• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ring Free

KEITHFD

Extreme
Website
www.haverhillfirefighters.com
I had a friend work on my RX-1 today. I mentioned it was using more oil than before and he suggested I use Ring Free fuel additive. Can anyone tell me anything about this product? Is it good to use, how often ect...Also, are there any alternative products to consider? The ad for the stuff claims it helps keep carbs clean too, so that alone makes me want to use it.

I think Sea Foam is similar and I really like Sea Foam...use it in all my gas engines including cars.

Groomerdriver said:
I think Sea Foam is similar and I really like Sea Foam...use it in all my gas engines including cars.

Ring free is stronger you have to change your oil when done. I use it on all the sled that come in.

we use it in the two stroke outboards to clean the carbon from the pistons and rings - would turn the oil black if used in a 4 stroke

If it's using oil, Ring Free will not cure the problem. Like most additives it is a waist of money. I went through this with my 660 grizzly. I added it to the oil and used it as a fuel additive. I finally installed new valve seals, piston and rings which cured the oil burning problem.

I think I'm going to try it. The guy that told me about it is a Yamaha mechanic. He said they get sleds in all the time with carbon around the exhaust and puffing a little black smoke, like mine. His theroy is that the deposits make the rings stick and allow oil to pass by. It sounds plauseable to me. He claims they've had great results. The only thing that stinks is between the Ring Free and Stabil it will be like keeping a chem lab with me on the trail on a sled that has no storage to start with.

Ring free and seafoam will not correct your oil consumption problem. Many, many owners of 03 and 04 RX-1's have tried both ring free and seafoam without success. Tye only way to solve the oil consumption problem is to replace the piston rings with the 2005 parts. Yamaha updated the construction of the piston rings in 2005 to a higher tension.

KEITHFD said:
New rings?! I think I'll just add oil. I'm not ready to get into that just yet. I thought these things were supposed to be gas and go. It's starting to be as much work as a two stroke :o|

Sorry bud, but unless you bought your '03 RX1 brand new.... you shoulda done better homework. It's a very well known issue & has been since '03.

I dump any thing I can find in my tank, injector cleaner, seafoam, stabil, ethonal and ispropyl. I think I use abot 10% gas and the rest additives and all the products do everything they say. if your cylinder is oval it will make it round and magically make rings like new

according to the directions on Ring Free bottle you add 1 oz to 10 gallons for every day use. Or 2oz to 1 gal for shock treatment. You need to chang the oil after the shock treatment. No oil change is necessary for 1oz to 10 gallons.

Ring Free will remove carbon deposits on the valves and pistons of all 4 stroke motors. We have a 150 HP Yamaha outboard at work and the rep from Yamaha told us to use it once in a while to help remove carbon from the motor as it is at idle a lot while on the water. You do not have to change oil after using this product. It also works very good on 2 strokes for carbon removal. It was used to decarbon 2 stroke outboards for years and will work on 2 stroke sleds too.

It will de-cabon the rings and allow the oil ring to seal better again. Yes you want to change the oil because all that carbon will be in the oil. Try it and you'll see it turn the oil black. I used it on my daughters Saturn that was burning a quart of oil every 300 miles and it improved to 2,000 miles before needing more oil after the treatment ;)!

Back