• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reminder about our Air Kit

Last year I had read a few posts about removing the toolbox bottom and bending the metal piece behind the bumper to increase airflow to airbox.I cannot believe that anybody that has seen the stock airbox inlet would think that these filters donot improve performance.Just look what the stock airbox is injesting hot contaminated air.Plus I havenot heard any mention of the 5pds weigh savings with these filters.The only downfall of the Kn filters is my mach z buddy knows when ived clamped it.He said it sounds like secondaries on a 4 barrel just kicked in when i pass him.Nobody take this the wrong way just my uneducated opinion.

SUPERTUNER said:
Welteracer...if your sleds performance changed, you need to find the reason why. With all your posts prior about the performance of the air kit and your e-mails to me thanking me are in direct contradiction to what you are saying now. If it ran fast with the air kit once it will run fast with it again. If it ran fast with Matt's clutch kit once, it will run fast with it again. If it ran fast with 87 octane fuel once, it will run fast with it again. In cases where performance loss is experienced, it is rarely the product that at one time ran well. I understand that you guys do not do this everyday but blaming a product regardless of what it is that ran good at one time is not helping you guys.

I am just trying to help you all so please do not take defensive posture regarding this. PB took my reply the wrong way. I am here to help all of you whenever I can and want to be a good businessman but I am here to tell you that unless you changed something else on the sled, the air kit is not the source of these problems...especially after it ran so well. I could list all the things you need to check but Mr. Sled does not have enough bandwidth on this site for the lecture I would be able to compose.

Freddie

No affense taken!!

I am not saying they dont make a huge difference , THEY DO, but they killed the top end 100+ on my sled and others ive talked to..

Ive heard from many warrior owners that they can get 130+ on the speedo ALL STOCK...

The best i got with matts clutch kit was 105 on a groomed trail... With the ecp kit it seemed to fall on its face at 100 and slowly pull to 105.. which the speedo is way off so realistically it was only going about 90mph...

On a paved road with only marginal snow (1-2 inches) i got 116mph but seemed to take a long time to get there..my stock viper would pull 119 on the same road..

If you have any thing that might resolve this problem.. Email me at WELTERRACER@aol.com

Thanks

Agree with you welter,just got back from da U.P. ( LK. Gogebic, great trails :D ) On fresh groomed trail (8) hit wall at 110. although don't know what the stock top end was . Is a rocket 40 - 100 :D am running H.H.'S , ECP's, 192 studs

SUPERTUNER said:
If it ran fast with 87 octane fuel once, it will run fast with it again.
Freddie

Hey Freddie..speaking of fuel...in all your testing, what did you find to be the best octane for the RX-1 with the filters? Or did you even try higher octane since the book says to use low octane?

Just curious....

I can see 125 to 127 on the dream meter very quickly. I still am fine tuning and will continue to. Buster I would love to know what set up you are running????? 8) 8)

Good post Freddie ;)!

Driving through the clutch, hmmm... :idea:

Black 1000 said:
I can see 125 to 127 on the dream meter very quickly. I still am fine tuning and will continue to. Buster I would love to know what set up you are running????? 8) 8)

Black 1000...what set up are you running?
I was seeing 124-125 on mine bone stock on a 22 mile long lake. This weekend will be the first time out with the filter kit and clutching. Looks like some guys are losing top end with them?
We'll see...

I have seen 127 on the dream meter but was sssaaalllooowww getting there. Now is much faster. I had to add quite a bit of tip weight to get my rpm's correct and my secondary twist is at 80 for trail. For radar I would turn it back to 70 so it shifts out earlier. Trust me I am no expert just continuing to learn. Buster has one fast puppy and may be one to ask. Also TURK has some very good knowledge.

I just keep playing to see what happens. Oh I also had a speed ring laying around from my SRX so I used it to shim out helix. No time or snow to test yet.

One thing Freddie has stated and continues to this kit will do very little to extend top end , if at all, but when properly set up will get there much faster. ;)!

I have to agree on the snow conditions. Mine is a rocket on the lake with minimal snow or bare ice 129 130 but in some snow on a trail it seems to have issues pulling 105 but thats stock or with kit I dont believe its the kit as much as conditions I have my stock air box and stuff the kit isnt that hard to change maybe I will make some rund on the same day same conditions. Freddie do I need to synch carbs if I do this or should I be OK if I synched them after installing the kit?

race24x said:
I have to agree on the snow conditions. Mine is a rocket on the lake with minimal snow or bare ice 129 130 but in some snow on a trail it seems to have issues pulling 105 but thats stock or with kit I dont believe its the kit as much as conditions I have my stock air box and stuff the kit isnt that hard to change maybe I will make some rund on the same day same conditions. Freddie do I need to synch carbs if I do this or should I be OK if I synched them after installing the kit?

You should synchronize the carbs everytime you perform an oil and filter change. I would synchronize the carbs at least 3 to 4 times per season.

Freddie

SNOWDOG said:
[Hey Freddie..speaking of fuel...in all your testing, what did you find to be the best octane for the RX-1 with the filters? Or did you even try higher octane since the book says to use low octane?

Just curious....

On a stock engine with my ECP Air Kit, I have seen best dyno numbers with 93 octane premium unleaded fuel. I have also seen the same numbers on 87 octane pump fuel. I every case however, I had installed the Fitch Fuel Catalyst. The FFC absolutely, positively works!

Freddie

I too dont understand what some people expect out of these kits. The reason there is no HP gain at the top of the rev limiter is because there is only so much air this engine can take into it. When the engine is flat out that is all there is it cant take in any more air than the stock air box at top end. More air + more fuel = more HP. Ok we can deliver more fuel what about more air? Nope sorry not without some outside help like a blower or turbo charger. So if the amount of air is limited even with easier breathing filters which is what the ECP kit is. The bottom line is the air is limited and if air is limited so is the HP. Now what if we give it more air and more fuel while it is reving up to top end with an easier breathing air filter system (ECP Kit) what would happen? Well you will get a more responsive engine with higher HP output which will take you to the top end limited HP quicker. Freddie if I have this all wrong please correct but I dont think I do. My little e-ram which will give it more air at the top end will make more HP at the top end and in fact all the way through the HP band as long as it can hold a 1 psi postitive pressure on the intake the whole time up to & past the top end . But this is a slight supercharger the ECP can not do this so why expect that it can.

??? Reading through these post I see two things. 1st the guys with the carbs are saying (yupp it works) and the fuel injected guys saying (nope lost speed). So My question is this...On the injected sleds...when you removed the air box and allow the engine to breath better and breath colder air then are you guys changing the software for the fuel injection? Could these guys with the injection now be lean. If the pulse width is the same at wot without the kit and then with the kit then wouldn't sled now be on the lean side???

Back