• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RTX DX skid removal help

I will say, I pulled this to replace the rear shock. Funny story though. I replaced it with a 17 viper shock. Mine is a 15. Different part numbers. Looks like the exact same shock, same size body, same size shaft. Even same color. Kinda bummed. Thought the new ones are bigger, better. Think it’s the same shock.
Yup 15 is about when they started putting 2.0 on all rears but not all. 16 is when they valved them much better so even though it looks the same internal valving is different and would cost you $80+ shipping for a shock guy like me to revalve it for you. Better than the 16's.

I’ll see how it feels, might take you up on the re valve. Seems to be a bit better just bouncing on it in the garage.

Pulling the skid, I learned a few things about the suspension though. I really thought there was a lot more tension on the torsion springs. They intimidated me a bit. Not so bad. They really need to be disconnected in the front, makes everything easier going back in. Didn’t even need the ratchet strap to compress the skid going back in. Worst part was getting the front up and on the shaft. Also next time probably won’t loosen up track adjusters.

I think I’ll get new bolts and the funky 7/8 in nuts for next time. The threads don’t look great on those and they went back in really hard. Think they might be meant to replace them?

Oh, there are little star shaped retainers on the shaft of the triangle shaped blocks. These triangle shaped blocks are what the short legs of the torsion springs rest on. They adjust tension. Anyways, one of those retainers is missing. They keep the triangle blocks from sliding off the shaft. Probably more for assembly, I’m thinking. I think once there is tension, there is no way they could slide off. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
7C62740C-679F-4642-A318-4A1264BC0D5A.jpeg
This is my makeshift sled hoist. Little giant ladder, /sledhoist!

I’ll see how it feels, might take you up on the re valve. Seems to be a bit better just bouncing on it in the garage.

Pulling the skid, I learned a few things about the suspension though. I really thought there was a lot more tension on the torsion springs. They intimidated me a bit. Not so bad. They really need to be disconnected in the front, makes everything easier going back in. Didn’t even need the ratchet strap to compress the skid going back in. Worst part was getting the front up and on the shaft. Also next time probably won’t loosen up track adjusters.

I think I’ll get new bolts and the funky 7/8 in nuts for next time. The threads don’t look great on those and they went back in really hard. Think they might be meant to replace them?

Oh, there are little star shaped retainers on the shaft of the triangle shaped blocks. These triangle shaped blocks are what the short legs of the torsion springs rest on. They adjust tension. Anyways, one of those retainers is missing. They keep the triangle blocks from sliding off the shaft. Probably more for assembly, I’m thinking. I think once there is tension, there is no way they could slide off. Any thoughts on this?
I would replace washer but you are right not really needed but just in case.

View attachment 134547 This is my makeshift sled hoist. Little giant ladder, /sledhoist!

creative lift. better than a bike hook from the ceiling!! lol

FYI - I have the same rotopax on my sled with the same tunnel bag. My can fits inside the bag in case you wanted to consider that... I will see if I have a link and send it to you.

Back