• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Revalving RTX to a FX?

Lucas

I'm looking at buying a RTX, but everyone says that the RTX is too stiff for normal trail riding. I can get a good buy on the RTX, so I was wondering if the shocks can be revlaved so that it will ride like the RX? Has anyone done this? How does it work, where did you have it done, and how much did it cost?
Thanks for any help.

I dont think you want to revalve them to FX. Alot better than the FX is what you should aim for and probobly have... Hygear or Pioneer has setups I belive.

I have the RTX and just had mine done at pioneer performance, I asked for a better ride on smaller bumps but able to handle larger ones also. I just installed them but have not rode yet, plan to go this weekend and will post results. Cost was $300 dollars, one week turn around with shipping. I asked if they would write down what exactly they would be changing so I would know, but when returned this wasn't included, must be a trade secret.

No, FX is stiff as a board in stutters and bottoms easy on regular bumps. The standard valving is nothing short of brutal. I put mine in the shed until I can revalve to Hygear spec this summer as my Apex GT is sooooooo much better. My Phazer is just as stiff in the stutters but can take 3 times the hit the Nytro can and fly flat and straight !

Re-Valve-Results, I was able to put on some miles with shocks revalved. Problem was trails were in too good a shape with soft snow conditions. But I did notice the floats run at 50 psi were more compliant on smaller bumps. The rear skid was also better, except one stretch of trail had 2' bumps spaced close, it didn't handle this that well. The front of the skid seemed to be bottoming out ,I thought maybe the front shock needed a quicker rebound not extending all the way before the next bump. But I'am not sure, this is all new to me. Overall I would say the sled did feel better. When I returned home I checked the manual they referred to the rebound adjustment as direction A softer, B harder. I thought these would be noted as slower and faster. Maybe someone could help out on this.

I have been testing valving specs for a suspension guy all winter....he tunes and I ride...he has it nailed, my RTX skid soaks up everything. Never has a skid work this well.

he does not advertise on this site.....if interested PM me.

The stock shock valving on the RTX has next to nothing for slow speed compression and brutal stiff on high speed. Three washers and a stopper......I run my clickers fully open.

who ever you choose, make sure they test on real sleds and on real snow...!! LOL, be honest about your speed and riding style.

gromleyflyer that sounds wierd about the low/highspeed dampening. Alot of guys say that it is the opposite... Very much low speed and very little highspeed...

Kråkan said:
gromleyflyer that sounds wierd about the low/highspeed dampening. Alot of guys say that it is the opposite... Very much low speed and very little highspeed...

they say that from riding or from looking at the shim stack.....?

It feels the opposite when riding yes, but it's not the case on the piston stack up. A bunch more low speed helps with anti wheelie also and then its a matter of tunning the high speed to suit the rider and his style.........not you clothing style, your Swedes and your funny tight pants. (Toronto loves Sundin btw)

If the high speed is SOO stiff why does the rear bottom like crazy when hitting bigger bumps? and feel so harsh when getting the clicker on full closed? the clicker adjusts mostly lowspeed. If Alatalo says it has to much low speed and to little highspeed I would belive what he says... And 08NitroRTX said the same thing early this winter after having his apart...

I have mine out getting them revalved right now and he was going to soften the low alot, dubble the highspeed and getting alittle more rebound aswell. Ill let you know how it goes...

Kråkan said:
If Alatalo says it has to much low speed and to little highspeed I would belive what he says...
Well, everything is relative and according to everybodys own reference.
I have tested couple of different settings and I have had success with a small reduction in the low-speed compression damping constant, a quite big increase in the high-speed compression damping constant and also with a small increase in the overall rebound damping constant. If somebody else is having success with different directions I have no reason to (or interest in) arguing that.
Then, please also remember that there is more in shock absorber technology than simple, constant velocity damping forces (it does not get interesting until dynamic response is being studied...). Because of this I will not guarantee that my setup will work also in the OEM shocks.

gormleyflyer2002 said:
The stock shock valving on the RTX has next to nothing for slow speed compression and brutal stiff on high speed.
I do not know about the front shocks and the rear shock, but I have had my OEM center shock on the shock absorber dyno. I had a quick look at the dyno results. The damping constant is clearly higher at low speeds (let us say up to 0.25 m/s) than at high speeds (at 2 or 4 m/s), both compression and rebound.
I have had success in going the opposite direction (more "linear"), basically removing the "blow-off" by reducing the low-speed damping constant and increasing the high-speed damping constant.
But again, I am not saying that this is the only solution and I have got no reason to argue anyone with a different opinion.

Well I dont really know anything about shocks etc but I have talked to Alf S about your setting and he will try setting the shocks app as you stated in another post. Then we will se if that is WAY of and Ill have to get hold of some real shocks HAHA

Back