• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Replacing track.... What else should I change?

Dusty A.

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder RT-X SE
So the end of last season I snagged a rock and tore a track.
I ordered a new ripsaw 2 track for my 129" RTX what else should I change while I have to take everything apart?

5k miles on sled, TD 270HP tune, Stingray mods front spring

Replace driveshaft bearings?
Replace chain case bearings?
Secondary rollers are flat spotted.... Stick with same stock rollers or upgrade to Thunder products?
New spring in secondary will this solve the flat spotting?
Replace upper gear in case?
Anything i'm forgetting? I would like to try and have everything on hand before I start.....

Also anyone have any opinions on studs? Im between Woodys and Fast Trac studs. I do have the glued in center protector as well

This place is a wealth of knowledge and I have spent days reading posts and it gets to be overwhelming on the things you can, or should do.

I ordered a new ripsaw 2 track for my 129" RTX what else should I change while I have to take everything apart?

Secondary rollers are flat spotted.... Stick with same stock rollers or upgrade to Thunder products?
Anything i'm forgetting? I would like to try and have everything on hand before I start.....

Also anyone have any opinions on studs? Im between Woodys and Fast Trac studs. I do have the glued in center protector as well

This place is a wealth of knowledge and I have spent days reading posts and it gets to be overwhelming on the things you can, or should do.
Yup, welcome to TY...wait till you go through Rockerdan's video's and a few other of the experts on here...it will spin your head on how smart these guys are..Travis at Barn of Parts is a mechanical genius too..check out his store ...again, welcome aboard. Joe

As long as you're gonna have it apart, for the relatively low cost of the parts, and relatively high PIA factor to do it later or mid-season, I'd replace chain case seals as long as you're already planning on new bearings.
Yeah, check out upper gear bushing. See how much metal is in case. How wore is chain?
Make very sure the sight glass is sealed (or if in doubt, re-seal it).
Are you still running stock ROV system? If you are, any thoughts to bypassing it?
Should at least re-grease the jack shaft bearing on secondary side.
Check ALL skid wheels and hyfax.
Brake pads?
Are pistons in brake caliper nice and free or are they seized?

Tack weld the screws that hold the roller to the chain tensioner arm if not already done.

Barn of Parts coolant hose protectors is a good idea. Also replace All bearings in the skidframe with good quality ones. The jackshaft bearing on the clutch side is Yamaha specific but it's a Japanese bearing (good).

As long as you're gonna have it apart, for the relatively low cost of the parts, and relatively high PIA factor to do it later or mid-season, I'd replace chain case seals as long as you're already planning on new bearings.
Yeah, check out upper gear bushing. See how much metal is in case. How wore is chain?
Make very sure the sight glass is sealed (or if in doubt, re-seal it).
Are you still running stock ROV system? If you are, any thoughts to bypassing it?
Should at least re-grease the jack shaft bearing on secondary side.
Check ALL skid wheels and hyfax.
Brake pads?
Are pistons in brake caliper nice and free or are they seized?

I went though the skid last season and changed the bearings.
Jack shaft bearing was cleaned and repacked.
Driveshaft bearing in the caliper housing was cleaned and repacked. - Im just thinking of replacing it this year as long as I have to take it out again.
Brakes are all working good.

I went though the skid last season and changed the bearings.
Jack shaft bearing was cleaned and repacked.
Driveshaft bearing in the caliper housing was cleaned and repacked. - Im just thinking of replacing it this year as long as I have to take it out again.
Brakes are all working good.
Barn of parts sells a regular gasket to replace the oil tank r t v seal from factory If you have a pre 2020 sled there is a heated roll over valve kit available.Keeps oil tank from pressuring if valve freezes be safe.

Also my track drivers were very worn at 5k miles, you should check yours.

I got new drivers at 5000 miles with my warranty driveshaft. Don't know if they were worn out or not but the shaft was screwed.

Back