• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Roll Over Kit

I cleaned mine out after two seasons and had about half a soda cap of water in it as I was afraid of it freezing and sticking. Never had a issue with it sticking but always looking for something easy to work on in the garage.:beer:

Here again is a diagram of the oil separator with the ball check valve that reverses the air flow direction when rolled over. Oil from the bottom tank line ends up in the separator when rolled and eventually gets pushed out to the airbox when upright.

Oil separator 2014-srviperp (1).png

Oil separator 2014-srviperp (2).png

Oil separator 2014-srviperp (3).png

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!!! I don't use that dealer for any service. My dealer's line was busy so I phoned this place. One more question... I've got 5,000 miles on, and 3 oil changes done.... should I be checking that ball valve? Thanks again in advance.

Thanks for the info!!! I don't use that dealer for any service. My dealer's line was busy so I phoned this place. One more question... I've got 5,000 miles on, and 3 oil changes done.... should I be checking that ball valve? Thanks again in advance.
Keep it clean I do it once a year. They have updated it with more slope to get water out better but honestly like griz said some have issues some don’t. Conditions

All four strokes engines build internal pressure and need to vent that pressure so damage doesn't occur. The hot venting air also carriers oil vapor so an oil separator is installed in the vent line to capture the oil vapor as it condenses and returns it to the oil tank.

Note: What is important here is the location of the oil tank in relation to the oil separator box when upright and in the rolled over positions. Also, when the sled is back to upright after a roll over some of the oil in the separator will make it's way to the airbox then drop out on the ground (it's not as much as it may look)

Oil separator explained.jpg

Last edited:
Please forgive my lack of mechanical knowledge, but based upon these diagrams and what is being said, it seems like a tipover/rollover would not be all that big a deal, and that other than possibly losing your prime of the oil pump, a sled should be fine as soon as it is righted? If that is the case, what does the "rollover" kit do, and why do we need it? In the group I ride with, we have rolled Vipers (on their sides, but not upside down) a half dozen times in the last 3-4 years, and have never had a problem getting them going again.

Please forgive my lack of mechanical knowledge, but based upon these diagrams and what is being said, it seems like a tipover/rollover would not be all that big a deal, and that other than possibly losing your prime of the oil pump, a sled should be fine as soon as it is righted? If that is the case, what does the "rollover" kit do, and why do we need it? In the group I ride with, we have rolled Vipers (on their sides, but not upside down) a half dozen times in the last 3-4 years, and have never had a problem getting them going again.
I think most of us including myself normally lay them over on either side and that I believe is the problem, if the sled was totally up side down than the check ball system on the viper would function as it should, otherwise I don't think there is enough weight and volume of oil to make it work properly.

I think most of us including myself normally lay them over on either side and that I believe is the problem, if the sled was totally up side down than the check ball system on the viper would function as it should, otherwise I don't think there is enough weight and volume of oil to make it work properly.

X2
The check ball system works well in applications where the vehicle is either right side up or 180 degrees upside down. A perfect example would be a personal watercraft or a boat! While a snowmobile can be tipped or laying over at a multitude of odd angles which may or may not allow the check ball to fully close. It's for this reason I prefer to use a normally open solenoid shut off valve controlled by a tether as it is not sensitive to vehicle angle. If the key is on and the tether is pulled, the valve will remain closed until the rider either plugs the tether back in, turns the key off, or re-starts the engine!
Bill

Also works great if you have to roll the sled over from being stuck bad. Turn key on pull tether which activates valve and roll it over without fear of any oil loss. Been there and done that a few times. Thank You Bill!

how do you clean it for maintenance?

Back