• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Replacement Top Gear Bushing

twyztid

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX SE - TD Power Trail, CAI, 3" Super Quiet
2012 RS Vector
2006 Apex GT
I got a quote for having some top gear bushings made that would be identical size & type as the OEM bushings. The downside is that I don't know if it would be worth it due to the cost of them. Seems like the new top gears are around $35-$40/ea. If I were to order the replacement custom-sized bushings, I would need to sell them for $20-$22 shipped (U.S.) in order to make it worthwhile. What do you guys think?

I have some that seem to be lasting a lot longer than the stock ones and fit the shaft better, slightly longer but again I believe that is a good thing. Made out of a different material as well. Can also get solid bronze ones but the ID needs to be bored slightly, however quite easy with a $10 brake hone to make it fit as snug as you want.

I have some that seem to be lasting a lot longer than the stock ones and fit the shaft better, slightly longer but again I believe that is a good thing. Made out of a different material as well. Can also get solid bronze ones but the ID needs to be bored slightly, however quite easy with a $10 brake hone to make it fit as snug as you want.

So they are 1" long instead of 7/8" long like the OEM bushings? That doesn't seem to cause any issues?

I have some bronze bushings as well. I had originally thought that the bronze bushing would hold up better but after researching them deeper, I found that the OEM type with the teflon coating on the interior and steel outer sleeve will handle a lot higher load than a cast bronze bushing (psi).

Your right in the ballpark at $20 but then there is shipping. I have been getting donor gears just for the bushing for $21. I believe the Taylor bushing I bought one year was $35 and was same thing as stock. Same result.

I have to wonder if Cat/Yamaha is still using the exact same bushing they used in 2012 because they still are not confident in the hardness of the shafts? Back in 12,13 there was a lot of sleds that the bushing and shaft wore. Now it's very rare but have seen one that must have been very soft recently. Would be better to have a needle bearing or a DLC coated bushing in there but shaft has to be hard to use the bearing for sure.

So they are 1" long instead of 7/8" long like the OEM bushings? That doesn't seem to cause any issues?

I have some bronze bushings as well. I had originally thought that the bronze bushing would hold up better but after researching them deeper, I found that the OEM type with the teflon coating on the interior and steel outer sleeve will handle a lot higher load than a cast bronze bushing (psi).
Nope the 1 inch fits better in my mind actually stops the gear from sliding side to side and gives it more support laterally. I don't like the stock bushing they are cheap impregnated bushings with some kind of coating. I forget what the load specs were on the stock ones but there is better alternatives for sure. The coating does nothing for durability.

Nope the 1 inch fits better in my mind actually stops the gear from sliding side to side and gives it more support laterally. I don't like the stock bushing they are cheap impregnated bushings with some kind of coating. I forget what the load specs were on the stock ones but there is better alternatives for sure. The coating does nothing for durability.

The 1" wide ones are a standard width and are cheap. I didn't know if it would have any clearance issues. Are you centering it or offsetting it so it is flush with one side.

The stock bushings are a steel backed bushing with a thing layer of sintered bronze and then a layer of Teflon. They have a LOT higher load rating than a solid cast bronze bushing (which I had originally thought would be a better option). I have the specs for both types and this was confirmed by calling the manufacturer.

So... I guess I don't really know where this leaves us. There are other types of bushings and even some that have iron in the bronze but as Cannondale said, shaft wear may be an issue.

Your right in the ballpark at $20 but then there is shipping. I have been getting donor gears just for the bushing for $21. I believe the Taylor bushing I bought one year was $35 and was same thing as stock. Same result.

I was thinking $20-$22 shipped but that was for the custom width. But, since NYTurbo says the standard width works better, it is probably not worth the extra cost for the custom width.

My buddy tried those severe load bushing from McMaster Carr and they took a #*$&@ as well. Word was Cat is going to have a fix this season??????

The 1" wide ones are a standard width and are cheap. I didn't know if it would have any clearance issues. Are you centering it or offsetting it so it is flush with one side.

The stock bushings are a steel backed bushing with a thing layer of sintered bronze and then a layer of Teflon. They have a LOT higher load rating than a solid cast bronze bushing (which I had originally thought would be a better option). I have the specs for both types and this was confirmed by calling the manufacturer.

So... I guess I don't really know where this leaves us. There are other types of bushings and even some that have iron in the bronze but as Cannondale said, shaft wear may be an issue.

Set them flush on the side where the reverse gear locks into it. I'm approaching 3000 miles on one right now at 290 hp plus and the bushing is still tight on the shaft.

I got the 1" bushing and cut a little of to make them flush on both sides of the gear.

I wonder what was changed on these over the years. 11000+ kms on mine and I am definitely not easy on things. My buddy has a high mile 1100 Cat, has like 25000kms or so on his 21 top gear, he bought one of the update kits with a new jackshaft back in 2015 or so.

I wonder what was changed on these over the years. 11000+ kms on mine and I am definitely not easy on things. My buddy has a high mile 1100 Cat, has like 25000kms or so on his 21 top gear, he bought one of the update kits with a new jackshaft back in 2015 or so.
Ever look at them? What kind of wear? I will admit it's entirely possible even when wore there might not be a issue. Most of us that have seen the case blow ups just don't want to take the chance. Heck one look at the tiny teeth that have to line up perfectly with other gear and drive the sled is enough to know its not worth chancing.

McMaster #60695k7
Is identical makeup as the stock bushing it will need to be trimmed 1/8” to fit.
Cost is under $5

It actually has 500lbs less load capacity than a 660 bronze bearing but slightly more than the oilight bronze bushings.

Last edited:

The chain changed, used to be a silent chain now it’s a HYVO.

Back