• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Running engine with no belt on it

slowride06er

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Apex
I was told long time ago never to run engine and rev it without a belt on it. Ive herd of people doing this and would like others ideas about that. I'm sure the list of why not to do this is longer than the list of to do this.

IMO, it's not an issue if you ease into the throttle per se; it's when you whack the throttle and then cause the primary moveable sheave to smack into the fixed sheave since there is no belt to prevent this from doing so is when it's not a good thing. If I ever do do this, I'm always conscientious of keeping the RPMs low enough so as to not even engage/move the primary sheave.

Is it possible to over rev engine without belt on causing engine and or clutch damage

I'm curious why you're asking about running with the belt off?

I'm curious why you're asking about running with the belt off?
There was a posted video on here that sparked a conversation with another user. They had posted video running sled with belt off. I sent a nice pm to them not sure if be doing that. They asked why. That's where I'm at because I was told not to and I don't do this. The engine was revved up a few times in video although it didn't seem like the revs were higher.

There was a posted video on here that sparked a conversation with another user. They had posted video running sled with belt off. I sent a nice pm to them not sure if be doing that. They asked why. That's where I'm at because I was told not to and I don't do this. The engine was revved up a few times in video although it didn't seem like the revs were higher.
Copy, personally I don't run it with the belt off but in the rare case I do, it's only at idle or minor revs not to the point of clutch engagement. I agree high revs the clutch will slam together and there's high potential of it exploding catastrophically.

Back