• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS Venture GT Quiet and Comfort clutch results

Mooseman

I'm not all knowing. Post your question in forum.
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'07 Venture MP (gone)
'07 Phazer FX (gone)
'09 Phazer GT (gone)
'10 RS Venture GT (My current ride)
'10 Nytro FX (son's)
Just installed the Schmidt Brothers Comfort and Quiet clutch kit. Did a comparison video and although it doesn't sound like it changed much, I think the frequency of the noise has changed and the covers do a better job at muffling them. And my roller bolts had so much slop I had to use the extra shims they provided where normally you just use one. The flyweights were especially sloppy with a ton of side to side movement.

As far as the Comfort portion of the kit is concerned, this is a 110% improvement. Nice and easy engagement at a much lower RPM so no more hanging on to dear life when just trying to move slow, and the backshift is so smooooooth! No more getting thrown over the handlebars when you let go of the throttle. It still does some engine braking but nowhere as bad as before. It may lead to more brake use and wear but I prefer this much more.

My son is now interested in getting this for his Nytro. He especially hates the backshift.

Thanks for the review. I'll look into this for my wife's Venture GT.

After running this clutch setup a while, I made a couple of observations.

It's become a pig on gas. I used to be able to run all day on a single tank but now, after about 160km, I'm down to my second last bar and I had to refuel. I might switch my primary spring back just to confirm that this may be what's affecting my fuel mileage. I doubt that the slightly smaller rollers has anything to do with it.

And yesterday, for the first time ever on a Yamaha belt, I blew a belt. Not super catastrophic, just some inner cogs let go and was left with an outer belt with missing cogs. Quick change to my spare and I was good for the rest of the day. Mind you, I have no idea how old this belt was as it came with the sled when I bought it 3 years ago. Last I checked it was still within wear specs and in good condition. It might have just been way past its best before date. I picked up a new one during the ride and will put that one in and will paint the date and KM on it.

I was always interested in this clutch kit but in the pass Ive had questionable results with other sleds. What you gain in one area you loose in others it seems. I dont want to be loosing fuel economy. Range of the sled is everything when you do long rides. I was out riding Monday and put 172 kms on my sled. Still had 3 bars of fuel.

I was out riding Monday and put 172 kms on my sled. Still had 3 bars of fuel.
That is really good for a Nytro with their small tanks. Better than my GT!

I just switched my spring back and the grabbyness of the primary isn't that much different, maybe a little higher RPM. My original spring is pink-pink-pink which seems to be original with part number 90501-601L7-00. There were no colours on the Comfort Clutch spring. I'll see if it makes a difference in fuel consumption and if it doesn't, I'll try changing the rollers back too.

The RS Nytro has the bigger 38 litre tank. I can almost get 240kms out of it if I keep the speeds reasonable.

in personal experiance, ventures are clutched for comfort with a fair bit of belt slip. re clutched, they become snappy and keep decent fuel milage when flipper is not abused.

Mileage seems to be a bit better with the original spring and a new belt. I think I'm still conditioned by the mileage I used to get with my MP. I think I'll just have to live with it.

Quiet clutch kit was useless. It still sounds like a diesel. I know my stub shaft has quite a bit of freeplay. Why they put so much freeplay is beyond me.

You'll never completely quiet down the clutch, as you have discovered. I took all of the free-play out of the rollers and weights in my clutch, and it made no difference. It is the splined shaft that causes the diesel knock, as you stated. But once above engagement I never notice it. I don't think your new clutch spring could have altered your fuel mileage, it just engages a bit lower. Same peak rpm and overall spring rate I presume. Trail conditions and thumb make the difference between 14mpg and 18mpg on my sled, at least.

I installed the quiet comfort kit on both my Phazers this season. HUGE improvement in low speed drivability! I haven't noticed any reduction in fuel mileage, possibly a tad better but then conditions are always changing so it's hard to tell.

The rattling noise improved on both, more on one than the other despite everything being installed with the same clearances. I noticed on the noisier clutch that the plastic sliders are just ever so slightly looser than the other. This is most likely causing the added noise. I'll shim them up during the off season to see if that helps. Either way they're fine once zipping down the trail. Overall I'm super happy with the new smoothness.

Back