollar value is?

Top of line Yamaha 1800 now 18000 so closer to 10 x there. I was on a 440 ELtigre with 2 cylinders and free air but 4 spark plugs and very little suspension travel, but I was sure i was the fastest thing around. Couldn’t wait to get home and ride that thing. NOT a groomed trail in the area I knew of. We just pounded the ditches to the lakes and followed field roads , climbed hills. Oh it was a GREAT TIME.

If you think about it, the only reason the sled, trucks, motorcycles, SXS ect.... are so expensive is because of greedy company's trying to make record profits year and after year and forcing more technology into everything and driving the prices thru the roof. Then they give the workers that make those records happen a max of 3% increase on wages that barley cover gas and insurance costs that raise year after year let alone the price of normal items consumers buy... with the Virus Media/Political BS that's going on crushing the economy, maybe getting back to manageable priced products and low overhead business putting out needed simple products might just be the key to success. Just my thoughts...

Tom you gotta feel better after getting that out. .
So true yet being humans if my buddy gets a common sense sled I will spend what I call a little more and have 200 ccs more, better shocks/travel and win across the lake or from corner to corner, then to get my purchase they build that sled and on it goes.
this from a guy who just studded my 15 Viper, added carbon fiber decals to highlight areas and is already dreaming of the UP next year. I finally got time and .......

Oh the 70's. Drinking pop from glass bottle while eating a Wig Wag bar.
Driving grandpa's Sno Jet 340 or a JD Spitfire thru the fields with an open face helmet and scarf around my neck.
Them were the days. 50 cents got you a soda pop, chocolate bar and a bag of chips. Then the bottle return got you 2 packs of Bottle Caps.
Farrah Faucet and Cheryl Ladd posters on the walls. Yorx all in one stereo cranking the tunes. Yabadabadoooo

If you think about it, the only reason the sled, trucks, motorcycles, SXS ect.... are so expensive is because of greedy company's trying to make record profits year and after year and forcing more technology into everything and driving the prices thru the roof. Then they give the workers that make those records happen a max of 3% increase on wages that barley cover gas and insurance costs that raise year after year let alone the price of normal items consumers buy... with the Virus Media/Political BS that's going on crushing the economy, maybe getting back to manageable priced products and low overhead business putting out needed simple products might just be the key to success. Just my thoughts...
I agree Mr Sled, Greedy big companies that make millions if not billions in profits yearly just seem to not go for more than a couple months without making profits need a bail out from the tax payers, what did they ever do with their profit money that they made for years, a lot of home town corner stores were put out of business by these guy's that actually contributed to the communities, hopefully something good will come out of this Virus racket in the end.

Oh the 70's. Drinking pop from glass bottle while eating a Wig Wag bar.
Driving grandpa's Sno Jet 340 or a JD Spitfire thru the fields with an open face helmet and scarf around my neck.
Them were the days. 50 cents got you a soda pop, chocolate bar and a bag of chips. Then the bottle return got you 2 packs of Bottle Caps.
Farrah Faucet and Cheryl Ladd posters on the walls. Yorx all in one stereo cranking the tunes. Yabadabadoooo
The 70's, I loved those Wig Wag bars as a kid, and yes everything in glass bottles from milk to beer even the chip bags where tin foiled paper for 5 cents a bag, I remember my Grandmother looking at a big black and white TV on display at the corner country store saying "What will they think of next" lol, back in the 70s a Joint was just a bad place to be, oh how things have changed here in Canada.

Tom you gotta feel better after getting that out. .
So true yet being humans if my buddy gets a common sense sled I will spend what I call a little more and have 200 ccs more, better shocks/travel and win across the lake or from corner to corner, then to get my purchase they build that sled and on it goes.
this from a guy who just studded my 15 Viper, added carbon fiber decals to highlight areas and is already dreaming of the UP next year. I finally got time and .......
Sorry but all I can think of is the movie shrek when they first see lord farqwards castle (do you suppose he is compensating for something!)

1970 I was 16 ,pack of smokes 57 cents and a 6 pack of beer was $1.60.had a 68 super Olympic. Swore that thing would do 70 lol

Sorry but all I can think of is the movie shrek when they first see lord farqwards castle (do you suppose he is compensating for something!)
Yea I get it that way. I just admit that’s the way we HUMANS are made, maybe we are trying to compensate BUT we sure do love to be ‘special’....Oh isn’t that special SNL

Back