• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rollover Valve doesn't work!

Deeppow16

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Arctic Cat M8000
2009 Yamaha Nytro MTX (Totaled)
2002 Polaris 600 XCSP (Sold)
1999 Ski-doo Formula 500 (Totaled)
Last year when I was riding I notice that when I would pull the tether and roll my nytro over that there was still a mess in the air box. I'm thinking that my valve is stuck open. Does that happen? I cant seem to find a clear answer. If its stuck, what have others done to fix it? Also how can you tell its working without rolling it over?

I would think that the roll over valve is not going to close unless the sled is tipped to a certain angle therefore how could it keep oil from migrating out and into the air box? I am not fully familiar with these valves so I am not sure if they are designed to keep oil out of the air box when in their engine "run" state.

area these valves supposed to help keep oil out of the air box?

area these valves supposed to help keep oil out of the air box?

They are tether controlled and designed to help prevent oil from leaking in to the air box when the sled is rolled or dumped on it's side. The basic function of how it works, is if a rider lays his/her sled over on it's side or falls off. The tether gets pulled and it shuts the engine down like a normal tether. Then simultaneously as the engine is shut down, the shut off valve closes in the vent line to help prevent oil from leaking out of the oil tank via the breather hose and in to the air box.
Once the rider has the sled back upright, simply plug the tether back in, restart the engine and your on your way!

To answer Deeppow16's original question. Usually how I test the valve to see if it's functioning correctly is to turn the key on with the engine off, then while touching the shut off valve with your fingers pull the tether. You should be able to feel a light click as the solenoid closes the valve. If it clicks closed, then your good to go! If you don't feel or hear a light click, then most likely the valve just needs cleaning as shown in the link that Rooster posted above.

If the cleaning procedure didn't do the trick, I do have additional diagnostic procedures that I can email to customers. Also I carry a full line of replacement parts in stock as well.

Bill

Last edited:
They are tether controlled and designed to help prevent oil from leaking in to the air box when the sled is rolled or dumped on it's side. The basic function of how it works, is if a rider lays his/her sled over on it's side or falls off. The tether gets pulled and it shuts the engine down like a normal tether. Then simultaneously as the engine is shut down, the shut off valve closes in the vent line to help prevent oil from leaking out of the oil tank via the breather hose and in to the air box.
Once the rider has the sled back upright, simply plug the tether back in, restart the engine and your on your way!

To answer Deeppow16's original question. Usually how I test the valve to see if it's functioning correctly is to turn the key on with the engine off, then while touching the shut off valve with your fingers pull the tether. You should be able to feel a light click as the solenoid closes the valve. If it clicks closed, then your good to go! If you don't feel or hear a light click, then most likely the valve just needs cleaning as shown in the link that Rooster posted above.

If the cleaning procedure didn't do the trick, I do have additional diagnostic procedures that I can email to customers. Also I carry a full line of replacement parts in stock as well.

Bill
Yeah I will give that a try and see what its doing once I pull the sled out in the next week or two. My guess is it just needs to get cleaned up as it has been on the sled for awhile now.

Bill
I took the valve off and it was gummed up pretty good. I followed the cleaning procedure on website and its like new again. I even watched the valve close to see if it closed all the way and poured some water in it to see it any leaked through. It's good to go for the year now. Also maybe you know, but I saw a post somewhere saying to put the valve at a 45 degree angle when installing it? Is that true or does it not matter?

I took the valve off and it was gummed up pretty good. I followed the cleaning procedure on website and its like new again. I even watched the valve close to see if it closed all the way and poured some water in it to see it any leaked through. It's good to go for the year now. Also maybe you know, but I saw a post somewhere saying to put the valve at a 45 degree angle when installing it? Is that true or does it not matter?

Yes, that is correct. On the Nytro and Phazers, you'll want to mount it so that the solenoid end is angled up at least 45 degrees (straight up is OK also). This helps the oil residue drain back out of the valve.
Also the valve is directional with an inlet and outlet. So it is very important to install it in the correct direction and not backwards. If it's plumbed in backwards the safety "pop off" feature can not function correctly.
On Nytros and Phazers the valve is plumbed in so that the "short or lower fitting" is facing towards the oil tank as shown in this pic. http://fourstrokesolutionsllc.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=99246413

Attachments

• Nytro, Phazer replacement valve.JPG
    Nytro, Phazer replacement valve.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 164
Yes, that is correct. On the Nytro and Phazers, you'll want to mount it so that the solenoid end is angled up at least 45 degrees (straight up is OK also). This helps the oil residue drain back out of the valve.
Also the valve is directional with an inlet and outlet. So it is very important to install it in the correct direction and not backwards. If it's plumbed in backwards the safety "pop off" feature can not function correctly.
On Nytros and Phazers the valve is plumbed in so that the "short or lower fitting" is facing towards the oil tank as shown in this pic. http://fourstrokesolutionsllc.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=99246413
Ok thanks for the info!

Back