• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse issues.

Kkurz

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 XF7000 Sno-Pro Limited
(Yamaha powered)
My sled seems like it's only half shifting into reverse. It makes a grinding noise and it's related to the rev. It doesn't do it every time but has done it a couple of times in the last couple of shifts.
I'm handy, and I suspect the shifter fork pads, the reverse actuator has been changes fairly recently but I'm not ruling it out. But is it possible that belt deflection could be the culprit? I did just put a new belt on it 2 days ago after blowing one.

Could be both.
If the belt deflection is too tight it can cause difficulty shifting into reverse.
A worn top gear bushing can cause this also.

You need to check your gear, chain tension and also while you have it apart put in the brass shift fork pads on.

I've done the top gear recently. I'll check belt deflection, but I suspect the shift fork pads. It just seems suspect that this happened 100km after I put a new belt on.

Well, I dove in and took the chaincase apart and I think I found the culprit. The plastic pads on the shifter fork were almost gone. $50 Canadian for those little chunks of plastic, criminal! Oh well, here's hoping the shifting comes back to normal.

I did add a thin washer to shim the secondary for a little more belt deflection too.

Get the brass pads. As soon as the upper gear wears, it breaks the plastic ones.
Unfortunately I bought plastic ones from the dealer. it's a done deal for now, but I've put 8000km on that sled and it has 17,000km total, not sure if the pads are original but it's the first I've replaced them.

I did the same thing. Problem with the plastic ones is that if there is any wear in the other stuff it compounds and breaks the pads. My second set at 8000km only lasted 1000km. I then rebuilt it with new gear, brass pads. lasted 12000k until upper bearing packed it in. My own fault for not changing it out but it felt great. Wont make that mistake again. Change them all at once.

Back