• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse Button Issues (Different than not wanting to shift)

Beaverbanker

Hey,

At my work we have a 07 Phazer Mountain sled and a 07 Venture Lite. Both of these sleds have issue that when you push the reverse button sometimes nothing happens. This is different then when you push the reverse button, the light flashes, makes the beep beep, but wont shift into gear till you rock the sled.

At first I thought it was just the Phazer, but the Venture did it to me the other day too. The only solution is to unhook the battery or turn the machine on and off a few times.

Same things was happening on my sled. When I push the reverse button - nothing - no beeping no flashing. Here is how I solved it:

1. To start the sled I would turn it to On and wait for the fuel pump to prime. Then I would start it. Reverse would never work.
2. Now to start it I turn the key to start right away - no pause to let the fuel pump prime. Now reverse always works. This has worked every time I run the sled now - no reverse issues whatsoever.

I probably need to adjust the TPS.

Same thing happens occasionally with my MP. May be something inside the gear box and the sensor switches as I have noticed that when it doesn't work, my D light was intermittently flashing prior to that. I would have to switch the ignition off and do the key trick to get it to work. Others have speculated it may be something with the throttle position sensor that may need adjustment or replacement. This is the first season that it's been doing this.

Definitely a PITA and embarrassing when you're trying to maneuver around.

had same issue with my 07 last year after I bought it second hand. I did adjust the TPS(had to drill a hole in bulkhead by clutch in order to get a torx screwdriver in to access the sensor) and it solved the problem of reverse but created what seemed to be a lean running engine at low rpm. I am thinking now that maybe the sensor and the actual throttle cable may be out of sync a little due to the cable stretching maybe? I haven't really dug into this much. I did notice that as I under adjusted the sensor, the engine would run fine at idle, but reverse wouldn't work. when I over adjusted, engine would run lean(hight idle), and reverse would work fine. I found a happy medium and it is ok now but would like to get it to where the engine doesn't want to race when just puttering around the yard. any suggestions?

Has the secondary been updated? It's an extra shim and newer belt. The wife's was giving me (her) grief and a new OEM belt solved it ( was running Max). You want the belt to sit flush or max 2 mm below sheave face edge. The twins are different than the triples.

canoehead said:
Has the secondary been updated? It's an extra shim and newer belt. The wife's was giving me (her) grief and a new OEM belt solved it ( was running Max). You want the belt to sit flush or max 2 mm below sheave face edge. The twins are different than the triples.

I just installed the updated belt and it sat way too low so I took it apart and removed a shim and it's perfect. The serrated part of the belt sits just above the sheaves which I think is what it's supposed to be. While I was there, I polished the helix ramps and replaced the buttons, which were still in pretty good condition after 8000 Km.

V-belt height (standard) –0.5 ~ 1.5 mm (–0.02 ~ 0.06 in) This right out of the manual.
I

And how does this apply to us that are using the "reverse" secondary. I'm running with the belt slightly lower in the secondary. What's the new part numer for the updated belt?

8GK-17641-10-00 is the updated belt. The original was a 8GS- something.

I just tried it out with the belt riding as it should slightly above the sheaves and it's still a bit finicky to shift in and out of reverse but not any worse than before. Maybe once the belt is broken in, it might improve.

What is your idle speed at the time you are trying to engage reverse? The Phazer won't engage reverse if your over 1,900 Rpm.

G.B.

Mooseman said:
8GK-17641-10-00 is the updated belt. The original was a 8GS- something.

I just tried it out with the belt riding as it should slightly above the sheaves and it's still a bit finicky to shift in and out of reverse but not any worse than before. Maybe once the belt is broken in, it might improve.

Thanks for the part #. Are you running the new secondary and what is the difference in the belts.

I apologize to the OP for getting off topic.

I really don't know what the difference is between the belts but I have a feeling that it's a bit wider but with the additional shim, makes it ride low in the sheaves. I am running with one less shim than original, which was two so it rides right up at the top of the sheaves.

I find that adjusting the chain on the loose side helps with the reverse shifting. The manual says to adjust it finger tight and back off 1/4 turn. What is finger tight? That is very subjective. I turn until I start to feel a bit of resistance and then back off 1/4 turn.

just an update on my reverse issues. I tried adjusting the tps and it did seem to make it much better, but it does seem to lean out the engine at low rpm. makes sled hard to ride at slow speed when just touring around in the woods. adjusted the tps in opposite direction, and the reverse issue seems to come right back(can hardly ever get it to ever go into R), but the engine doesn't lean out anymore and low rpm riding is fine. not sure if I can fine a happy medium here but I will try adjusting the chain first. maybe a combination of both will help.

Back