• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Replace wiring harness 2008 RS Venture

Country
USA
Snowmobile
08 Yamaha rs venture 2up
05 Yamaha rs rage 1up
Hello All - on my latest project. Last ride of the year, one of my relay blocks melted, ruining the wiring plug / harness in addition to the relay. This is probably some short as a derivative of the sled being submerged about a year earlier for a little more than a day!

Thanks to Travis @ Barn of Parts, i have a new to me, used harness from another sled. I am working on replacing it now. So far, i have been able to start from the front, removing back to the fuse block. I put the new one in, up to that point, laying it in place.

Will post some pictures after i finish and report how it works out...

I haven't tried very hard, but the fuse block doesn't want to come off, if anyone knows a tip / trick - let me know.

I haven't tried very hard, but the fuse block doesn't want to come off, if anyone knows a tip / trick - let me know.
Update - this is super simple (the fuse block that is) in that a very small screw driver behind it triggers the clip mechanism, comes right up. Definitely glad i didn't pull on it a lot before taking my time...

Update - OK, I now have it running, with the new harness. Unfortunately however, the headlights and dashboard aren't working. That's a big win already, and gives me confidence. Now need to figure out why the gauge / headlights aren't working. I checked the ground, and now need to check the fuses

OK - Tried to swap out all of the relays, with a known good machine, that i confirmed the dashboard & headlights were working (Delay was caused by a bad battery on that sled Yuasa only lasted one season, disappointed...)

- No luck, does anyone have a suggestion what i can / should try next to troubleshoot why i am getting no power to the headlights & dashboard? thx

does the back up alarm work? uses same fuse as cluster on the rx sleds.

does the back up alarm work? uses same fuse as cluster on the rx sleds.
Haven't tried that yet - but swapped out all fuses in the fuse block, and changed out all of the relays (the 3 on right side foot panel) with known good ones from an 05' Rage that is working

have you checked/cleaned the plug in under the tool kit in the nose of the sled? there is also a spot the harness rubbed under there for the rx sleds.

have you checked/cleaned the plug in under the tool kit in the nose of the sled? there is also a spot the harness rubbed under there for the rx sleds.
Thanks guys for your ideas - still not working, so keep the ideas coming. What i just did was test the dash / lights, by plugging them into the good sled i do have. Interesting thing was that the black plug had to be in (Dash), before the lights went on. So - seems like the Dash / Lights are not the problem but something with the harness / relays. Seems like time to get out the multi-meter, but not really sure where to start.

The one thing i will do next, is try the backup alarm as suggested, keep forgetting to try that and see if it comes on, that would maybe eliminate the relay as the problem...

OK guys - finished up all my other pre-season projects - now i have to get serious about this...
- Harness isn't worn, and i did the following - Tested the hood / dash on my 05 rage - they both worked... (Side note is that the headlight didn't work until i plugged in both gage & headlight connectors)
- Swapped the CPU from the rage (known good / working) into the Venture, still no luck
- Backup / Reverse doesn't cause audio sound either
Status - no gauge, no headlights, but runs well
- Does anyone know how to test the harness at the relay to see that i am getting the right power when running on the relay plug? Also which one to test, i believe the middle one on right side.
- Also - does anyone know what the relay on the left footwell does? It is the only one i don't have on the rage, although i do believe i rotated the relay out. If it is critical to this, could be worth replacing, but would be cool if someone knew what it was for, thx

OK - Here's the update...
- Purchased a wiring diagram, compared all behavior on the load control relay with a multi-meter
- Jumping the relay causes everything to work (but it doesn't turn off / on based on the engine...)
- Bought a new load control relay as the last straw - it didn't work
- Bought a switch from trailer supply and put it on the jump part of the circuit (Remove battery if you do this, i shorted out a starter relay fuse, delaying me by a week...)
- Ran it for a test ride, with the switch at night, ran 6 or so miles and had fun - had to leave it at that as the weekend was over, but got it all back together

Back