• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Replace motor?

wingr1800

Veteran
I have a thread a few lines down about problems, but no regrets. I now now know I blew a rod (correct terminology?). The dealership is working on something for me. It's an '09 Vector LTX with between
5-6K miles, and very good condition. I'm curious if anyone here has heard of or replaced a motor. I really like the sled, but I guess I don't want to get way over my head on this. The dealership I go to is a very well known Yamaha dealership and does a lot of performance work also. I have dealt with them for quite some time and I like, as well as trust, everyone that works there.

Went to look at sled this morning. The hole is on the bottom of block, middle cylinder. The hole is a little smaller than a silver dollar.

check with barn of parts or one of the other sled scrappers on here about how much a motor will be for it.

I have a thread a few lines down about problems, but no regrets. I now now know I blew a rod (correct terminology?). The dealership is working on something for me. It's an '09 Vector LTX with between
5-6K miles, and very good condition. I'm curious if anyone here has heard of or replaced a motor. I really like the sled, but I guess I don't want to get way over my head on this. The dealership I go to is a very well known Yamaha dealership and does a lot of performance work also. I have dealt with them for quite some time and I like, as well as trust, everyone that works there.

Curious why did the engine blow with that low of miles?

Have seen quite a few over my 10 years of stripping Yamaha sleds. Granted I am in the parts business, so people call me when they have one with a bad motor. In overall scheme its not common, and I think it comes down to a mfg defect such as improper tolerance. By no means are the motors prone to this kind of failure.

I have (2) of these motors available if you opt to fix yours.

I would NOT fix the engine. Simply look for a smashed or junk sled or buy a used stock engine from someone, like hibshman for example.
It is VERY rare for these engines to fail. One thing I have seen on these engines that are carbureted is fuel leaks by the needle valve for some reason filling a cylinder with fuel, then the next time the engine is attempted to start, it hydralocks and damages the rod.

Back