• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Riding Ontario's RAP

Rerhardt

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 viper
Hi Folks, I few of us from the states are looking to ride the RAP. can someone please enlighten us how to go about it, do we just book a night in three different locations??? Are there any particular towns that are a 1/3 of the way, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I started near Kearney and ran the first day up to Deep Water. The second day rode down the B trail to Lake of Bays and stayed in Dwight. Made it back to the Kearney area on the third day. It's a lot of riding per day to do it in two nights in a hotel but possible. It's best to do it on weekdays so there's not much traffic on the trails.

Coming from NY I'd think about starting in the Lake of Bays or Hunstville area, maybe in Dwight at the Spring Lake Resort then run up the D trail to Mattawa and stay there the first night. The second day ride across the A trail to Pembroke and the third day down the B trail to Madawaska. Last day back to Lake of Bays.

Last edited:
I started near Kearney and ran the first day up to Deep Water. The second day rode down the B trail to Lake of Bays and stayed in Dwight. Made it back to the Kearney area on the third day. It's a lot of riding per day to do it in two nights in a hotel but possible. It's best to do it on weekdays so there's not much traffic on the trails.

Coming from NY I'd think about starting in the Lake of Bays or Hunstville area, maybe in Dwight at the Spring Lake Resort then run up the D trail to Mattawa and stay there the first night. The second day ride across the A trail to Pembroke and the third day down the B trail to Madawaska. Last day back to Lake of Bays.

Thank you very much

I've rode many areas up in Ontario with my Canadian friends. If you need more info send me a message and I'll do my best to help you out. I'm thinking about doing the loop again but in the reverse direction this time.

The RAP tour is VERY weather dependent. I grew up in the area to the North of Kearney and still ride the area a ton. Over the years I have planned the trip many times, but only done this tour maybe twice. Like mentioned, mid week is your best bet because most of these trails see a crazy amount of traffic each and every weekend. If you’re heading up from a long way away make sure the snow conditions are good ALL THE WAY around the tour you’ve planned. Central Ontario winters are nothing like they used to be. To say the conditions have been “spotty” over the last decade would be an understatement.

I've done this ride twice. The first was around the year 2000, I was riding 1998 SX700. Started in Haliburton and rode east towards Quebec, then North and stayed at North Bay the first night. We made it back to our starting destination the second day. That was spirited riding.
I did it again about six years ago. Decided to take it easier. Started from Haliburton again and rode to Pembrooke. Good accommodation there. Rode to Sunridge the next day. Good accommodation there also. The train whistle may wake you up early as it passes by. (it woke us haha)
Rode back to Haliburton the last day.
To answer your question, the great thing about the RAP ride is that there are plenty of places to stay, eat and refuel.
The not so good thing about the RAP tour is that most of the trails are rather tight. (Not Sidewinder type trails.)
I greatly prefer riding North of Timmins or Quebec.
I completely agree with the others that you want to do this during the week.
On our first trip we also ran out of snow in an area South of North Bay.

The RAP tour is VERY weather dependent. I grew up in the area to the North of Kearney and still ride the area a ton. Over the years I have planned the trip many times, but only done this tour maybe twice. Like mentioned, mid week is your best bet because most of these trails see a crazy amount of traffic each and every weekend. If you’re heading up from a long way away make sure the snow conditions are good ALL THE WAY around the tour you’ve planned. Central Ontario winters are nothing like they used to be. To say the conditions have been “spotty” over the last decade would be an understatement.
Thank you for this infromation

I've done this ride twice. The first was around the year 2000, I was riding 1998 SX700. Started in Haliburton and rode east towards Quebec, then North and stayed at North Bay the first night. We made it back to our starting destination the second day. That was spirited riding.
I did it again about six years ago. Decided to take it easier. Started from Haliburton again and rode to Pembrooke. Good accommodation there. Rode to Sunridge the next day. Good accommodation there also. The train whistle may wake you up early as it passes by. (it woke us haha)
Rode back to Haliburton the last day.
To answer your question, the great thing about the RAP ride is that there are plenty of places to stay, eat and refuel.
The not so good thing about the RAP tour is that most of the trails are rather tight. (Not Sidewinder type trails.)
I greatly prefer riding North of Timmins or Quebec.
I completely agree with the others that you want to do this during the week.
On our first trip we also ran out of snow in an area South of North Bay.

Lots of good info - the first question is to ask yourself clockwise or counter clockwise.

You can do it in 2 days but man those would be long days. 3 is optimal. 4 is better is you have time.

Going clockwise for 3 day outing - Starting in the Huntsville/Haliburton area is a good point. Deerhurst, Sand lake lodge.
First day - ride from base and stay in Mattawa.
Second day - ride down the Ottawa River valley, lunch in Pembroke. Head west and stay in Barrys Bay area.
Third day - leave Barrys Bay through the south end of the Park and back up to your starting point.

The comment about weather is bang on - some winters the Ottawa River valley has great snow and the Muskoka area is dry. Then vice versa. Definitely call around.

Good luck
MS

Back