• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse Won't Work Try This

UP bushman

VIP Member
I have an 07 MTX and had a huge issue with reverse when sled was new. Yamaha fixed it after much hair pulling and race team info. It wound up being throrttle positioning sensor not allowing it to shift into reverse. Well it started acting up again it would work sometimes and then it would not. I'll save you the troubleshooting process to say this. I for some reason started doing this when it would not work and every time I did it would start working.

When your sled won't go into reverse when pressing button and R lite does not go amber. Turn sled off hold throttle wide open then turn key on and allow fuel pump to cycle. From here let throttle off and start sled reverse should work. seems stupid but it has worked a dozen times so must be another throttle positiong sensor. Yes I checked all fuses and sensor adjustment was in the proper reading range.

This I have to try.
My 07 Venture Lite is doing the same as you described. Seems to have a mind of it's own on when it wants to work. Pushing the reverse button has no affect ... no yellow light, no beeping ... nothing. This season seems to be 50% of the time it will not work. Very frustrating!

Thanks for the post. I'll try it out this weekend.
Hope it works as I am at the end of my leash with the reverse issue. :o|

Same issue with my sled. Sometimes its works - sometimes I press the reverse button and nothing - no beep no reverse light. If I shut the sled down and start it and press the button it always works so I think my TPS needs to be adjusted. Here is the procedure to adjust TPS. I'll tackle it this spring after the season. I don't use reverse often.

Attachments

• TPS.jpg
    TPS.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 2,440
Cubby, thanks for the info. I had the same issue with the reverse working intermittently. turning it off and holding the throttle w/o when turning the key to on, releasing, and then starting did seem to work most of the time(thanks UP Bushman). Over the last few days I tried a bunch of stuff like jumping out the TORS, powering the actuator itself, etc. Nothing worked any differently. I saw you post on the Throttle position sensor so I gave it a try. I had to drill a 3/8 hole in the bulkhead between the engine and the clutch in order to get a torx screwdriver in to reach the sensor bolt. I adjusted it all the way clockwise but no change so I went all the way counter clockwise and it is now working perfect. The idle seems to be a little high but this sled is new to me so maybe just me. I didn't check the voltage as I couldn't access the sensor wiring with taking the air box off. Note sure what the voltage is now but it works perfect. Might try to adjust it back a little to see if it changes the idle. I have been working one a 600 sxr 144 for the last 6 years and this new phazer is quite the ball of engine, wires, and aluminum! Can't see anything on these!

Good to hear Yammimodder. If I start the sled without pausing in the On position reverse works for me. If I pause on the On and then start - no reverse. This spring I will adjust the TPS.

I just heard about lifting up the rear inorder to get the sled into reverse and it works every time. I do it on both sleds going into reverse and only one sled when going into forward. It is a pain, but it works! I am thinking that once to take the pressure off of the track, the gearing or whatever frees up.

Boston RX1 said:
I just heard about lifting up the rear inorder to get the sled into reverse and it works every time. I do it on both sleds going into reverse and only one sled when going into forward. It is a pain, but it works! I am thinking that once to take the pressure off of the track, the gearing or whatever frees up.

My brother showed me the trick of wildly rocking sled left and right and it will go into reverse (when reverse lights blinks and will not go)

UP bushman said:
When your sled won't go into reverse when pressing button and R lite does not go amber. Turn sled off hold throttle wide open then turn key on and allow fuel pump to cycle. From here let throttle off and start sled reverse should work. seems stupid but it has worked a dozen times so must be another throttle positiong sensor. Yes I checked all fuses and sensor adjustment was in the proper reading range.

My reverse has worked just fine since I read this post a month ago. On Sunday past the sled would not go into reverse and I finally had the chance to try this trick, and sure enough it went into reverse as UP bushman said it would. Thanks for that tip UP bushman. ;)!

I'll do the "Yammimodder" fix in the off season ... or sooner if I have to!

I have an 07 MTX and had a huge issue with reverse when sled was new. Yamaha fixed it after much hair pulling and race team info. It wound up being throrttle positioning sensor not allowing it to shift into reverse. Well it started acting up again it would work sometimes and then it would not. I'll save you the troubleshooting process to say this. I for some reason started doing this when it would not work and every time I did it would start working.

You're a geniu

It worked!!! Don't know how many guys I talked to & not one knew this little trick! Bugged several mech's at both dealers & they had no advice like this, thanks, made my day!

I have the same issue with my 07 venture lite,so just wondering about the guys that we're going to adjust there tp sensors,if it worked or not ,or will I have to replace the sensor.i also notice that if I start the engine without waiting the reverse is fine,but if I drive it a couple of hundred of feet the issue comes back and the idle is high.did you guys also notice if you waited for the pump to shut off , the engine has a little bit of a rough idle?
Thanks for the help

Back