• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Replaced stator and now she won't run

Dstrategic12

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 sex viper ltx
I have a 2014 sr viper with hurricane turbo and power commander. I bought it this past summer and went out for a ride. I made it about 30 miles and the battery died.

So I figured out the stator was bad. Yesterday I went to replace it. I removed the turbo from the exhaust intake and just flipped it on my radiator all together still with oil line still on. I went and replaced the stator and flywheel and they were shot.

Once done I fired the sled up and it ran fine until the temp got up to about 80°f. Once it got warm it wouldn't idle, seems like it's misfiring or starving for either fuel or air.

Next morning I start it and same thing it idled fine until it warmed up and then again it wouldn't idle or even move if I wanted to.

Any ideas? I already replaced plugs, coils, voltage regulator

Last edited:

I have a 2014 sr viper with hurricane turbo and power commander. I bought it this past summer and went out for a ride. I made it about 30 miles and the battery died.

So I figured out the stator was bad. Yesterday I went to replace it. I removed the turbo from the exhaust intake and just flipped it on my radiator all together still with oil line still on. I went and replaced the stator and flywheel and they were shot.

Once done I fired the sled up and it ran fine until the temp got up to about 80°f. Once it got warm it wouldn't idle, seems like it's misfiring or starving for either fuel or air.

Next morning I start it and same thing it idled fine until it warmed up and then again it wouldn't idle or even move if I wanted to.

Any ideas? I already replaced plugs, coils, voltage regulator

You have AFR guage? What it reading when this happens.

You have AFR guage? What it reading when this happens.
I do not. Today I unplugged the power commander and it fan fine. Plugged it back it and smelled like it's getting way too much fuel. Couple hours later I tried to cold start it with the power commander plugged in and won't start

I do not. Today I unplugged the power commander and it fan fine. Plugged it back it and smelled like it's getting way too much fuel. Couple hours later I tried to cold start it with the power commander plugged in and won't start
I would guess the map is off and over fueling and with AFR you would be able to see that.

I'm looking into that now if my computer will ever finish updating. I'll let you know what I figure out

Dave has not responded to me so I had to buy a stock pipe and air box to remove the turbo so I can ride until it's figured out.

I think when the stator was bad the pcv was not working and the owner before me welded the waste gate open ( just noticed that) so it would run like a stock sled. Once I fixed the stator the power commander works and not the turbo either is messed up or rusted I'm not sure I haven't looked into that I just removed it so I can ride. I am very upset I can not find anyone online with a map my tune needs so I can ensure it's right or help out. I was very excited to run a hurricane turbo as I have heard great things. My step dad even even knows Dave from hurricane, he might not remember but he run trade showed for Yamaha with Brian ehmann.

Shout out to Brian ehmann for getting me the parts same day to turn my sled stock so I can ride it

I have a map for 1200', central Minnesota that should be pretty close. Just the hurricane turbo with trail can no other add ons. PM me with your email and I can send it to you.

So the sled runs fine if I disconnect the power commander and won't start with it plugged in. Thoughts? Bad pcv? Bad tune?

Naturally I'm not going to run the turbo without a programmer to prevent damage

Any luck with this? AFR gauge would help alot.

I should have a Hurricane tune for a Viper. If you want to PM me your email I will search for it and send it. I had an '18 that I put a Hurricane kit on. I had to make a lot of adjustments to the original tune because the '18 OEM mapping was very different from the '14 but it would be a good starting point for you.

For now I put the sled back to stock but I could use a new fuel map as I will be reinstalling this. I was going through a half tank a fuel every 15 miles so way too much fuel.

Back