• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS Lower Chain Case Bearing Check

It probably isn't a bad idea to add a little synthetic gear lube to the chain case. It will lubricate better, and run cooler. I use Amsoil synthetic at 50% to 50% conventional gear oil in my case. I have found in my own tests with my tow vehicle, that the differential runs cooler with synthetic gear oil in it.

TINK said:
It probably isn't a bad idea to add a little synthetic gear lube to the chain case. It will lubricate better, and run cooler. I use Amsoil synthetic at 50% to 50% conventional gear oil in my case. I have found in my own tests with my tow vehicle, that the differential runs cooler with synthetic gear oil in it.

Is the Yami recommended gear lube synthetic? If not, has anybody used full syn in the case? What did you use?

I'm a big fan of synthetics and would run it if Yami's isn't.

ya u better check that out at 2000 miles in new brunswick this winter 200 miles from the truck mine went and did 700 dollars worth of damage to the rest of the chaincase :die i wasnt to happy

beamer said:
I just got back from North Bay and had track problems. I must have hit some bad ice and shaved lugs off all the way around the track. I came home early and got started on removing the track I found the track axel bearing gone on the clutch side It also broke the speed sensor but no other real damage. I have 5300 miles seems kinda early. I also started blowing belts on this trip. Two in 800 Miles. Any ideas other than bad luck? I would like to check the allignment but not sure how. The last belt was 102.00 Canadian,ouch.
I have greased my drive axel bearing clutch side twice now and replaced the jackshaft bearing since they were doing a jackshaft recall replacement...I'm wondering now about that lower chaincase bearing ...should I check it ??? I have 5,500 miles ..maybe going bad?? Also I seem to be eating belts at about 400 miles...any suggestions?

2005 RS Venture bearing problems

I have 2500 miles on my sled. Just blew the drive bearing. Wrecked the back part of the crankcase. Bend the shift levers. $702.00 I was totally loyal to Yamaha until this happened. This should not happen with only 2500 miles

I feel for ya...I'm glad I have been reading and talking to Yammi guys and found out about how to go about greasing that bearing!! I tell EVERYONE about it!! Thats HUGE especially if your on a trip and that goes! I have told some people there is NO grease fitting down there you have to take those small eye glass screw driver with the very flat edge and carefully pry out that seal ...wash out the bearing with starting fluid, then blow it out with air ..twice.. be careful not to blow to hard into bearing so you dont blow seal out from the backside, then put some marine grease in there almost every year..in fact I would say every year if you do over 500 miles. Its not that big of a job takes only 20 min at most. The jackshaft bearing last much much longer because no water gets in that area unless you get it wet alot with a power washer??

I dont understand why yammi cant get a grease fitting down there somehow!!! I agree this should not happen with only 2,500 miles.

Good info Hondo - as always. Keep on reporting what you find. You're a high miler and will be one of the first to know what to look for regarding maintenance and so on.

Chaincase lubricants - I have been using fully synthetic engine oil in my sleds for the last 4 years, both the stock RX-1 and the Turbo RX-1, with good luck, in fact I use the same oil as I use in the motor. I've had no problems with chaincase bearings, changed all drive chain bearings on the turbo sled when going turbo, all chaincase bearings were in good shape, but changed them for the piece of mind.

I add 100 cc or 1 deciliter (approx 1/10 of a quarter) more when using engine oil than the book calls for using gear lube. If the service manual says 250 cc of gear lube, I use 350 cc of engine oil.

My take is:
- motor oil is thinner so you will have to add more to properly oil the chain and gears as motor oil does not stick to metal as well as gear lube.
- more oil will help keeping temps down.
- more oil takes more time before it breaks down
- I change the chaincase oil every 2000 miles

Chain deflection is paramount, adjust the chain finger tight, meaning tighten it as hard as you can with your bare hands, no tools used. When tightening the locknut make sure you do not tighten the adjuster bolt any further, this can happen and your chain deflection gets too tight, putting too much strain on the upper and lower bearings, causing a premature failure of one or both bearings.

I know for a fact that using fully synthetic engine oil works well on my two RX-1s, but I have no way to tell if it will be a success on other sleds.

I have this idea from, my friend who is Yamaha mechanic, who also is a partner at my local Yamaha dealership.

Thanks rxrider,

All sleds have issues.

In my opinion, RS sleds are a little harder on bearings than most because:

1. Its a 3 cylinder motor.

2. Has no gear reduction like the 4 cylinder.

3. The cylinders firing sequence is every 270 degrees.

4. The harmonics, and vibrations at certain rpm's are sent throughout the entire sled frame which causes the increased harmonic vibration that have an adverse affect on bearings.

Over time, sledders that put on more miles should see this maintenance trend.

Yamaha could do better providing better bearings, however in the meantime, since the sled does have many miles on it I have changed my inspection routine.

I have all the bearings checked every 4,000 miles.

The chain-case fluid is checked daily. 2,000 miles or every oil change is when I check chain tension.

My mechanic sees more bearing problems on the 3 cylinders than 4 cylinders.

Hope this helps! ;)!

Have any of you guys switched to a different brand of bearings instead of using yamaha replacement parts, such as BSA or NTN???? And if so does anyone have the numbers for cross referencing???

Back