• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Removing exhaust

Wow i would think just a thread cleanup would be easy on the tap. Probs should go beter than my hf tap set then.

Is tap a m8x1.25 i assume and or is a thread chaser a differnet tool?
The problem is that it is not just cleanup, the holes aren't tapped all the way through, and often not even deep enough to thread the entire bolt in, I've seen bolts from the factory bottomed out so bad that the end of the bolt is just a nub

I'm sorry, I honestly don't recall the size, but a tap is the same as chasing threads. Make sure you use some good cutting fluid. Don't try to take too much of a cut, when I say 1/8 of a turn, don't be surprised if it is only 1/16 of a turn or even less. You then have to turn the tap backwards at least a full turn to break the chip. You want to clean the hole often. I swapped between a taper tap and a bottoming tap everytime I pulled the tap to blow out the hole.

If you are nervous at all, pay somebody a couple beers, preferably after they are done running the tap through all the holes lol.

Last edited:

The problem is that it is not just cleanup, the holes aren't tapped all the way through, and often not even deep enough to thread the entire bolt in, I've seen bolts from the factory bottomed out so bad that the end of the bolt is just a nub

I'm sorry, I honestly don't recall the size, but a tap is the same as chasing threads. Make sure you use some good cutting fluid. Don't try to take too much of a cut, when I say 1/8 of a turn, don't be surprised if it is only 1/16 of a turn or even less. You then have to turn the tap backwards at least a full turn to break the chip. You want to clean the hole often. I swapped between a taper tap and a bottoming tap everytime I pulled the tap to blow out the hole.

If you are nervous at all, pay somebody a couple beers, preferably after they are done running the tap through all the holes lol.
There are different size taps for the same thread. some are a little bigger for pre plating..There all the same pitch diameter at box stores..not saying it matters for this application by any means!

So ss bolts? Why are we putting lock washers on something we cant get apart easily anyway
Check with Tommcat at Tommcat Performance, he sells the bolts for the exhaust.if you want to go that way,and he sells the copper gasket.

Once we tapp the holes & put on Nickel Anti-Seize, i guess they could back out.
Let's not forget that Stainless bolts are WEAKER.
So they make stronger SS bolts i think through ARP.
ULMER had some.
I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but 2 of the holes don't go all the way through so shorter bolts, or more washers, are required.

No need for washers. SS BOLTS are fine use plenty of anti seize. Just snug them up good. DO NOT go crazy with torque. I pull mine and replace with new bolts every year. Do not make this complicated these worked with nickel anti. 13k miles. Start your sled and let it run until 170 degrees. Pull
34C9F634-BE2D-4C14-AD45-072117661F3B.png

No need for washers. SS BOLTS are fine use plenty of anti seize. Just snug them up good. DO NOT go crazy with torque. I pull mine and replace with new bolts every year. Do not make this complicated these worked with nickel anti. 13k miles. Start your sled and let it run until 170 degrees. Pull View attachment 163142
Are you going to factory spec of 18 ftlb which Does not seem like much

Are you going to factory spec of 18 ftlb which Does not seem like much
Never used torque wrench. I NEVER had to chase the threads. Changed bolts every year. If I had to guess 20 lbs of torque is plenty.

The first time i removed my exhaust i broke a bolt.
Tried everything. It broke.
Luckily i was able to drill a bigger hole & just thru-bolt it.
I chased the rest of the holes & installed store bought SS bolts with some high temp anti-seize. (can't remember what it was)
The next removal, when i realized this chain case needs constant attention, one bolt barely made it out.
The SS bolt was compromised, so i sprung for the hardened SS bolts that are $5 a piece.
Then i bought the highest temp Nickel anti-seize i could, i think 2800 degrees F, and all was OK after that.
Since the chain tension needs to be checked regularly, these bolts now get freshened up plenty.

Just remember that regular SS bolts are WEAKER than average steel bolts.

P.S: Almost impossible to get good torque readings on all 6 bolts so i just use the same wrench & technique on each so they are reasonably close

Back