• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse to get unstuck

fsusledder

Who uses reverse to help them get unstuck. I found this helps with the heavy nytro. Just wondering if anyone else does this?

I standup wiggle her side to side and give her the juice!!!

Pete

I used to get stuck reversing before I cut the bottom of the snowflap off. But I never touch the reverse handle when stuck.

X4
When I'm stuck, reverse isn't gonna help.
2 hands + dig, lift sled to side of hole and easily throttle it..... works every time.

If you think you are *going* to get stuck, hop off and feather it backwards if you still have the option. If you *are* stuck, well in my case anyways the running boards are below your boots and the track is hanging, so you're not going anywhere..

So you have to lift it up out and get it on new surface to the side - you're going to need atleast 2 guys for that though usually.. And having someone either pulling by hand on the ski, or with a sno bunjee helps a ton to get moving. (sno bunjees are worth their weight in gold if you're going to be getting stuck more than once)

Or what I've been finding best for me in the real deep stuff is rolling it like the mountain guys. I can do it myself and I'm not a real big guy(I also said screw the hand guards though - easy removal is better than hand guards right now). Its literally 5-10x faster getting out, simply rolling it over and hasn't hurt anything. Roll it over and get it on fresh snow and out of the hole and then pinner'

IMO . . . If you can reverse, you are not stuck yet.

As soon as it starts to struggle you can usually turn out if there is room. Sometimes there is no room, or I react too late and the best option is to dig it in a little so it doesn't go freewheeling down the hill backwards which usually ends bad for me and my sled. Just if it is digging, don't bury it in needlessly, it just makes it harder to get out.

If you are really stuck, it is time to take your helmet off and get to work, however no need to rush just enjoy the experience and workout. I do a lot more resting nowadays then I used to. Plus it is a good time to take pictures of the scenery or anybody else that might be stuck near by.

First thing I do is figure out which way is best to get out (usually downhill is best). Then I tramp a place to set the track (out of the hole it is usually in). Then fill the hole the track came out of and tramp it down good. Then tramp an area to bring the front around if needed. It is ironic, but this is all easier the steeper the hill is because gravity helps you and sometimes eliminates the need to tramp snow. Just don't let it get away from you and go rolling down the hill. That can be hard on the sled.

Sorry, I got a bit carried away there . . . What was the question ???

Lot's of good info above, taking your weight off the sled and feathering it is very useful whenever the traction is a problem and the sled just wants to dig. You just have to keep up with your sled is all . . . at least most times it is a good idea.

This picture here is from the other day where I was able to back it down after lifting its #*$&@ up onto fresh snow

DSCF1023.jpg

It doesn't do it justice how steep it gets, and about 95% of the hill is behind me. I entered the shot from the left and the easy route was to the right of the sled, but I decided to head up between those trees, she was doing some awful digging, but just didnt have it.

Its lame how flat the camera makes hills look. We had one a couple days back that you were nearly coming over backwards on the top lip, and it looks like the grade of a highway off ramp in the picture.. lol

Back