• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse issue caused by bad upper bearing

PAvector

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha SR Viper
Reverse issues caused by a bad upper chain case bearing. The reverse gear would not mesh properly not allowing the upper gear to slide. I always filled the oil slightly past the top of the glass sight, so I don't think this was the issue. I'm wondering if I got a knockoff SKF bearing I replaced the PEER at 6500 miles.
Should I replace it with a PEER from Yamaha or CAT or go down a different road? Comment if you have seen knockoff bearings. When I installed it a few years ago, the box said it was made in Switzerland, Austria or Sweden.
2014 SrViper LTX 18,300 miles.

Last edited:

Peer from Cat or Yamaha is just fine. Look for debris like from chain or something to have caused it. No company can guarantee 100% perfect. Sorry for your bad luck.

Before I tore the case apart, I replaced the motor and relay and had the same issue. I tore the case apart today; the bearing balls are almost falling out of the cage. The shaft moved about 1/16" up and down. The top gear bushing was good, and the pucks are good.

I had the same issue, unfortunately it took out my case, so its going to be brand new next year. In my case it would go in reverse but the R and the sound did not happen as the magnet that says its in reverse was coated in bearing debris.

Make sure you change your chains (in my case) or at least clean them really well as they hold a ton of filings in them.

I see you have a 2014 Viper. It has that damn "wobble" jack shaft bearing in the chain case which has caused many, many failures of all sorts over the years. I have a 2014 Viper RTX, my wobble bearing went at 4500 miles like most others did and it took out a whole lot in the case including that back cover. I upgraded my sled to the 2017 and newer jackshaft, bearing and a few of the chain case internals. No more issues with this bearing and the failures it causes. If I were you, I would call Travis at Barn of Parts and buy the updated parts from him and install the 2017 and new jack shaft bearing in your chain case. I was able to upgrade mine for around $250 total. Here is a link to the post I had on the conversion to the 2017 setup: https://ty4stroke.com/threads/jackshaft-update-kit-part-numbers.159724/

Back