• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RTX DX skid removal help

picasso

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
SR Viper R-TX DX
Looking for a walk thru on how to remove and install my skid. Do I need to loosen the track? Maybe an order of operation. Do I have to do anything with the big tortion spring?

Thanks for the help!

There are a couple videos out there. Hope this link worked. You loosen two bolts on each side where torsion basically attach. I loosened my track a bit to make it easier. Key is get the rear tunnel up very high. Use hoist or cable attached to a roof beam in garage. Once loose, the front of skid is just unhook from the front bar and merely pulls off as it basically floats there.

When you reinstall you need to compress the rear shock a bit to get the two bolts to line up again. I used a ratchet strap. Really not much to it just a little wrestling....

Maybe video is worth a sticky in FAQ

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...2A079FC4AF5395D03C4F2A079FC4AF539&FORM=VRDGAR

There are a couple videos out there. Hope this link worked. You loosen two bolts on each side where torsion basically attach. I loosened my track a bit to make it easier. Key is get the rear tunnel up very high. Use hoist or cable attached to a roof beam in garage. Once loose, the front of skid is just unhook from the front bar and merely pulls off as it basically floats there.

When you reinstall you need to compress the rear shock a bit to get the two bolts to line up again. I used a ratchet strap. Really not much to it just a little wrestling....

Maybe video is worth a sticky in FAQ

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...2A079FC4AF5395D03C4F2A079FC4AF539&FORM=VRDGAR

Thank you! That was just what I was looking for. I messed up and took the very front bolts out. I also wasn’t sure about the one with the 7/8 in on the back side. Ultimately I am pulling this so I can replace the rear shock. The torsion spring is in the way. I can’t pull the bolt for the shock out, the tortion spring is in the way. Now to get it all back in! Lol!

Thank you! That was just what I was looking for. I messed up and took the very front bolts out. I also wasn’t sure about the one with the 7/8 in on the back side. Ultimately I am pulling this so I can replace the rear shock. The torsion spring is in the way. I can’t pull the bolt for the shock out, the tortion spring is in the way. Now to get it all back in! Lol!
The bolt for shock will clear the torsions. Just remove tension from them by removing spring loop on long end.

Got the skid out. Everything switched out. Now to put it back in. Not totally sure what to do with torsion springs. That will be my next hurdle, hooking them back up.

Got the skid out. Everything switched out. Now to put it back in. Not totally sure what to do with torsion springs. That will be my next hurdle, hooking them back up.
Hook short end on adjuster and long end can be moved up by hand nad held with hammer handle between skid and spring while you get bolt in. Or you can slot the safety loops so you never have to remove those bolts again.

Last edited:
Here
DSC00899.JPG

That is a good idea! Wrestling the skid in trying to get on front shaft! Bought ready to blow a nut! Lol!

Got it in. Used that method, kinda. Sled jacked up in back. Track on floor jack, and a foot on rear tri- hub pushing back while I bench pressed skid from right side. Only blew one nut out! Now I’m getting ready to adjust track tension. Got to read up on that. Any hints or suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited:
I think it’s all good. Manual says 2 in. of slop with 20 Lbs force with track hanging. I don’t have something to measure that. I do have something to measure 10 Lbs of force for my Harley drive belt, so I’ll guesstimate using that. An u have another Viper Rtx DX. I’ll gauge it with that too I guess.

I will say, I pulled this to replace the rear shock. Funny story though. I replaced it with a 17 viper shock. Mine is a 15. Different part numbers. Looks like the exact same shock, same size body, same size shaft. Even same color. Kinda bummed. Thought the new ones are bigger, better. Think it’s the same shock.

Back