• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse button non responsive

zxtyler

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 SRX
Anyone have this happen? It does nothing. Checked fuse and wires but didn’t find problem.

Anyone have this happen? It does nothing. Checked fuse and wires but didn’t find problem.

I had this happen on my SW and a Viper. A common problem. They both use same actuator. Like Sevey said it could be shot but I doubt that it is. If you have a warranty you will get a new one. But if you are decent at working on the issue you likely can fix it your self.

First I would take off side panel to see the actuator, start sled and see if you can hear the actuator make noise when you hit the reverse. You could also take it off and watch if the sprocket turns when hitting reverse.

I don't know if I solved the problem with heat or by taking the actuator off thus freeing something that was stuck. I took the viper inside to be heated then took actuator off. Started sled and hit reverse. The actuator turned so I don't know if heat fixed it or by taking it off did the trick. Just explaining what happened.

Additionally, if you do these steps, hear the actuator make noise but the sprocket doesn't turn then the actuator motor is fine but the sprocket in the housing is worn. You could fix this by opening the actuator and replace the sprocket or simply remove it and turn it a 1/2 turn. The actuator only turns about 1/4 back and forth. By rotating it you get a new unworn area. (*THis is my assumtion as I actually have not done this before, just saying I think it would work)

The 17 SW's and older Vipers used plastic sprockets that will wear out the teeth. Replacement actuators and new models I think have metal sprockets.

Here are some more ideas: https://ty4stroke.com/threads/reverse-issue-brand-new-viper.152212/

This is totally fixable if the actuator motor isn't shot which I highly doubt it is. Good luck

Thanks but I don’t think the actuator has anything to do with Starting the engine. It’s like there’s no power from the button. Starts fine with key. But no button= no reverse.

Thanks but I don’t think the actuator has anything to do with Starting the engine. It’s like there’s no power from the button. Starts fine with key. But no button= no reverse.

What? Did you read my info, where are you getting this "starting the engine" stuff? Are we talking about the same thing. I assume you have a sidewinder and the reverse worked before now it doesn't when the sled is running... of course. Is this correct?

If yes, then what I said most likely applies. You are assuming there is NO POWER to the reverse. Most likely there is power, you just don't see the R button and hear beeps because the senor knows reverse didn't engage. I bet there is power, hitting reverse button is sending power. This is why I was recommending you do basic diagnostics to determine if the actuator is working (makes noise).

Both times on my SW and Viper the button would do nothing making you believe there is no power. The reality its all about the actuator. If this doesn't make sense or you don't believe me then by all means take it to the dealer and they'll most likely put a new actuator on even though most likely the actuator is fine.

Warming the sled in heated area or putting a blowdryer on the actuator will probably fix it. Most likley the thing is stuck. I heated sled and took off actuator to inspect. Once the stuck issue is relieved, the sensor will engage.

I believe he has push button start, looks like sxtyler has a 2020 with push button start that is not responding.

Thanks good to know. Out of curiosity I had to pull SRX specs to see they moved the reverse button for what they call stealth control but it still has "the push button reverse gear shift". Same still applies... if sled is running and you push the reverse and nothing happens... my money is on the actuator. The Viper thread I posted above and my own experience supports this.

zxtyler please post if you solve the problem. My 2020 had problems after being stuck, no problems since (fingers crossed). I'd make sure the problem is repeatable and bring it to the dealer (warranty), that is if you can back-off the trailer/truck

Pstn head/paul
- your correct, need to put the key in a certain position and hit button but if I have gloves already off, why find the key position, or just turn the fecken key. My F150 has lets say 14 buttons, 7 of the buttons do the exact same thing as the other 7, ya stealth control

Anyone have this happen? It does nothing. Checked fuse and wires but didn’t find problem.[/ What I think he's trying to say is that it won't start with the button on the handle bars. For those that are unaware the 2020 and newer Winder and Viper use the reverse button and a start button also. Make sure your key is on, kill switch is up, and teather is secure. I've had this happen to me once I turned the key on an off and then it worked fine.

Ok so now that I some how screwed that post up I will try again. I think what he is trying to say is that the start button isn't working. For those of you that are not fimilar with the 2020 and newer machines they use the reverse button as a starter button also. You need to make sure the ignition switch is on, kill switch is on, and the teather is secure. I had this happen to me once I cycled the ignition switch and then it started. I will say that the buttons they use on the handle bars for reverse and start are not glove friendly. I have also had problems with the dimmer switch for headlight

Ok thanks. I agree the switching motor is most likely fine.the problem is the button isn’t communicating any info to anything. IMO. Not crucial to have it for starting but I’m used to having reverse . It’s a must. I have started the sled a few times in heated shop . Using the key it works fine.

And maby Paulsee is on to something. If the acuator is Stuck could it prohibit the push button start ? Maby like a safety or default.?

Ok, so newer winders sorta work like the ski doo start/reverse now along with using the key option to start. Interesting.

The sensor could be tied to that button impacting both start and reverse. This may help with the puzzle. When I took off the actuator but left it plugged in, started engine then hit reverse (on 15 viper), I observed the sprocket turned then turned back when hitting reverse again. There was no R display or beep sound but it proved to me there was power. The actuator motor is rather weak so if the reverse gearing is stuck (frost/ice, dirt, binding, whatever) it doesn't have the power to turn it. So I freed something, put the actuator back on then it was capable to turn now so hitting reverse got back the R display and beep sounds because the reverse actually engaged now.

I hope this is the case as the bad actuator from worn teeth or stuck gearing (whatever is the case) is most likely as it's a common problem with Vipers and winders. Loss of power (wiring) is the least likely IMO. I could be dead wrong but my bet it is the actuator/gearing if you have no reverse. Good luck

I talked with a dealer they think probably the control switch. They have never changed one due to this,but have changed some from getting broken. They have the part in stock and it will be warranted so that’s the route I’m taking. Thank you everyone.

Back